Spare Key(s) While Touring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin

Reaction score
I've done a fair bit of touring around over the last year. Just now I'm starting to get sensible. I've been reading that in the packing list you should bring some spare keys.

Where do you carry them? I figure my normal keys will be in my jacket when not riding anyway. i'll carry around the tank bag for the most part, but that seems to be more nick-able than my jacket. i have zipable pockets, but won't always wear those trousers (it gets hot, so i'm trying out some draggin jeans this time).

what do you guys do?

thanks,

-colin

This is a trick question, right? ;) You want me to tell you where I hide my spare keys, right? <_< Then you or anyone else can "borrow" my FJR, right? :beee:

Actually, I carry to sets of extra keys. One in my riding pants for easy access and to use for the sidecases when the key is in the ignition, etc., and the other is kept......

I tape a set (Yamaha and Givi) together, flat, with duct tape. That way I am not tempted to employ my spare set for normal use and thereby become more likely to lose it. I keep the set in a pants pocket believing that I am more likely to lose my jacket than my pants ..... the potential scenarios in both case being too varied and, of course too graphic, to list here :jerry:

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I'll bite- I NEVER leave home with onj key (ok, far from home.) using a velcro "hid-a-key", I placed it within the bikes bodywork.... think of a good spot, shouldn't be to hard. :haha:

Like others, I keep an extra set in my inner jacket pocket. I've already had the case where I pulled something out of my pants pocket and the ignition key came out....somewhere. I wasn't too stressed out because I had the spare. Some hours later, I did find the lost key.

I also keep a third set at home, in case I have to call my wife to bring it out to me.

Ron

I carry two sets of spare keys that fit the bike, Givi box, and cable lock. One set is tucked away in my riding gear. Another set is stashed out of site in a spot not easily accessible on the bike itself.

I use a spare zipped compartment on my tank bag. Sure, if someone knicks my tank bag, they get a key, but I don't think I'm going to coincidently get my tank bag stolen and lose my regular key. If they steal the tank bag, I've got bigger problems than a lost key.

A otherwise unused and zippered compartment in your riding gear is also a good place.

If it fits, keeping a spare key in a wallet compartment makes sense.

Some guys find a spot on the bike to hide it, but I don't think this is a great idea unless you remove it when parking at night and this is a lot of hassle.

Think also about the scenario of losing your wallet. In addition to a key, keep some money and an extra credit card somewhere, especially if you're traveling alone.

I also like to run all my credit cards through the xerox machine (front and back) and store this with the money/card stash. If you lose your wallet, you know exactly what you had in it and can call all the 800 numbers to cancel the cards. I've had this happen once.

- Mark

As a last resort you can also carry the key's five digit number somewhere that you have easy access to (the number I am referring to is the one that they want ypu to write in your owner's manual which will probably be stored under a locked seat). This is not an easy solution to the lost key problem but if you have the number you can call a locksmith and he can cut a new key. Getting the new key to your bike might be a problem but not quite as big of problem as no key at all.

I'm embarrassed to say that I never even thought about having a spare key with me... Guess I will now! I think I'll chain it to the one in my ignition...

Mine is in my wallet. It's small enough that I never notice it, but it's always with me. Little risk of theft as there's rarely any money in there. ;)

I'm glad I took a 2nd key with me on the SW-FOG rally because before I left Taos, I couldn't find my original! Good thing I had a spare.

On my trip up through the Rockies later this month :p I'm going to take 2 extras: one I'll stash on the bike somewhere, one in my wallet, and one I use regularly.

I believe in keeping the spare key up my arse, that way I always know where it is, and whether I have it with me or not. It's a bit disgusting if the day comes when I actually NEED the spare key. :bad: But I guess that's just good motivation to avoid losing it in the first place. :blink:

Hey Windjammer

May be your 'handle' should be "Keyjammer"! :haha:

If you ever need to retrieve it, guess you'll find out who your REAL friends are!

Dog tags and spare key hanging from my neck.

If I crash, I want the authorities to know who I am, my blood type, and my wife's phone number. If I loose the key, then I have a spare right there.

Lots of protective gear... I look like the michelin man!!!
michelin_man.gif

I always carry a backup key,and the extra cash , serial # and the dog tags are good ideas..... but the azzkey... bad idea! :headbonk: