Speed Cameras & Flip down license plates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirttracker30

Reaction score
With all the speed cameras going up around the country(revenue)including on Interstsate highways(very bad for high speed touring),If a guy was thinking about building a hinged rear plate that was controlled by a 12 volt motor(waterproof)/linkage/handlebar switch,just where would a guy find something like this? Not that I'm working on one..... It would have to fit behind the tailpiece/plate holder,and the linkage arm would need to pivot about 90 degrees start to stop. Has any eleectrical gurus ran across anything like this? I'm thinking a hobby shop might have something. NOT THAT I'M WORKING ON ONE......

my bikes and vehicles have a clear, but "prisim" plate covers that do not allow the characters to be seen from any kind of angle

saved me lots in camera common Nawlins' area since the jerks shortened the yellow and painted a line through the middle of the intersection to hang the most drivers possible

#5 - photoshield cover -> I've had all mine for years and still good to go...no problems with the "authorities" (so far)

https://www.phantomplate.com/

my bikes and vehicles have a clear, but "prisim" plate covers that do not allow the characters to be seen from any kind of anglesaved me lots in camera common Nawlins' area since the jerks shortened the yellow and painted a line through the middle of the intersection to hang the most drivers possible

#5 - photoshield cover -> I've had all mine for years and still good to go...no problems with the "authorities" (so far)

illegal to cover the plate in TX and they can use it for a PC stop on out-of-staters.

I like the solenoid idea. Maybe tie it to the radar detector so it actuates when radar is detected.

I think it would attract less interest from a LEO if you rig some sort of flat plastic or metal piece that pops out horizontally over the top of the plate, effectively shading the license plate from above rather than flipping or covering the license plate directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the speed cameras going up around the country(revenue)including on Interstsate highways(very bad for high speed touring),If a guy was thinking about building a hinged rear plate that was controlled by a 12 volt motor(waterproof)/linkage/handlebar switch,just where would a guy find something like this? Not that I'm working on one..... It would have to fit behind the tailpiece/plate holder,and the linkage arm would need to pivot about 90 degrees start to stop. Has any eleectrical gurus ran across anything like this? I'm thinking a hobby shop might have something. NOT THAT I'M WORKING ON ONE......
Hi DirtTracker,

It's interesting to read of your concept... NOT THAT I HAVE EVER HAD ANY similar musings... The idea that came to my mind was the material used in Welding Helmet Lenses - "Instant Blackness"...

I just watched that idea come to life in the YouTube video just below your original post.

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread now, for better options to source such a material "For Show Purposes Only" - RIGHT?!?!

Shiny Side UP!

Scott

Here is a product that looks like it will work for those of you that face those pesky photo radar cameras. And it's only $20 bucks.

I would be careful with anything that actually flips your plate up, especially if it is connected somehow to your radar detector. Chances are it would flip about the time a LEO was behind you.

Radar Busters

my bikes and vehicles have a clear, but "prisim" plate covers that do not allow the characters to be seen from any kind of anglesaved me lots in camera common Nawlins' area since the jerks shortened the yellow and painted a line through the middle of the intersection to hang the most drivers possible

illegal to cover the plate in TX and they can use it for a PC stop on out-of-staters.
but it is legal to flip it over on demand to hide it ??? :blink: :rolleyes: :yahoo:

<ah crap, why can't I login anymore>

I have seen many, but since you are not working on this....

You may enjoy seeing someone who not only has but is offering them to those who would like to 'study"

The link: https://www.thehoffmangroup.com/c/hidden_li..._kit/Motorcycle

Why not just move the plate up 5 inches and forward 2 inches? The plate can still be seen by LEO from behind but with a GIVI bag the plate can only be seen at a low angle.

I like this as a more pro-active response to tail-gaters, speed cameras, and patrol cars in persuit.
https://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/pro...nc=flamethrower
3442166580_4917304a5d.jpg