Speeding these days...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday I received the citation letter from the County Of Riverside. $418 plus $54 for the fun of traffic school. And thats not including the costs of the traffic school.

:angry2:

I find it interesting that the same POS (the author of the article) that would bitch and blame a LEO for the ticket that they probably deserve is the same SOB that thinks it's fair for someone in the upper income brackets to pay higher taxes. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to get busted for breaking the forum rules.

The agency I work for has put zero additional pressure on officers to write additional citations. I agree that the fines are ridiculous for someone that might get one ticket every few years, but the fines are not set by the LEO's. If you don't like the fines then talk to congress or the court system. Don't blame the officer that is enforcing the traffic laws. The people that get caught all the time should get hammered. These are the same asshats the rear end bikes and turn left in front of bikes. Most of the motoring public is so stupid that they drive past a patrol vehicle in a posted 55 zone while they are going over 70. Then they bitch at the LEO and blame the officer for their own stupidity and the citation that might follow. Maybe people should pull their heads out of their asses and start paying attention to simple things like stopping for stop signs, not following too close, not drinking and driving, slowing down in cities and school zones, and at least slowing down to the limt before they pass a LEO.

I do enjoy the capabilities of the FJR and sometimes explore them, yet I manage not to get pulled over. I guess this is due to the fact that when I drive or ride I pay attention to my surroundings and don't act like a fool in populated areas. I agree that some cops are true assholes but don't group all LEO's into that category.

End of Rant.

The people that get caught all the time should get hammered. These are the same asshats the rear end bikes and turn left in front of bikes. Most of the motoring public is so stupid that they drive past a patrol vehicle in a posted 55 zone while they are going over 70. Then they bitch at the LEO and blame the officer for their own stupidity and the citation that might follow. Maybe people should pull their heads out of their asses and start paying attention to simple things like stopping for stop signs, not following too close, not drinking and driving, slowing down in cities and school zones, and at least slowing down to the limt before they pass a LEO.
I do enjoy the capabilities of the FJR and sometimes explore them, yet I manage not to get pulled over. I guess this is due to the fact that when I drive or ride I pay attention to my surroundings and don't act like a fool in populated areas. I agree that some cops are true assholes but don't group all LEO's into that category.

End of Rant.
This get my vote for best rant of 2010, bravo sir bravo!

End of Rant.
I don't see this as a rant, but more a statement of fact. If you act like a (insert insulting term of choice) it will only be a matter of time before you reap the consquences of said actions. If you're lucky, that consequence will be a ticket. If you're unlucky you might die. True, some cops are asses but can you name any profession who doesn't have a few of those?

The Tennessee State Legislature came up with a "Super Speeder" law this year. I don't know if it will make it all the way to the end of the session, but their plan is to give a super fine to anyone who is 15 mph over the speed limit.

Historically they've cut us 10 mph of slack, so this would say that if you abuse the slack by 5 mph, you'll pay a multi-hundred dollar fine. Not sure how traffic school options will be impacted.

I know they're looking at this as a potential revenue source.

believe me...I have no ax to grind with LEO's. I respect them and what they do for us all and what they have to put up with.

My point in posting that is the law makers, managers, city councils and mayors, the politicians have ordered policys that have fund raising as priority 1 and safety next.

It's not the fault of the LEO's. It's city politicians that WE or somebody elects.

My rant is not against Patriot. It is against the people that place the blame of the ridiculus fines with the LEO's and not the people that set the fines. As a LEO , I often feel guility giving good people that make an honest mistake a $300.00 ++ ticket for a moving violation. I often will cite someone for a correctable, mechanical violaiton and give them a warning for the mover if I feel it is appropriate. I like to do this and it shows the motoring public that officers are not trying to generate revenue. This type of enforcement is effective because the vehicles passing by see someone getting a ticket and usually believe that they are getting cited for a moving violation. Hopefully they get the message and slow down or pay attention to their driving.

Arizona's speed cameras have to be the best example of making criminal activity a revenue source. They have changed speeding into a tax. I think they call it "Wasting a Resource" or something like that. If you have the money to pay the speed tax you can go as fast as you want and not have any points added to your license. It's my understanding that they decriminalized speeding so they could use these cameras. Now that it isn't a criminal matter they get to keep all of the money in the state instead of sending some of it to the FEDS. The fines were suppose to be used for roadway improvement, extra law enforcement, and education. This is completely against the spirit of the law. Lets cut the cops out of the picture and let the cameras do the work. Well those cameras can't render assistance to disabled motorist, respond to collision or spot drunk drivers. People should be outraged and get them removed. The same goes for the red light cameras. There is always a rise in rear-ender collisions once one is installed. The public has the right to face their acuser in a criminal matter and cameras don't allow this. I know the idiots in California are trying to get the speed cameras installed in this state. It's interesting the sudden interest in these cameras corresponds with the 20 billion dollar budget deficit this state faces. We can only hope that the greed of the legislature is overcome by what is right and fair for the people.

OPPS, double post! I must have double tapped the submit button. See you got me fired up. :evilsmiley03:

Last edited by a moderator:
The agency I work for has put zero additional pressure on officers to write additional citations.End of Rant.

That is great... but when when I see 14 LAPD motor officers all with cars pulled over in a two block stretch of a city street at 7:30am and they are still there at noon and they all have cars pulled over again it is really hard for me to believe that they are doing it for my safety! Oh, they could not have been speeding since traffic at 7:30am was moving at under 10mph.

The agency I work for has put zero additional pressure on officers to write additional citations.End of Rant.

That is great... but when when I see 14 LAPD motor officers all with cars pulled over in a two block stretch of a city street at 7:30am and they are still there at noon and they all have cars pulled over again it is really hard for me to believe that they are doing it for my safety! Oh, they could not have been speeding since traffic at 7:30am was moving at under 10mph.
I agree. I'm just saying that you can't blame the officers for being there. They are usually there for a reason or the direction of their suppervisors who are at the direction of the city or county government. Usually a complaint is recieved about a certain violation or there is an increase in traffic collisions in an area. When this happens the officers are sent there to fix the problem. Now a good officer will use sound professional judgement, not write chicken shit stuff, maintain their bearing, and be tactful in their contact. If they don't do this they should be canned.

Sometimes they are there on grant funding for seatbelt, cellphone, or carpool enforcement. If they don't enforce the laws then some people run amuck. It just sucks that some of the fines have gotten out of control and it seems inappropriate for someone that hasn't recieved a citation in years to get reamed for an occational mistake. Most of the courts slap on something like 170% to the fine for various court fees. Now that's BS.

[

I agree. I'm just saying that you can't blame the officers for being there. They are usually there for a reason or the direction of their suppervisors who are at the direction of the city or county government. Usually a complaint is recieved about a certain violation or there is an increase in traffic collisions in an area. When this happens the officers are sent there to fix the problem. Now a good officer will use sound professional judgement, not write chicken shit stuff, maintain their bearing, and be tactful in their contact. If they don't do this they should be canned.

Sometimes they are there on grant funding for seatbelt, cellphone, or carpool enforcement. If they don't enforce the laws then some people run amuck. It just sucks that some of the fines have gotten out of control and it seems inappropriate for someone that hasn't recieved a citation in years to get reamed for an occational mistake. Most of the courts slap on something like 170% to the fine for various court fees. Now that's BS.

I think that was the point of the article. Everyone has high regard of LEO, and a high level of appreciation for their commitment....with that said your statement here confirms the article.

"Direction from their supervisors" who get direction from their bosses, who are City/state government.....I think that was the point. I mean, this is what "Capitalism is all about; right?"

I just took my medicine of DD and move on.

Mature people don't get angry with the LEO,

I mean Parenting is the same thing....keeping them on the right path just makes you their(teenager) "bad guy"...for the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has high regard of LEO :laughingsmiley: now that is funny...F the police is what I hear, and I'll have your job. Some drunk guy actually told me I'd be working in Alaska next week, I nearly fell down laughing.

Imagine the pain in the insurance industry, city, county and state governments if everyone stopped speeding for a year. Why, it's almost like they want us to speed. :huh:

VERY well put. I totally agree with almost all of the above comments. My story from last Friday......

I was coming back from a spirited ride, heading into town (Rochester, Mn) Friday afternoon around 2:30. I was on a county road about 3 miles east of town, when I came over a hill. Having driven this road many times, I am fully aware that it is often patrolled by county deputies, and USUALLY pay close attention to my speed. Well, head up my ass, I came over the hill, and noticed a white sedan sitting on the oncoming shoulder, at the bottom of the hill. Inside my helmet, I uttered "Oh, sh*t", or perhaps something more witty. I noticed it was not a LEO, so I started to roll back on the throttle. THEN, as I got near the non-LEO, I saw a real LEO on my side of the road, backed into a field drive, just across the road from the "decoy" car. Once again, I said "Oh, sh*t", or maybe somethjing even wittier than before. He pulled out behind me, and lit me up a half mile later.

I pulled over immediately, and took my helmet off as he approached. He told me he usually cuts people some slack when they're coming down a hill (as I was), but that I actually sped up when the road leveled out. He said he shot me at 74 mph, and got me locked in at 71 mph. As he went back to run my license, I thought, "Well, there's no way I'm NOT getting a ticket. If he's having a good day, I may get a break, if I'm lucky, but I'm definitely getting a citation".

He came back and told me that they had a speeding enforcement operation going on in the area (Which I already knew), but that he was going to cut me a break and only give me a warning. He specifically stated that the reasons he was only giving me a warning was that; 1) My license was clean, no tickets, etc, and 2) I pulled over immediately when he lit me up, instead of trying to take off. I thanked him several times, and went on my way.

Several final thoughts:

1) I was a dumbass for speeding where I KNEW there could be someone waiting for me. When I'm in any populated areas, or on state highways or county roads that I've seen repeated enforcers, I obey the speed laws. Out in the sticks, well, that's another situation. I ignored my own knowledge base, and was VERY lucky to not get stung.

2) I treated the officer with respect, and was pretty honest with him. He seemed to appreciate that, as I'm sure he gets to deal with plenty of nimrods in his standard shift. I DO appreciate what they do for us, and have several friends in the LEO community (although this deputy did not know that). I think he was respectful of me as well, and was nice enough to not lecture me, as well as telling me why he was giving me a break. I acted contrite, and didn't give him grief, and he rewarded that behavior.

3) I was a dumbass. Did I mention that?

4) I know that I'll get pinched sometime. I'm OK with that. Not that I WANT it to happen, but the odds are against me. I just hope that it's for 8 or 9 mph over, in a 55 mph zone in a corner marked 25 mph.

Just a recap of my recent personal experience. I hope this info helps you some day. May you all be as lucky......

Status
Not open for further replies.