Sport Touring at It's Finest - North

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have Russell and I mixed up? I don't know that Russell has ever posted here.
AH SO! lol so its you avatar that looks a lot like Russell

sue me :clapping:

We had a great time anyway !

Also a big thanks to Jerry for the suggested route that Adam & I rode on Saturday. Because Adam lives in VA we don't get to ride together much anymore. Made this one extra special!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have Russell and I mixed up? I don't know that Russell has ever posted here.
AH SO! lol so its you avatar that looks a lot like Russell

sue me :clapping:

We had a great time anyway !

Also a big thanks to Jerry for the suggested route that Adam & I rode on Saturday. Because Adam lives in VA we don't get to ride together much anymore. Made this one extra special!
Was great to meet you and your son. Glad to hear you had a good time and glad to be part of special father/son times. I lost my dad this year and, while he wasn't a rider, I enjoyed the times we had together and I miss him dearly. I'm sure I don't need to tell you or your son to not to take the times you spend together for granted.

Glad you made it home OK.

What a great weeked that was.

8am, Sunday morning, myself, RoadRunner, Sport, BigDaddyDan and Sam (non forum member on a SV1000) met at a York, PA junkyard for the ride up to Carlisle...

2776609344_0d385151b0.jpg

Uneventful slab journey to Carlisle, where we found this...

2775761719_9c2383a613.jpg

So we parked up and headed inside for a hearty breakfast, and a review of the pre-prepared routes.

We decided to take Randy's five county ride, about 170 miles through the South Central PA countryside, and who better to lead us than Randy himself. Accompanied by Russell Fleming, ChecksWrecks, FredandJeannesRacer, and Jerry (soon to be a new member here), we readied ouselves for blast-off.

2775756757_cc922e813a.jpg

We hit some great roads, but then got split up at some traffic lights in Nowheresville. The trailing pack missed the turn, and about a minute was lost as the group got back together.

As has already been mentioned, we came across a serious road accident that had just occurred, and I was proud to be part of such a great team. I was delegated traffic control duties (Thanks Jerry), due to the brightness of my Hi-Viz jacket, and many motorists, after enquiring about the situation, thanked us for our actions. The thanks were echoed by the local Fire Department who later arrived and took over from us.

Had we not missed that turn, it could so easliy have been one, or more of us involved, but thankfully we were able to get our bikes in a line and help out...

2775765125_65e0f24883.jpg

Back on the road again, and Randy led us through what must be some of the finest roads in the area. the 10mph hairpin bend signs brought a huge grin to my face each and every time I saw one, and there were many. Tight bends, sweeping curves, elevation changes, breathtaking views, this ride had it all, and to top it off, there was a Mini Freeze stand, which hit the spot on this 88 degree day...

2775774175_9aa2174f4a.jpg

The ice-cream stand was fairly busy as you would expect on a beautiful Sunday. Ma, Pa and the kids were enjoying a quiet afternoon, until the peace was shattered by a group of leather-clad, crotch rocket riding asshats, who decided it would be cool to pull wheelies, and rip past at well into triple digit speeds. Staff at the stand commented on how different our behavior had been. (If only they had seen us in the twisties!!!).

2776636312_cdb59b225e.jpg
2776638388_3cf835d981.jpg

Refreshed from the cool fix, even more spectular roads were encountered on the ride back to the Middlesex Diner in Carlisle. Since the accident had added over an hour to our trip time, most of the other groups had already eaten and left, but those remaining feasted ourselves and exchanged anecdotes about the days events.

Great weather, awesome roads, and some fabulous people that I am both pleased and proud to be associated with, and can't wait to do it all again next year.

Thanks to Russell and Randy for the event, ChecksWrecks for his instantaneous actions at the accident scene, and everyone else that rode, for their team spirit, friendship and attitude throughout the day. You guys all Rock...

Randy

It was nice meeting you and riding with you.

I was able to go on a great ride, and make new friends. :yahoo: It doesn't get any better than that.I plan on doing it again next year.

A big thanks to Randy and Russell for all there effort in putting this together.

Wild 72

Nice pics and ride report. Thanks for sharing.

Ride Safe & See Ya Soon; Art

Great write up Pete...thanks for sharing the pics. I'm trapped in a hotel in Delaware for the rest of the week, so, won't get my pics loaded for a couple days.

Thanks for making the trip, Art. Glad you made it home safe and sound.