SPOT Emergency Contact List

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea. I've often wondered just exactly what my wife would do if she received a SPOT help request email or text message, at work or at home. Would she call the roadside assistance program I have and tell them my location? Would she log into my FJRForum account and send out an APB to see if any forum members lived nearby? Would she have them take a trailer or just tools?

The idea of using a listserve email addresses would work great. If you want to participate (much like the forum assistance program) then you'd subscribe to the email list. Or better yet, after vetting you the person administering the list would add you to it. This keeps the lookie-lou's out of it.

Once you've agreed to join, which means you're willing to take on the responsibility of attending to the needs of a fellow rider in your geographical riding area, you've be provided with the super-secret email address for the list. Put this address in your SPOT HELP profile and when you press that HELP button everybody on the list receives an email saying you need help. If you're on the list and in the area you head out to help. With it being part of the forum assistance list maybe we could add in an emergency contact phone number so if you get a message you'd know who to be in contact with, as a way to coordinate. We certainly don't need three or four folks all heading to the same place.

A standard protocol for what to take to the scene may be handy. Maybe something like always taking gasoline, patch kit and air compressor, jumper cables, fuses, wire, a trailer if you're lucky enough to have one, cold or hot drinks, snacks, blanket. I'm sure others could add to this list.

Other thoughts?

For those who have GPS units are they not capable of doing the same as the spot checker? If so why not use your GPS instead of a SPOT CHECKER?

Does anyone have the names and phone numbers of the taverns that Bustanut joker, odot and RadioHowie drink at, please?

Those three will naturally be my first choices for my SPOT Emergency Contact List. If I'm injured, I will need a drink ASAP!!

For those who have GPS units are they not capable of doing the same as the spot checker? If so why not use your GPS instead of a SPOT CHECKER?
No, GPS units only RECEIVE GPS signals, they have no ability to TRANSMIT, which is what makes the SPOT such a cool device. Not only does it send tracking info, but it can also transmit OK, HELP, and 911 messages, which are then relayed by the SPOT folks to handle per instructions that you've setup in your profile. In the case of OK and HELP messages they send email and text messages to people you've designated.

And remember, SPOT units use satellites, so they work in areas that cell phone may not. It can send a HELP or 911 message from the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have the names and phone numbers of the taverns that Bustanut joker, odot and RadioHowie drink at, please?
Those three will naturally be my first choices for my SPOT Emergency Contact List. If I'm injured, I will need a drink ASAP!!
If I shaved my anus, loved sheep and played with Manatees I'd drink too. GREAT choices el jefe!

BeemerDon,

Question Number One: What does a SPOT cost? $150, $275 or the equivalent of an evening's bar tab of Old Michael and I??I see the old, larger unit on sale for 99 USD. I don't see a need for the newer unit. Sure, it's smaller, and has improved button layouts, but for the difference in price I can afford another year of service. The new unit will cost approximately 150 USD, clicky.

Question Number Two: Both Badcat and Toecutter have made mention of a new and improved SPOT. Wait for a new one?

See above.

Question Number Three: What's the cost of the subscriber online service for SPOT and do you buy it monthly or by the year?

By the year, 49 USD for basic service. I'm thinking of expanding my service to include additional services -

Track Progress

Track Progress allows friends and family to follow your progress online in real time or to save waypoints so you can review your entire route at a later date. SPOT Track Progress automatically sends your GPS location waypoint to a Google Map every 10 minutes.

Cost $49.99 per year

GEOS Member Rescue Benefit

Geos provide the SOS/911 monitoring included in your Basic Service. You can upgrade to the GEOS Member Benefit for reimbursement of up to $100K in Search and Rescue (SAR) expenses - even coordinating a private SAR contractor if needed to get you to safety.

Cost $7.95 per year

SPOT Assist Satellite GPS Safety Service

SPOT Assist provides satellite-based notification to third party professional service providers to help ensure your safety on land or water - at the push of a button.

Spot Assist for Roadside

Spot Assist for Maritime

Cost $30.00 per year

Question Number Four: Bearing in mind half of my riding time is in Mexico, does SPOT work throughout all of North America?

Yes, I was successfully spotting even in Nakus, BC, CA.

Question Number Five: I have heard horror stories of how expensive an accidental 911 call is, just how bad is the $$$ hit???

I don't know, need go research this one. There is a really good (and long) thread on SPOT over at AdvRider.com. This thread started in 2007 and is current even today. Clicky. My personal experience is it would be difficult to mash the 911 button accidentally. I carry my SPOT under the tank bag map holder. I suppose one could have the SPOT in a tank bag, where the 911 button could accidentally be depressed. I treat my SPOT like my handguns, 'nuff said?

so how does one depress the 911 button in a get off when the SPOT is attached to the bike, and rider has been unseated and perhaps injured?

The idea of using a listserve email addresses would work great. If you want to participate (much like the forum assistance program) then you'd subscribe to the email list. Or better yet, after vetting you the person administering the list would add you to it. This keeps the lookie-lou's out of it.
Once you've agreed to join, which means you're willing to take on the responsibility of attending to the needs of a fellow rider in your geographical riding area, you've be provided with the super-secret email address for the list. Put this address in your SPOT HELP profile and when you press that HELP button everybody on the list receives an email saying you need help. If you're on the list and in the area you head out to help. With it being part of the forum assistance list maybe we could add in an emergency contact phone number so if you get a message you'd know who to be in contact with, as a way to coordinate. We certainly don't need three or four folks all heading to the same place.

A standard protocol for what to take to the scene may be handy. Maybe something like always taking gasoline, patch kit and air compressor, jumper cables, fuses, wire, a trailer if you're lucky enough to have one, cold or hot drinks, snacks, blanket. I'm sure others could add to this list.

Other thoughts?
Well thought out LDRydr. A key point is not to have multiple SPOT responders duplicating effort, clogging up phone lines, or worse yet, making multiple contact with responding agencies (tow trucks, repair shops, EMT, LEO, etc.) Somehow, there needs to be a 'pecking order', one captain per response. I suppose this doesn't have to be one particular designated person, as not everyone is available all the time. If the distress signal gets sent, someone has to be in charge, and to follow it through to mission completion or be able to hand it off to a new captain - how best to accomplish that?
I think having a 'point person' per geographical area or per rider is a possible solution. For the first rattle out of the box, I like having a point SPOT person per rider, but need to think this one through a bit. Or perhaps it could be optional; if the rider has a trusted SPOT bud they would be 'captain' during the distress call. If unavailable, the next person in line becomes the captain.

Thinking out loud, when a 'planned' trip is ridden, it could/should be much like a flight plan. Find someone not on the ride, who will be home, has some time to be 'on-call'. I think this is the 'easy' scenario. I'm leaving for a two-week ride, I give my rough itinerary to ToeCutter, who at least then is aware I'm 'at risk' and makes a point to keep the cell phone on, periodically check the SPOT progress, etc. Not that he has to live on the computer watching every update.. :lol:

The impromptu ride is more difficult, and perhaps that's where having geographical captains, lieutenants, and privates ( :lol: ) comes to play.

One last thought - rather than an email list, how about a live website, or private page (based off this forum preferably) that 'members only' e.g. those that have accepted the responsibility and have been vetted, have access to. As you prepare your flight plan simply logon to the site, declare your rough route/destination and, if desired, your SPOT captain. If no captain selected, you fall into the geographical SPOT responder 'pool'.

Something like that, I'm tired of typing, need to think this through some more. Anything is possible, and we have some fart smellers on this board, I'm sure we will come up with something good.

so how does one depress the 911 button in a get off when the SPOT is attached to the bike, and rider has been unseated and perhaps injured?
They can't, Barb. Additionally, if unconscious, the only hope is that someone is watching your SPOT track, sees you're not moving, MapGoogles it, then makes a decision you're hurt.
I wear a cellphone on my body for that very reason, and I'm looking to see how I can wear my SPOT. I ride CyclePort gear, a mesh suit. I'm pretty sure SPOT would work through the mesh, though I've not tried. SPOT units have a pretty strong rear clip. Perhaps sewing a strap to the jacket or pants, adding some velcro, using the clip would do the trick.

Oh, and for those who say that the SPOT may cause body damage upon impact? I'll take that chance. :unsure:

They can't, Barb. Additionally, if unconscious, the only hope is that someone is watching your SPOT track, sees you're not moving, MapGoogles it, then makes a decision you're hurt.
I wear a cellphone on my body for that very reason, and I'm looking to see how I can wear my SPOT. I ride CyclePort gear, a mesh suit. I'm pretty sure SPOT would work through the mesh, though I've not tried. SPOT units have a pretty strong rear clip. Perhaps sewing a strap to the jacket or pants, adding some velcro, using the clip would do the trick.

Oh, and for those who say that the SPOT may cause body damage upon impact? I'll take that chance. :unsure:

My TomTom works from inside my walk-in closet whilst stuffed inside my tank bag (when I forget to turn it off). Scared the sh%t out of me one night when a man in my closet started talking to me at 3am! I am betting you could tuck the SPOT in the visor pocket of any riding jacket and it would still acquire signal. Another thought is a mesh pocket sewn on to your gear on the front somewhere to hold it. It would have to be located on some body part not likely to be a skid area in a slide, or you risk having it ripped off of you in a slide, yet still accessible to hit the buttons to track-ping, hmmmm....

I know if and when I go down, aside from my noggin' the next thing I'll be protecting is "the girls".

Hey? I could just tuck it in my bra, how about you? *LOL*

For example, I know that RenoJohn and ToeCutter would make good decisions for me when I couldn't, 'nuff said? And me for them.

One last thought - rather than an email list, how about a live website, or private page (based off this forum preferably) that 'members only' e.g. those that have accepted the responsibility and have been vetted, have access to. As you prepare your flight plan simply logon to the site, declare your rough route/destination and, if desired, your SPOT captain. If no captain selected, you fall into the geographical SPOT responder 'pool'.

RenoJohn is a whiz with these things, BTW.
Funny shit, seems we don't want to have to wait to know when someone stacks up or has an issue

....instead we want to know real-time, heaven forbid we're duped out of the opportunity to gravel in someone's misfortune. We can call the group the Doom/Gloom'rs

A few thoughts:

Along the lines of the email. The spot can send both "OK" and "Help" messages out as emails. Let's talk "Help" for a moment.

--A single/specific email addy could be created and any users of the "Doom/Gloom'rs" could program SPOT to send help messages to this address.

Once that help email is received, a few things would happen:

a.) That email forwarded to all memmbers of the Doom/Gloom'rs" group. This could even be to cel phones etc. This would NOT be a list serve, rather a one time notification of a "Help" Request -and this notification would point to a website address.

b.) The "Help" request would start a thread on a website, where "Doom/Gloom'rs" group could then trade info/comments as to who is doing what and efforts to assist could be coordinated in real time and visible to all.. Most likely this "website" would be in blog form as the tools are already in place to do this quick and easy.

Example:

Rider dickmunch hits a deer, but is not seriously injured, just some pain in his vagina. But the bike is not ride able. He's a few miles from civilization, no phone service.

So he hits "Help"

+A message goes to all the "Doom/Gloom'rs", everyone will get notification that someone in the group sent a "Help" request. And this email will point them to a website.

+In addition, his "Help" request also starts a thread on a website -where "Doom/Gloom'rs" can post thoughts and trade strategy to help the guy and his aching vagina.

This will be real-time and visible to all so that coordination will be a lot better than billions of emails going to billions of people.

This is kind of a combination of a listserve thing, and a website ....the initial email notifies folks, it prompts them to go to a website where help can be coordinated by those who give a ****.

.....there is really a lot more that could be done ...this is an over-simplification of a basic idea. Part of the website would also have rider info, contact info, notify in emergency info yada yada yada. Again, much much more could actually be done, this is just the basic idea.

I could set this all up easily and it could be tested to see if it something that the doom/gloom'ers would use.

Thoughts? am I following the idea here?

Last edited by a moderator:
dcarver: Don, thanks for taking the time to explain all my SPOT questions with your very logical, understandable answers.

RenoJohn: I am going to talk at length with Silver Penguin and Andy at SW-FOG next weekend. There is no doubt I'll like what I hear about SPOT. With my heart attack in Hawaii while skin diving way offshore, speed of rescue meant my survival!

DC your idea is a great one for those that ride alone and for any rider with a group or not. I had " ON STAR " in my car from GM and it worked great.

Their soft wear was programed that if you got into a wreck it would automatically phone 911 and give your position for help. I would think the spot locator would or could have this ability soon. But there was a fee associated with it, around $12.00 for a simple plan costing more for more features.

Looks like a business opporunity, maybe the forum admin. a way to fund them and the forum????

The SPOT logo is above the transmitter in the unit, and needs to have a clear view to the sky. I think on a jacket the only way to ensure a good signal is to have it on your shoulder. Perhaps though, like on aerostitch suits, a clear pocket something like a map pocket, could be used on thigh or arm. There is no way (or desire on my part) to eliminate all risks. But I personally prefer not to have hard objects in pants or jacket while riding (pens, tire guage, etc.) because the likelihood of a small getoff with something on me injuring me is greater than the scenario of a huge crash with nobody around and no access to the 911 button. I know others will disagree, and I am ok with that. OTOH, as I typed this, I realized I often ride with my cell phone in my pants pocket -- so I'm a work in progress. :)

I'd be both surprised and disappointed if they were that finicky. I think I also read somewhere on here where someone keeps their's under their tank bag, but I could be mistaken in that.

I will grab a SPOT 2 when they are released soon. Smaller, lighter and much improved by the sound of it. THEN, find somewhere on me to carry it. Just doesn't make any sense to have it stuck on the bike, sorry...JMO.

I'd be both surprised and disappointed if they were that finicky. I think I also read somewhere on here where someone keeps their's under their tank bag, but I could be mistaken in that.
I will grab a SPOT 2 when they are released soon. Smaller, lighter and much improved by the sound of it. THEN, find somewhere on me to carry it. Just doesn't make any sense to have it stuck on the bike, sorry...JMO.
Reading the information on the website, I see no new features on the second version. The ergonomics (repositioning and labeling of buttons, size, etc.) are improved, but no claims of improved performance. The unit sends a signal every ten minutes until a signal gets through. Things like overhead structures, thick forest and other major obstructions can and do interupt the signal. It is my understanding (I may be wrong as I have not tried it) that having it in a tankbag or pocket would diminish it's signal, the same as being in a tunnel. It is not a perfect device or system, just as other electronic and mechanical devices have their challenges (ever notice nobody says problems anymore?). But it is the only/best option we have.

As for not wishing to mount a SPOT on your bike, and appologizing to me for making that personal decision, there is no need to apologize. I merely am expressing my logic as to why it is mounted on my bike; convenience, likelihood of not being left behind or unused, ease of visibility and use/access to buttons, best chance of signals going through, as well as my analysis of various risks in crash situations made me decide to mount it in the cockpit. I have no qualms with being logically convinced otherwise and invite people to continue the dialogue.

One thing I learned today, and did not know, is that the company recommends it not be within a foot of a GPS receiver, though they do not explain how they might interfere with each other. Another example of how SPOT is not perfect.

Reading the information on the website, I see no new features on the second version. The ergonomics (repositioning and labeling of buttons, size, etc.) are improved, but no claims of improved performance.
Read the features page. The GPS receiver is improved over the old one, it is now separate from the transmitter, and as a result, coverage is allegedly much improved.

I am angling for a new one too. There was a recent thread on the ST1300 owners web site about the guy in Idaho who went off the road riding by himself, not found for 3 weeks despite massive search until some Elk hunters spotted his body. Not sure if he survived the initial crash, but if he had, SPOT might have made the difference.

I really liked the $8 option that covers rescue services up to $50k. Nothing would suck more than surviving a crash but having to face an expensive rescue bill.

Reading the information on the website, I see no new features on the second version. The ergonomics (repositioning and labeling of buttons, size, etc.) are improved, but no claims of improved performance.
Read the features page. The GPS receiver is improved over the old one, it is now separate from the transmitter, and as a result, coverage is allegedly much improved.

I am angling for a new one too. There was a recent thread on the ST1300 owners web site about the guy in Idaho who went off the road riding by himself, not found for 3 weeks despite massive search until some Elk hunters spotted his body. Not sure if he survived the initial crash, but if he had, SPOT might have made the difference.

I really liked the $8 option that covers rescue services up to $50k. Nothing would suck more than surviving a crash but having to face an expensive rescue bill.
OK, youse guys have convinced me. I abso bloody lutely need a SPOT. Why the !@#$% didn't I know about this when I needed it? But that's another story. I realize I am a newbie to this forum but have had the FJR for 2 glorious years & have been riding since I was a snot nosed teen...and that was a lifetime ago. Point here is, am willing to man the SPOT line in SoCal however I can be of use. Please count me in. Take it from one who has paid the price...this is a GREAT friggin idea

Keep the rubber side down

DCarver

check your email mullet boy.

I will attempt to have a beta website/notification system ready for you by the weekend ....I'll need your help testing a few things along the way and I'll need a handful of volunteers to test and provide feedback once the beta is up. You can coordinate all that please.

....john

DCarvercheck your email mullet boy.

I will attempt to have a beta website/notification system ready for you by the weekend ....I'll need your help testing a few things along the way and I'll need a handful of volunteers to test and provide feedback once the beta is up. You can coordinate all that please.

....john
Roger that RJ!