Spare Key(s) While Touring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I "hide" my spare key in the pocket of the jeans I'm wearing.

I figure if I put them on the bike someone might find it and if I carry it in the jacket it might get stolen so I just keep it on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a really dumb thing to do. . . go get some spare keys made and go to the hardware store and get some black knobs like off small appliances, cut the tops of the keys and glue them into slots cut into the knobs and then keep them permanently in the bag latches and top trunk. Works for me and since I trust everybody I don't worry about theft (unless I'm in some really seedy areas) it sure makes it handy for getting into luggage at will. But, that's just my silly way of making life a little easier.
What's to keep the bags from accidentally opening while riding?

Having lost my Aussie FJR's little red key I cant get any f*****g spare keys to carry unless I spend AU$2,500! Our keys have a transponder in them and unless it is coded to the system no key will work and you need the little red key to code them - so don't loose ya little red key - if yours didn't have one (ya bastard mad.gif ) your ok!
Is that per an AU law?

I know there are lots of people concerned with the security of the internet but for years I have been scanning copies of documents (insurance, etc) and credit cards and emailing them to myself. Then should I ever lose my wallet I just need to get to the internet and I can reproduce copies.
I thought of this when I used to backpack overseas a lot. As they suggested I had a copy of my passport, but didn't know what to do if I lost that too. I started giving copies to a friend who could fax them to me if needed. Then with the advent of the internet (and internet cafe) I realized I could just store them in my email account and get access as quick as that.

gypsy

PS: This doesn't help with the key question!

From what I hear as to where we all like to ride. (out in the boonies) it would only take about 2 days walking to get to a computer. Not too good an Idea. How about a key taped inside your boot top?? For a KICK start??

CK

Onstar does it for me :rolleyes:

DAMN!!! A CHEVY BIKE. I WANT ONE! I would just love a bike where all the plastic cracked and fell off before I had 100 miles on it!

What will GM think of next? :yahoo:

CK

Here's a really dumb thing to do. . . go get some spare keys made and go to the hardware store and get some black knobs like off small appliances, cut the tops of the keys and glue them into slots cut into the knobs and then keep them permanently in the bag latches and top trunk. Works for me and since I trust everybody I don't worry about theft (unless I'm in some really seedy areas) it sure makes it handy for getting into luggage at will. But, that's just my silly way of making life a little easier.
Anybody remember the name of the guy who would take your locks and convert them into buttons that would open without keys? You could still choose to lock them with the key.

Started to send him mine, but was rushing before a trip. Wish I had...

Jim/fjrjonesin'

Many years ago, I had access to a phenolic label engraving machine. I had attached a small tag with only my home address on it to my keys. While up by Hudson Bay I lost my keys on a road made of stones the size of your fist.

Fortunately, I had spares & continued my trip.

When I arrived home a few weeks later, my keys were waiting at the post office (with postage due).

Just don't keep your house key with the address tag!

dobias :glare:

Depending on your helmet design, you can usually tuck a key blank (without the black plastic) in your helmet between the liner and the foam. Make sure you duct tape it securely, first!

I just put one in the little compartment on the left fairing of my '07 . That way, if I lose my key I can just....Wait, you need the key to open that? Oh.
Not if you removed the solenoid... like I did. Great tip.

But I like the helmet one better; never heard of that one before. Plus it's better not to have a spare on the bike itself for obvious reasons. Later.

JC