Something All FJR Owners Should Know

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 06 has 6k on it and it will not loft the front wheel on it's own.
I bet yours will power wheelie. At least the 08 I test rode would. Try this: In 1st gear take your FJR casually up to 6500 rpm. Now, quickly shut throttle all the way off, and then instantly get it full on again.

Oh yeah, hang on. :D
Well if snappin the gas is a power wheelie then mine will to. Through two gears. Then the front comes down and that long wheel base makes it feel like it hurts the bike. Not a crotch rocket,,, not a crotch rocket,,, not a crotch rocket,,, I consider a power wheelie the kind that will walk the front end up under acceleration with no change in throttle postion. Best bike I ever had for those was my R1.... better than my old busa. The FJR is a different kind of animal... I referr to it as an "endurance" rocket. LOL

This is just a bunch of hoop-la. There are bikes here that have well over 100,000 mi. and still running with no issues. I see no problem for the FJR engine to run 200,000+ if its maintained and not abused too much. This IMO is one of the most sound bikes I've owned and consider it bullet proof. Yes she is a good ol' girl. A little over weight, top heavy but rock steady and a dependable platform. That's what I'm talkin about......PM. <>< :yahoo:

My 05 would pull the front wheel up WOT in 1st gear, without closing the throttle. The 08 will not.
Both bikes are more than capable of a 2nd gear power on wheelie, exactly as Skooter described. 3rd gear takes the clutch to get it up.
The combination of the taller rear-end gearing and longer swingarm will do that for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just a bunch of hoop-la. There are bikes here that have well over 100,000 mi. and still running with no issues. I see no problem for the FJR engine to run 200,000+ if its maintained and not abused too much. This IMO is one of the most sound bikes I've owned and consider it bullet proof. Yes she is a good ol' girl. A little over weight, top heavy but rock steady and a dependable platform. That's what I'm talkin about......PM. <>< :yahoo:
And I know and ride with several of those people. I used to thing the same way as you.

Two points for you to consider:

How many miles do you have?

What's your compression?

When you have that info, chime in. I'd love to see what compression levels are on some of the 100k+ bikes, but like most people, it doesn't get checked until some issue comes up.

And I know and ride with several of those people. I used to thing the same way as you.

Two points for you to consider:

How many miles do you have?

What's your compression?

When you have that info, chime in. I'd love to see what compression levels are on some of the 100k+ bikes, but like most people, it doesn't get checked until some issue comes up.
Exactly. And you do not have an issue attributable to worn rings, bad compression or high leak down. You have cam chain noise (your words) which you can recognize because you've had it before. So why not fix the chain noise and ride the bike until you have an actual problem like rough running, low power, oil consumption, etc. You know, one where the symptoms would suggest checking the compression or leak down...

BTW, I have only a bit over 20k on my '05 and have no reason to check my compression or leakdown, so I won't.

So I'm shopping around for an FJR now. Reading thru this thread has me thinking... Obviously, anything touched by human hands has a possibility for defects. Based on the responses of the vast majority, I'm wondering if this is just a fluke :unsure: . But, I don't want to spend my hard-earned $$$ on a bike that going to crap out at 60K, WTF...

So I'm shopping around for an FJR now. Reading thru this thread has me thinking... Obviously, anything touched by human hands has a possibility for defects. Based on the responses of the vast majority, I'm wondering if this is just a fluke :unsure: . But, I don't want to spend my hard-earned $$$ on a bike that going to crap out at 60K, WTF...
97 Yamaha Royal Star = 125,000 miles Rotella T 15X40 Walmart Super Tech Filter & antifreeze

05 Yamaha Venturer = 60,000 miles " " " " " " "

06 YAMAHA FJR1300 = 26,000 miles " " " " " " "

Stop dicking around and go buy the FJR

Looks like you stepped in it this time Eric. You try to educate the masses with a little information and those experts among us want to argue about it. I am going to have mine opened up soon and I will PM you the result. I have about 75k and is a recovering ticker.

It's been my personal experience over the years, that compression readings have the most meaning when you can check the history on a particular motor. Of course, almost nobody is going to do a compression check at 600 or 4,000 miles on their new FJR.

I'm planning to do some major teardown this winter and replace cam chain and tensioner on my 07. It should have about 65,000 by then. I do wish I had seen this thread before tonight, because I JUST replaced plugs yesterday and could have run a compression test to see what my 50,000 mile readings are.

What concerns me the least about OCFJR's compression readings are the numbers themselves. Too many unknown variables at this point.

What were the numbers when the bike was new? Hot or cold test? And so many of the other points previously raised above.

The numbers across all cylinders are reasonably equal. It's pretty rare to find all four cylinders "worn out" that equally. Engines will typically wear very differently across multiple cylinders, once enough tolerance/clearance is induced to loose appreciable compression. So the closely matching compression numbers would comfort me.

Personally, I DO appreciate OCFJR's post. I appreciate the possible heads-up.

But like several others who posted responses, I would be inclined to de-carbonize that baby and ride it for a while, before declaring it worn out. Regardless of what the compression numbers may be saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, is this another reason why I can't buy an FJR 1300 for my next bike. I normally do around 45000 kays (28000 miles) a year, and their is no way I am going to pay around $22000 Aust for a bike that only lasts a couple of years. Hmmm me thinks it works out to around $200 a week for a bile that has to be thrown away in a couple of years. Some how doesn't make sense to me.

I'm sorry, but can't you read? That's the dumbest thing I've read on here all day.

Go buy a BMW. They're problem free.

So, is this another reason why I can't buy an FJR 1300 for my next bike. I normally do around 45000 kays (28000 miles) a year, and their is no way I am going to pay around $22000 Aust for a bike that only lasts a couple of years. Hmmm me thinks it works out to around $200 a week for a bile that has to be thrown away in a couple of years. Some how doesn't make sense to me.

You need to talk to SkooterG and ask him how many miles are on his "nasty whore."

nGA, so glad you posted that response. I was considering doing such, but lately I'm working on being less critical and trying desperately to improve my image.

:)

nGA, so glad you posted that response. I was considering doing such, but lately I'm working on being less critical and trying desperately to improve my image. :)
Jeff, yer image is shot already so shoot from the hip with deadly accuracy like always, k?

It's been my personal experience over the years, that compression readings have the most meaning when you can check the history on a particular motor. Of course, almost nobody is going to do a compression check at 600 or 4,000 miles on their new FJR.<snip>

What concerns me the least about OCFJR's compression readings are the numbers themselves. Too many unknown variables at this point.

What were the numbers when the bike was new? Hot or cold test? And so many of the other points previously raised above.

<snip>

Personally, I DO appreciate OCFJR's post. I appreciate the possible heads-up.

But like several others who posted responses, I would be inclined to de-carbonize that baby and ride it for a while, before declaring it worn out. Regardless of what the compression numbers may be saying.
Thanks for the excellent reading comprehension. I'm not so much saying my engine is worn out, I'm telling you guys what Yamaha & the dealer is telling me. As Ashe states above, w/o the history on the motor, with tests at different points over the mileage, the numbers I have now are not enough to convince Yamaha that perhaps there is some other issue at hand. And frankly are not definitive diagnosis for anything either.

This post is about two things, letting people know what happened so far to me, and letting you folks know that perhaps you need to do some compression tests when you're doing other service during the life of your bike so that you have more data than I do at this point. I'd have loved to know what was going on at 26k, 52k, 68k (when the first cam chain tensioner was replaced), and now. That might give me a lot better picture of what was going on, and just might have made it more likely that Yamaha would tell the shop to tear into it, rather than just telling them it's "worn out". And also to see what this crowd would come up with for suggestions. There is a lot of knowledge here.

For all you that say these motors last longer, or should last longer, etc. Don't you think Yamaha would be the one saying that? Shouldn't they be the first one's to say, whoa, somethings not right here? And do note just how far the scheduled service page goes in your owner's manual.

And hey, I do appreciate the tips. I'm familiar with most of the products mentioned and their use. And while I am a steady rider, anyone that's ridden with me will tell you I don't baby the bike. I'm not a total hooligan either.