Speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xzalion

Reaction score
Hey all.

I like to know from all FJR owners what speed have they push they bikes at? I have an 02 model i had it around 260, & with a litlle harder push 265, is there an fjr that pass this? Like to know & is it stock or not!

My bike has the following.

DND Filter.

Two Brother pipes 4-2.

Hey all.
I like to know from all FJR owners what speed have they push they bikes at? I have an 02 model i had it around 260, & with a litlle harder push 265, is there an fjr that pass this? Like to know & is it stock or not!

DND Filter.

Two Brother pipes 4-2.
I;ve been 145 mph, I'm 320lbs, bike had more, road didnt

There are five speeds.

:rolleyes:

And you didn't go that fast, the speedometer is 5 to 10 percent optimistic. Every FJR on the planet (except the French ones) will have the same top speed, give or take a couple MPH. There's just nowhere to find enough extra horsepower to significantly improve the top speed unless you can spend more money than the bike cost in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
265 KPH?? Admit it dood. You were takin' pot that day wasn't ya...

Klown.

:jester:

Hey all.

DND Filter.

Two Brother pipes 4-2.
The only acceptable speed proof is one from your GPS's maximum speed function. Post a picture of it. I have been to 135 but the GPS says it was really 128.4.

I guess a performance award would also be acceptable with proof of your bike getting impounded.

Oops, I just realized that you are posting KPH rather than MPH. I guess 260 KPH is around 100 MPH (but us Americans have bad math skills).

EVEN if we have the power, we run out of RPM room anyway. I have heard that these bikes are just at red line at top speed. Unless someone can figure out how to add some room there, all more power will do is get you to top end red line faster.

Well, can't say with any certainty at all...

I was on the longest, straightest, flattest "non-drivewayed", unpopulated country stretch (way up in Northern Ontario) that I have EVER seen about a month back. ALL open fields for miles. NO Trees, NO Woods. Just a GIANT stretch of smooth blacktop!! YES - OF COURSE it could NOT be resisted...

I have no idea how long it took to get to 250 - that was a breeze - acceleration changed VERY substantially beyond that though... It seemed to take a very long time to indicate 260...

270 finally arrived though (yes Guys, I know - Indicated) seemed like it took miles! Given that I was inhaling about 3.5 miles per minute, (Yes, the world's truly a blur at that speed) !! It must have been about an 8 mile strip before I shut 'er down... Don't decide to stretch your leg out at that point though!!! The Wind Pressure is incredible!!! BTW, this was with stock shield raised about 75% to "hide" behind...

Given that the "Sweetest Spot" on my '09 is 140-160kph, with 140 falling EXACTLY on 4500, it would THEORETICALLY be possible to hit 280 at the 9K Redline. I think it might need an Edwards Air Force Base length Runway to ever get there though...

That's my 2 cents...

Scott

There are five speeds.
:rolleyes:

And you didn't go that fast, the speedometer is 5 to 10 percent optimistic. Every FJR on the planet (except the French ones) will have the same top speed, give or take a couple MPH. There's just nowhere to find enough extra horsepower to significantly improve the top speed unless you can spend more money than the bike cost in the first place.
It's interesting to read that the Speedo is 5-10% percent optimistic...

That being the case, I would have saved a sizeable bag of money a week or two back...

The OPP Radar (from the REAR of the SUV vehicle BTW - BEWARE!!! BEWARE!!!) would have SAVED my ASS!! (That's Ontario Provincial Police)

Running at 2 am on an empty Freeway. Indicating 120 kmh... Blue Lights come on and the Cop says "a little fast back there weren't you? I showed you at 121-123 pretty consistently"... I'd told him the truth about running estimated 120...

Can't quite see how that math leads to a 5-10 percent error...

Got any Trial Lawyer Experience to share with me? I could sure use it right about now!!

Cheers,

Scott

At the Stupid Speeds, it could be another story though..

Just my real-world feedback on the Feejers Speedo accuracy at 120 kmh...

Scott

Hi xzalion.

Answering the second portion of your original questions...

No, mine is not stock... But It's darn near it...

- Hindle Supersport Titanium Exhaust added...

- K&N Air Filter added...

- Yamaha Air Box "opened up" to eliminate the "choke" of the air filter inlet is GONE...

Makes a nice throaty sound BTW... I would recommend it to anyone that wants a bit more spunk or throatier "Intake Draw Sound"... Yes - admittedly - more like the Supersport Bikes have to offer...

No Big Bucks. Just a couple of useful Farkles, accompanied by just a bit of wrench/saw time...

Scott

Brief Addendum for this note Folks...

Thank some piece of intuition for the Hard pull on the Binders as I saw the "glow" of someone else on the road that night...

Pulled her down VERY HARD from about 160 before the Radar got a "hold on me"...

That was a fortunate result of the "glow of the tail lights over a very, very slight shallow horizon"...

Thank goodness for Northern Ontario night time "blackness"!! At Times ONLY!! The Critters crossing the road can prove to be deadly... Moose Country - EH!??!

Scott

I know someone who claims to have been 155 mph (227+ kph) with a touring windshield and the panniers installed.

Evidently the last couple of mph were a bit slower than the first but the bike was still "pulling" when the end of the road approached rather rapidly. ;)

So, yes, it can be done. Caution: At that speed wild animals (rabbit, fox, skunk, bird, etc.) could lead to the completion of your destiny on this orb. :eek:

I like to know from all FJR owners what speed have they push they bikes at? I have an 02 model i had it around 260,& with a litlle harder push 265, is there an fjr that pass this? Like to know & is it stock or not!
@ 140 or so with bags on my model yr supposedly developes an instability side to side weave, OK @ 130. don't know if tried w/o bags.

but maybe someone should get back on closed course again and try ...

'02 models reputed to be the fastest; probably 'cuz we didn't get them in the states.

I have an 02 model i had it around 260, & with a litlle harder push 265,
Nice to have a gen1 isn't it!! that's 165MPH and you won't find a gen2 that can even get close to that kind of speed.

BTW:

1175.jpg

and this engine can run on the redline or past repeatedly, hell the rev-limiter is the only way I know when it's time to shift.

I was on the longest, straightest, flattest "non-drivewayed", unpopulated country stretch (way up in Northern Ontario) that I have EVER seen about a month back. ALL open fields for miles. NO Trees, NO Woods. Just a GIANT stretch of smooth blacktop!! YES - OF COURSE it could NOT be resisted...
I'm guessing Hwy 101 or somewhere over near Englehart :D

Me, I don't think I've had mine much past about 120mph intentionally. I cured my need for absolute top end on my old 900 Ninja. 275km/h indicated on the Sturgeon Stretch between Sudbury and North Bay ( what a boring road, designed in 4 seconds by an engineer who ran to the ruler 10 seconds before quitting time -not even the slightest curve in it and absolutely flat for about 15km). I wouldn't try it there now though. Theirs ALWAYS radar active on it.