Spare Key(s) While Touring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasionally on ebay, spare keys are advertised for sale and cut to the buyer's number

Anyone feel there is a high risk of getting the bike stolen as a result, or would that be too obvious a source of the theft?

Paul

01 fjr

uk

I find that carrying it on my key ring with my main key means I always know where it is. :****:

One taped inside the saddle bag means it never gets lost. :headbonk:

If you want one handy for easy access to the bags, then carrying a sends keyring with all the keys you need (if you have a trunk or disc lock for example). Attach the ring to one of those coiled clips from the local auto shop. Then hook the clip of the coil to the D ring on the inner breast pocket of your riding jacket. Easy access and you can never walk off and leave it or drop it as long as you're wearing your jacket.

35243.jpg

or what I use:

1107614.JPG

As for the source of spare keys, I just go to the local Ace Hardware store and get 'em made for a buck each (or less).

Last edited by a moderator:
Spare ignition key on a laynard, looped around my belt and then tucked in my front pant's pocket. Ignition key comes out of ignition and gets hooked on laynard when I'm off the bike... at least that's the theory. If I forget to remove it or otherwise lose it, the spare key is always on the laynard.

I lost my key at a ralley once. Searched for hours. Eventually found it in the .............yes I had unlocked the seat.

Since then whenever we travel, my wife keeps the spare.

Howard

always something to remember I guess now I'll have to srat carrying one too :clap: up my a55 would be a good place cause cant lose that :haha:

rogerfjrfaster :p

always something to remember I guess now I'll have to srat carrying one too :clap: up my a55 would be a good place cause cant lose that :haha: rogerfjrfaster :p
I'll bet that nobody else would ever touch your keys if that was the case. :eek:

Ron

I know there are lots of people concerned with the security of the internet but for years I have been scanning copies of documents (insurance, etc) and credit cards and emailing them to myself. Then should I ever lose my wallet I just need to get to the internet and I can reproduce copies.

I thought of this when I used to backpack overseas a lot. As they suggested I had a copy of my passport, but didn't know what to do if I lost that too. I started giving copies to a friend who could fax them to me if needed. Then with the advent of the internet (and internet cafe) I realized I could just store them in my email account and get access as quick as that.

gypsy

PS: This doesn't help with the key question!

thanks for the info guys. i've struck out so far with a pillion. might do the wallet thing.... probably will just have two sets in my jacket when walking around. 3rd key is a good idea, gotta order some more then to keep at home and have the housemate mail them to me when i get lost.

unfortunately, my big trip has pretty much been hosed, the keys being the least of my problems. more to come....

-colin

I think it is always a good idea to carry a spare key. What a timely topic as we head into the riding season.

Oh my lord... look how old this thread is! Drug from the depths!

BTW... common sense... keep that spare key in an unlocked location.

I'm not telling where, but my spare key is kept inside the engine block somewhere.. :rolleyes:

Sure, you need a 4mm allan, a #2 phillips, and 10mm small socket with 12" extension, but hey, it's safe! :yahoo:

Debbie has a set of spare keys always with her when we travel, plus, I have a spare along with our medical info and contact #'s (on a 512 meg stick drive) around my neck.

Oh yeah...

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of trying to track down a locksmith in the middle of nowhere (on a Sunday no less) that would cut a key from the master key number, because I didn't have a spare. It sucked, was time consuming and expensive.

I now have a spare yami key in my wallet at all times. Spare Givi can be had by opening side case.

I also have have more than one set, like others so I can get in and out of bags/fuel up, etc w/o taking the key out of the ignition.

I have a spare key cut at a locksmith on one of those flat headed blanks. It then goes in my wallet behind my drivers license. Seeing as my wallet is always in my pocket, I always have my spare key.

I've always kept a spare key on the bike. back in 05 my bike had the ignition recalled and now have 2 keys. one for the ignition and one for everything else. the ignition key and a spare topcase key are taped together and secured/hidden in the tail section of the bike under the seat area, the spare accessory key is in my wallet, which I am obsessive-compulsive about it's whereabouts. If I lose my key ring of originals, I get my spare from my wallet and open the seat for the others.