Starting in 2nd Gear (AE Model)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cusp Man

Reaction score
Cycle World had a long term wrap-up on the 1300AE model. Despite owner input that found real world riders of the AE to be very happy with the auto clutch, the folks at the magazine preferred the standard clutch. This reminds me of almost every automobile mag where there's heaps of bitchin' & moanin' if the model comes only with an automatic transmission. Conversely, they NEVER moan if it comes only with a manual!

However, they did comment that they preferred to nearly always start off in 2nd gear to avoid the "clunk" of going into 2nd. I have noticed that this is the toughest shift to make cleanly also. My question, then, is two fold: 1. Do any of you riders do this? 2. Have you read/heard anything that would urge one not to do this for some reason. Obviously, if top acceleration is desired you would not do this, but I'm talking about everyday riding. Thanks for any input on this question.

By the way I attempted to search on this topic w/o any result. Apologies if it's been previously covered and my searching was imperfect.

I've been riding mine for about 9 months now and have never heard of anyone else doing it. I have done it when not paying attention and downshifting when coming to a stop. No noticeable difference to speak of though.

I also read that, but it has been my experience that the computer will slip the clutch a little more than what is required. The "clunk" isn't as bad if I use the foot shifter vise the button/lever. That being said, I only shift into 1st if I'm at a complete stop. I will leave the bike in 2nd when doing rolling stops or even a quick track stand just before the light changes. Anyhoo, that approach has given me the best results.

As far as standard clutch vs. auto, the auto clutch has really grown on me. In the beginning, the jury was out for a bit, but I really do enjoy the difference. But, I'm not sure if I would want an AE model for my only bike. I still enjoy shifting and fortunately, I have three other bikes (plus my g/f's) that I can ride.

Cheers,

Joe

Cycle World had a long term wrap-up on the 1300AE model....

However, they did comment that they preferred to nearly always start off in 2nd gear to avoid the "clunk" of going into 2nd. I have noticed that this is the toughest shift to make cleanly also. My question, then, is two fold: 1. Do any of you riders do this? 2. Have you read/heard anything that would urge one not to do this for some reason.

In my experience, this is the shift that requires the most skill to do cleanly. I find that allowing the revs to go higher than is necessary in 1st, say to 4000 or so, allows an easier shift to 2nd. This is not how I ride in slow traffic (unnecessary revving goes against the grain for me).

A smooth change is possible at lower revs, but requires good judgement on exactly when to dip the throttle, and for how much and how long.

And, particularly when not wanting to accelerate in 2nd, it's very easy to jerk the suspension.

As for taking off in 2nd, the bike's quite capable, but initial acceleration is unsatisfactory. I only do it by accident, not having gone down all the way in the box when coming to rest. (I don't like going down in the box when stationary, a couple of times I got neutral and tried to move off. Not good.) The bike will move off quite happily in 4th (done it just to see), but very sluggish.

The only reason not to use 2nd to start (other than sluggish take-off) would be extra wear on the clutch. I consider this insignificant (I've not heard of any wear problems with the FJR's clutch, I think it's well able to cope with this.

I haven't experienced the crunchiness but found starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear in tight u turns(parking lots, etc) is safer than the slight leap forward you get in first. Starting in 2nd or 3rd helps since you do not have the fine control that a clutch provides.

I haven't experienced the crunchiness but found starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear in tight u turns(parking lots, etc) is safer than the slight leap forward you get in first. Starting in 2nd or 3rd helps since you do not have the fine control that a clutch provides.
The bad thing about starting off in first gear is it won't turn well with the front wheel off the ground.

Sure, they're riding a loaner bike. I wouldn't start off in 2nd....no reason. I have never had a "clunking" issue with mine. The only thing I get is a little slip in the clutch if I get on it too much going into 2nd.

I learned not to dip the throttle when changing up unless doing a racing start. The AE seems to make a better job of changing up if you let the electronics work it out for itself. The shift from 1st to 2nd still gives a slight clunk, but that is true for many bikes.

Regards

Chris

I agree with CJ. I do not dip the throttle at all and am able to get imperceptable shifts at 2,500 - 3,000 using light to moderate throttle. Harder throttle imput requires higher shift point to be smooth. A half hour experimenting should be all that is necessary for greasy shifts. Make sure the clutch engagement levels are set correctly for your style.

I have no problems with the first to second change or any other for that matter, the shift has become second nature now after 15,000 plus klms. When travelling slow or in traffic I find the smoothest change is had by not dipping the throttle and also not concentrating to much on the change itself. For fast starts and rapid acceleration I dip the throttle but very quickly and find that it is very smooth.

As far as second gear starts, I only do it when I have not been concentrating and have stopped in second or even third by mistake. Although the bike will start in any gear, I would not recommend it for longevity of the clutch. It is still slipping the same as a manually operated unit and you will punish it with repeated high gear starts, just the same as you would with any manual clutch.

Cejay

CW says a lot of bikes clunk. Who gives a rats rearend? Is the "clunk" supposed to be destructive in some way or are they just worried about their image on the street? Personally, I think they remarked about 2nd gear so they could sound "knowledgeable."

I don't think it clunks, but it is your opinion to start out in 1st or 2nd. Cycle world says to use 2nd. Their article also is the first mention I have heard as to clutch adjustment issues. You put 2+2 together and see what you think. They probably don't let off the throttle between 1-2 upshift and just let it slip. That would account for their unbeliveable high 1/4 mile times. They also look to the high side of the sporting/touring curve. Yes, for this the standard model will be better. Not everyone does triple digits everywhere or constantly drags the pegs.

If you want to sell liter class sportbikes to 18 year olds, trust the media. They seemed very close minded and over critical of this since it was first released. For unbiased opinions, I haven't found a place yet.

Am riding my bike after it had a too long, two month stay in the shop. (Under "Insurance" in the Forum.) Anyway, I am quite glad to have posted the take from Cycle World as it has yielded some great comments/suggestions from the group that I will be experimenting with as I hop aboard and use that finger shifter again. I logged three hours riding today and nothing has changed my mind about vastly preferring the electronic clutch to the manual. To each their own, of course, but this is MY own!

I've put over 20k on mine and know that, if it is a normal take off with normal speed, it shifts to 2nd at 20mph and 3rd at 30mph, etc., and is butter/silk smooth with no clunks whatsoever. Why would you want to put extra wear on a clutch system trying to pull around 800#s from a dead stand still in 2nd? :blink:

Slow manuvers in 1st are no problem because you can feel the clutch slip on its own until you get to the rpm that it locks totally into 1st. Have to admit, though, that life would be better with that throttle cam I've yet to purchase/install.

I have had my 2006 AE for well, since EARLY 2006 and I don't mean to be a naysayer but my bike only goes "Clunk" from N > 1st.

It did when I first started riding it, I am saying that practice makes perfect. I have also had my bike on the track and I am not even sure what I do to the throttle when I shift anymore. Modulating it has become automatic, but I do modulate it and it is different every time depending on the attitude of the bike at that moment.

I am not a super rider (see I just got my bike back thread) I just tried all kinds of stuff and found what my bike likes, shifts like a caddy always.... Cept from Neutral lol

06 AE with 30k miles. Only time I have accelerated from a stop in other than 1st gear was caused by a mistake on my part. I have had my accelerate from stop in 4th withou much problem except acceleration speed. I am not a mechanic but I think using other than 1st gear acceleration from a stop will create excessive wear on the clutch plates.

About the gear "clunking", I have owned many different Yamaha's over the many years and all of my have some clunking noise when shifting into 1st gear.

Yep, Besides, is they did not think 1st gear was a good idea why'd they put it on the bike.......... Ohh Cuz no one will buy a 4 speed. Esp those that want a 6th gear LOL