Spothids

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, good point about the vibes, radman. And yeah, you're right about the down low position. My Wing was farkled with the low down chin spoiler lamps... Glass was almost white from all the crap flying at 'em. Forgot about that. Thanks.

But unlike the PHIDs, the beamcast is a tightly-focused pencil-beam, ala the PIAA 910:
Is this a benefit? I thought auxilary lights would just throw light everywhere without an care where light went...floods...explain the benefit for this extra light newbie

Depends on the type of lamp Orange. Fogs are short beam, wide dispersion, perfect for foggy conditions where a high intensity lamp designed for distance would just reflect off the fog and ruin vision. Ever hit the high beams in the fog? A driving light, however, is designed for long range vision, a pencil beam is very aimable, can be pointed exactly where one anticipates the most need for illumination. My Hella driving lights, for example, are aimed so that they take over where my high beams start losing there effectiveness. Instead of 250 feet of vision, with a tapering near the limits, the drivers extend out to 350 feet my nightime vision. Most drivers are set up (mine are) to come on only when the high beams are illuminated, whereas fogs are designed to be used with the low beams or alone. Fogs will have fluted lens, drivers a clear lens.

Pic 1-Fog lamp dispersion

piaa_fog_foul_weather_lamps.gif

Pic 2-Driving lamp dispersion

piaa_driving_long_range_lamps.gif

Pic 3-Pencil lamp dispersion

piaa_offroad_pencil_beam_lamps.gif

TWN, I remember when I was first looking at FJR's the first used one had fork mounted driving lights. I know I've seen them for sale on somewhere on the web. I'll check it out and if I find something, I will post the info.

MO

Radman,

That was a superb response. I understand completely now thanks to you...from newbie to knowledgeable in a single message!

Thanks,

Andrew

I'd hide that gay ass chrome stuff though....people would start asking me if it was a HD :D
So WC are they HID or Halogen?
They are true HID.

Last night was the big test, coming from from WFO-4. I departed Skagit at 10pm, and rode 250 miles through in the inky-black darkness of the High Desert of eastern Washington. The SpotHIDs proved to be very good for their size, but they aren't quite up to task for Driving Lights that we typically want to use.

I would compare them to be a good bit less the Hella Micro DE HID projector lamps (which retail for $700!). The do not afford the same lighting power of the PHIDS, but they are a good bit more "focused" than the PHIDs. The Spot HIDs do just what their namesake suggests: they throw a cone-shaped beamcast primarily concentrated in front of the bike.

Concur about the gay-ass chrome finish of these current lamps I'm testing, but fortunately, it is my understaning that a black-anodized version is going to be offered as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Radman,
TWN, I remember when I was first looking at FJR's the first used one had fork mounted driving lights. I know I've seen them for sale on somewhere on the web. I'll check it out and if I find something, I will post the info.

MO
Probably motolights.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that they're useless for the rider seeing anything better, but that they're somewhat useful for making the bike a bit more visable/obvious from the front (i.e. to help stupid cages from turning in front of you)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of the Motolite caliper mounts almost installed, just need a source for switched power for the relay then I'm done. I'll post about their worth.

Holy nitelites, Batman! This is the first time I have seen this thread. I was away for much too long. :(

Radman - excellent info.

Well, maybe its just me, and I don't get it, but I don't understand the allure of pencil beam. I love my PHIDs, driving light pattern and all. In fact, if I could change one thing about them, I would widen the beam pattern another 5-10 degrees.

Or perhaps I don't have them aimed properly?

So why is the pencil beam better in real world applications?

I think that basically the more narrow the beam the farther down the road you can point it, so the faster you expect to ride the farther you want the beam.

So why is the pencil beam better in real world applications?
I think because you have x amount of light energy available, make the best use of it. A wide dispersion works well up close, at low speed. As speed increases, one needs the extended vision to light the area one is approaching-the farther that vision, the better to anticipate whats coming up. Pencils are considered the high speed light of choice. Std high beams pick up the next closest area, while fogs and low beams work well to light a wide, close in area as low speed requires. Ideally, you would light up as huge an area as possible, but the energy requirements as well as room for mounting just isn't possible. Another aspect of the pencil is aimability-pointed at the road far ahead helps prevent glare from signs, posts, road striping etc and puts the light out where at speed, you are looking.

I think that basically the more narrow the beam the farther down the road you can point it, so the faster you expect to ride the farther you want the beam.
I agree with that. I guess, for me, even at oh, um, some of the elevated speeds I can ride, I can't ride too fast or override the PHIDs. They seem to go our forever!

Perhaps if I tried a pencil beam, I would "see the light" so to speak. :haha:

But like I said, I even wish the PHIDs beam was a wee bit wider, particularly for forest rats. I still like my high beams on as they light the some of the closer area where forest rats can come from, that the PHIDs aren't hitting.

I am so confused!!! :confused:

Warchild is the Master, I will just get what he has. :p :p :bleh: :bleh: :p :p
But, but, but, but...............

That's what I did, and he went and changed them on me!

Waaaaaaaaah!

twowheelnut

I am currently mounting a set of Kuryakyn bullets to the reflector bar on the caliper,, these lights are designed for cruisers,, but look like the BMW lights ,,

I am also going to try a set of automotive P clamps ,, to attach them to the lower legs,, this clamp has a rubber inner ring and stainless outer ring ,,

I have begun rigging my bike for long distance running ,,

and would greatly appreciate any assistance ,, concerning GPS ,, CB ,, or any other knowledge that you might offer,,,

Like,,

I am not sure I want a fuel cell ,, it looks to me like most Ironbut runs require you to stop prior to any use of this equiptment ,, and the weight seems to be an issue for me,,

twowheelnutI am currently mounting a set of Kuryakyn bullets to the reflector bar on the caliper,, these lights are designed for cruisers,, but look like the BMW lights ,,

I am also going to try a set of automotive P clamps ,, to attach them to the lower legs,, this clamp has a rubber inner ring and stainless outer ring ,,

I have begun rigging my bike for long distance running ,,

and would greatly appreciate any assistance ,, concerning GPS ,, CB ,, or any other knowledge that you might offer,,,

Like,,

I am not sure I want a fuel cell ,, it looks to me like most Ironbut runs require you to stop prior to any use of this equiptment ,, and the weight seems to be an issue for me,,
First of all, Twowheelnut is only good for info on how to treat Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

Good. Ok. Now that that's out of the way......

Not so. I think it is very useful, though not necessary. You can read where it helped me on recent BBG ride here: Clicky, clicky

Like I said, depending on what type of rides you plan on doing, it is not necessary. But.......most iron butt types have them, and there is a reason for that.

Oh no, I get gas at those stops. But only having to gas at 310-350 miles is far more desirable than having to gas every 180-200 miles, which is what I would have to do w/o the fuel cell. Elevated speeds = drop in fuel mileage and less range. And out here in the west, at 3am, finding an open gas station is not necessarily easy. Having that extra range provides a whole bunch of flexibility and peace of mind. Plus, less stops, higher average speed.