Solteks vs PHIDs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, personally I don't think its the alumium FJR subframe, or front stay, or whatever that is bending. I am a little rusty on my metallurgy, but it's aluminum and I am pretty sure it is therefore brittle, and will not bend. Only break. Steel on the other hand, does bend. I don't know where the motion is coming from, but my bet is that it is NOT from the front subframe.

However, I still would be concerned about failure to the front subframe where the brackets mount due to long-term fatigue. Those Soltkes are heavy. Only time will tell. Don's is a good lab rat with his daily abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry, I have used 910,s FF200 HID'S and Solteks. The FF200's don't light up the road as far as the 910's or Solteks but they have a wider beam that is much better for twisty roads at night. One thinng about them is I could not find any place that would sell me a replacement lens after a rock shattered mine.

Currently I am using Solteks with Chinese HID Hi-LO beam in my stock lights which light up the sides of the road for cornering pretty good. If you never have used Aux HID'S there is one thing you should know, they are so bright that when you dim them for an on coming car it's like turning your light off completly. You really need a HID bulb in your low beam so you can still see.

Dumb Question. Am I correct that by the time you get a set of Solteks, the mounting brackets, and associated wiring, we are talking about just over $1K?

I am thinking about adding some lights on my bike, and it sounds like the Solteks are the way to go on a Gen II, unless some stress issues come up.

Dumb Question. Am I correct that by the time you get a set of Solteks, the mounting brackets, and associated wiring, we are talking about just over $1K?
Yeah, unless you got in on the last group buy. I'd wait around to see what the next one is, but even at a jumbo, they're still worth it. What's an avoided nocturnal animal strike worth?

Portable daylight: Its a good thing!

Yeah, unless you got in on the last group buy. I'd wait around to see what the next one is, but even at a jumbo, they're still worth it. What's an avoided nocturnal animal strike wort
Ahhh--yup!!
And you know those guys with the really bright lights on their "towny-bar-hopping" 4X4s who like to run their driving lights to impress others? They can be influenced to dim their damned blinding lights! Yes they can... heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh... in the darkness on Hwy 4...heh-heh-heh-heh-heh... even when they ignore you when you don't see you flash your brights..heh-heh-heh-heh-heh :yahoo:

I am thinking about adding some lights on my bike, and it sounds like the Solteks are the way to go on a Gen II, unless some stress issues come up.
That is not at all a dumb question. I have invested a lot trying to figure out the best combination for auxiliary lights and brackets to support them.

On January 16th, Warchild told us to hold off for "a week to 10 days". According to my calculations, we are down to 6 days or less. Hell, news could come as early as the day after tomorrow.

So I think I'm going to give these telescoping things a go, they seem cheap enough and should be pretty straight forward to undo them right?

I saw an FJR with them at the IBR start point and was pretty damn impressed with how bright they were. (May not have been these exact lights).

What color temperature is 'ideal' or what range should I ask for when I order them up.

Correct.

5000K is generally acceptable, if you can't obtain 4300K.

6000K, you're starting to get fairly noticeable hues of blue, and definitely less usable lumens.

Correct.
5000K is generally acceptable, if you can't obtain 4300K.

6000K, you're starting to get fairly noticeable hues of blue, and definitely less usable lumens.

Just as an asside, this particular ebay seller only has 6000k on up 'in stock'. Claims he can get 4300k and/or 5000k lights but they are special order.

Don't know what that means yet in terms of price or delivery time.

-MD

OK I ordered them and requested 43k, he claims this isn't an issue other than the poor weather in China might affect the shipping.

We'll see.

These with my refurbished Motolights should give me what I want for now. They aren't Soltech's but they weren't a grand either.

I will report when they are installed.

OK I ordered them and requested 43k, he claims this isn't an issue other than the poor weather in China might affect the shipping.
We'll see.

These with my refurbished Motolights should give me what I want for now. They aren't Soltech's but they weren't a grand either.

I will report when they are installed.
I was surprised to receive them in 1 week. I figured they'd be pawing over them in customs for at least that long. I guess they must have passed the drug doggie sniff test... ;)

Well surprise, surprise, surprise. Look what was waiting for me when I got home... My new lights...

but..

They aren't what I asked for, they are 6000k lights. So we'll see how he handles it after promising me 4300k lights.

:/ Grrrrrrrrrr

Live by the deal, die by the deal.

I own a single working HID headlight capsule for my Land Cruiser, after the other one blew chow after one week. At $100.00 shipped, I figure it isn't worth the grief to chase down somebody on ebay in China to try and get some help.

Next time, the American guy gets my business.

Latest posts