Spare Key(s) While Touring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry a lock pick set, that way I always have all the keys. As well as a spare Ignition and Givi key set in a pocket of my stich.

When traveling I keep a full set (ignition, gun/helmet lock & disc lock) zip tied to my belt loop. Unless someone mugs me for my pants, I'm not going to lose them.

I don't keep them in anything that can be lost or stolen (jacket, riding pants, wallet, tank bag, etc) or anywhere they can fall out of (jacket, riding pants, wallet, tank bag, etc).

I'm paranoid about losing the ones I use, I'd go nuts worrying about two sets. Also, zip ties are cheap, durable and easy to store.

Belt loops are usually sewn rather well but it is good to check the stitching of the loop you pick.

I've been reading that in the packing list you should bring some spare keys.
The very best way to make sure you lose your key is to carry a spare. The human brain can only keep track of one vital item of a category at a time. This has been verified by experiments conducted at the University of Hardknocks.

I always carry two, one in my boot with my Bowie knife and one inside my jacket with my 44 Smith & Wesson magnum. No seriously I like our friend TWN, just realized I need to carry a spare. Woops. PM. <>< :D

Taped to the top of the tank......no seriously, i have bypassed the ignition so I don't need one.......no seriously, the wife carries a full set.

Gee, I don't know about you guys, but I have a complete set in one of the panniers with an ignition key glued to the bike.

jim

I have a spare key cut at a locksmith on one of those flat headed blanks. It then goes in my wallet behind my drivers license. Seeing as my wallet is always in my pocket, I always have my spare key.
But won't this damage the prophylactic? :glare:
:lol: Now you've gone and done it. I feel REAL old now.

I've done a fair bit of touring around over the last year. Just now I'm starting to get sensible. I've been reading that in the packing list you should bring some spare keys.
Where do you carry them? I figure my normal keys will be in my jacket when not riding anyway. i'll carry around the tank bag for the most part, but that seems to be more nick-able than my jacket. i have zipable pockets, but won't always wear those trousers (it gets hot, so i'm trying out some draggin jeans this time).

what do you guys do?

thanks,

-colin
Having lost my Aussie FJR's little red key I cant get any f*****g spare keys to carry unless I spend AU$2,500! Our keys have a transponder in them and unless it is coded to the system no key will work and you need the little red key to code them - so don't loose ya little red key - if yours didn't have one (ya bastard :angry: ) your ok!

I've done a fair bit of touring around over the last year. Just now I'm starting to get sensible. I've been reading that in the packing list you should bring some spare keys.
Where do you carry them? I figure my normal keys will be in my jacket when not riding anyway. i'll carry around the tank bag for the most part, but that seems to be more nick-able than my jacket. i have zipable pockets, but won't always wear those trousers (it gets hot, so i'm trying out some draggin jeans this time).

what do you guys do?

thanks,

-colin

what do you guys do?

thanks,

-colin
Here's a really dumb thing to do. . . go get some spare keys made and go to the hardware store and get some black knobs like off small appliances, cut the tops of the keys and glue them into slots cut into the knobs and then keep them permanently in the bag latches and top trunk. Works for me and since I trust everybody I don't worry about theft (unless I'm in some really seedy areas) it sure makes it handy for getting into luggage at will. But, that's just my silly way of making life a little easier.

Wow. I guess I've been lucky. Haven't needed them. Now ya'll got me paranoid.

I just put one in the little compartment on the left fairing of my '07 . That way, if I lose my key I can just....

Wait, you need the key to open that? Oh.

Well, I could put it in the saddlebag.

Oh yeah, they lock too.

Um, guess I better rethink this..... :blinksmiley:

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. can't believe this thread showed up after almost 2 years!

thanks for the info. I like the bit about putting the key in the little panel on the left..... good idea.....

Here's a really dumb thing to do. . . go get some spare keys made and go to the hardware store and get some black knobs like off small appliances, cut the tops of the keys and glue them into slots cut into the knobs and then keep them permanently in the bag latches and top trunk. Works for me and since I trust everybody I don't worry about theft (unless I'm in some really seedy areas) it sure makes it handy for getting into luggage at will. But, that's just my silly way of making life a little easier.
This is a great idea. Thanks.

The bag lock system on FJR's is a PITA. Indwelling but removable "knobkeys" may be the solution.

But, on my bags the key only goes in about half way. So, the knobkeys I made stick out way too far and are likely candidates for traumatic amputation. I'm gonig to shorten the knobkeys so that the knobs rest on the surface of the lock. While the shortened knobkeys won't work for ignition keys, that's also a plus in terms of leaving them in the bags without worrying about the bike being driven off. I'll put the spare ignition key elsewhere.

Bill

I just put one in the little compartment on the left fairing of my '07 . That way, if I lose my key I can just....

Wait, you need the key to open that? Oh.

Well, I could put it in the saddlebag.

Oh yeah, they lock too.

Um, guess I better rethink this..... :blinksmiley:
+1

:blink: I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone here and the good questions you come up with, along with the solutions to those questions.

I was on a tour last year going through Colorado and stopped off at the Royal Gorge bridge to take some photographic shots.

Since it was so early in the morning and I was the first one there, the good folks told me I could drive onto the bridge, stop, park the bike and take pictures of the bike on the bridge.

So I'm doing that, but as I'm extracting the ignition key from the ignition to open the side case to get the camera out, I realize this would be a real bad thing if I dropped the key onto the bridge and it fell through the cracks between the boards...it's over a thousand feet down to the river.

Up until that point, it had never dawned on me that I should be carrying a spare ignition key and access key to the smuggler. I've been touring about the U.S. and Canada since 1974, ninety nine percent of the time by myself.

I am going out to Wally Mart right now to buy a chain to keep a spare set of keys around my neck whenever I go riding. Thanks for the good question, and better solutions that you all have voiced.

Lost my key in Del Rio Texas (look it up). I am from Toronto Canada, over 2000 miles. Was carrying a spare on dog tags and thank god for that. As I came home, with 1 key only, was completely paranoid. Now thinking I'll carry 2 spares.