Speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been in NEPRT for so long that the original threads are kinda getting buried.

For a Gen 1, top speed was accepted to be about 156 mph +/- a couple mph for tires, atmospherics, etc.

Your claim is 5.7% over that, which about right for speedo error.

I guess the upside is that your bike is still running that kind of power after 8 years.

Watch out for bunnies, deer, dixie cups.... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was 05 at Bonneville. A stock 03 with no bags but everything else did 155.9 in the measured mile. That speed on the salt is f#%king scary. Thats a good speed considering the altitude.

That day when i reach 265 kph was when no wind was heavy at all, nice long open strait line. I will go & buy a Bike cam! Then i will upload a video here to show you! maybe that will help a bit, :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dewaldt

That day when i reach 265 kph was when no wind was heavy at all, nice long open strait line. I will go & buy a Bike cam! Then i will upload a video here to show you! maybe that will help a bit, :rolleyes:
Cheers

Dewaldt
Huh ????

To show us your bike does what it's supposed to?

I'd rather find some twisties or great scenery. The bike does that really well, too.

Given that the "Sweetest Spot" on my '09 is 140-160kph, with 140 falling EXACTLY on 4500, it would THEORETICALLY be possible to hit 280 at the 9K Redline. I think it might need an Edwards Air Force Base length Runway to ever get there though...
All you need isany back highway in Nevada :rolleyes:

Given that the "Sweetest Spot" on my '09 is 140-160kph, with 140 falling EXACTLY on 4500, it would THEORETICALLY be possible to hit 280 at the 9K Redline.
Almost. Theoretical top speed at redline is just below 170mph (273kph) according to the gear ratio math

Gen I FJRs are limited in speed by gearing (top speed at redline). Gen II have taller gearing with similar top speed, therefore limited by power.

FWIW, I saw a GPS max speed of 158mph one time on my Gen II one time. Probably a combination of exhaust/intake mods and a nice tail wind.

Gen II FJR gear/speed chart:

fjr_speed_vs_rpm.gif

Utah, stock '08 Fully loaded with top box 1 up, downhill, new PR2's 0 wind, 0 anyone & lots of cows at the bottom of the hill which is why I shut er down.

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

Greg

I saw an indicated 140mph in Death Valley on the flats before climbing up to Panamint Springs on my 2007 with the bags on and the windscreen down about 1/4. All I know is that the bike was smooth as silk at that speed, I survived the incident, and I won't do that again.

Now 100, we'll do that again.

Can you imagine seeing 200mph on a Moto GP bike????

Cheers,

biknflyfisher

Cheers

Dewaldt
Nobody said you didn't indicate 265 kph. We said you didn't go that fast, because most of these bikes have speedos that read higher than actual. Showing us a video of it demonstrates nothing.

And the reason that this got put into NEPRT is that nobody really cares.

The only acceptable speed proof is one from your GPS's maximum speed function. Post a picture of it. I have been to 135 but the GPS says it was really 128.4.
I had my Garmin tell me I did 296 mph a few days back. So much for that hallowed max speed function. It got confused when I went through a tunnel and had me doing warp speed coming out of it. I think I'd remember the wind at 296 mph.

Should have gotten a picture of that data point.

Here's some more reliable info from a good canyon ride recently:

8 x/29/2010 7:14:01 PM 5350 ft 497 ft 0:00:06 56 mph 160° true Nxx 19.410 Wxxx 00.189

9 x/29/2010 7:14:07 PM 5346 ft 0.3 mi 0:00:09 107 mph 198° true Nxx 19.333 Wxxx 00.156

10 x/29/2010 7:14:16 PM 5356 ft 0.1 mi 0:00:04 111 mph 52° true Nxx 19.113 Wxxx 00.241

11 x/29/2010 7:14:20 PM 5375 ft 243 ft 0:00:04 41 mph 219° true Nxx 19.178 Wxxx 00.139

Cheers,

W2

A while back I managed to see 160mph (speedo reading) out of my bike, GenII, with panniers and Yamaha top box. The bike flew up to 150 in no time, but took an awful long time to add the extra 10. Given my sat nav reads about 7-10mph lower than speedo, I gauge 150-153 is the real speed.

Andy

Going these kinds of speeds on public roads is just plain stupid.

I have installed a speedo healer to correct the "optimistic" speedometer. I have found that -5.1% gives me exact alignment with my gps.

You can do your own math...or maybe you can't. I suppose if you're stupid enough to go 155mph on public roads...

I think it was 05 at Bonneville. A stock 03 with no bags but everything else did 155.9 in the measured mile. That speed on the salt is f#%king scary. Thats a good speed considering the altitude.
I witnessed someone who did about that speed at Bonneville, on the paved road leading out to the salt. Wide open space, no other vehicles or anything else around. He showed his GPS around Park City later that evening. I tried to follow along but chickened out when my helmet started tugging at the chin strap lifting my head.

He's known as 'Fast Charlie' by the group that rode with him at CFR this year. ;)

Going these kinds of speeds on public roads is just plain stupid....

You can do your own math...or maybe you can't. I suppose if you're stupid enough to go 155mph on public roads...
What speeds, then, do you recommend for the FJR on public roads (for those who may not be plain stupid)? :unsure: