Stebel Nautilus + One of the original horns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdc

Reaction score
This weekend I spend countless hours with the help of a friend installing the Stebel Nautilus.

After checking all posts I could find here, including FJRandy and Harald's, we tried installing the compressor on one side and the horn on the other.

It looked as if was a good solution without having to cut any plastics, what we did not realize is that once the bike was off the center stand, the fork hit the horn!

So Sunday night I moved the horn to the center like Harald!

I also put back one of the originals, what seems to be the high tone, just to help make noise.

Final result:

Horn2.jpg

Wrong Install:

HornNotgood.jpg

Compressor installed

CompressorMounted.jpg

Brackets (Horn & Compressor)

CompressorBracket-1.jpg

CompressorBracket-2.jpg

HornBracket1.jpg

HornBracket2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were you I would check the horn and your brake lines. I just spent the last 2 days trying to get mine installed and could find no way to get mine mounted in the center as you have and not have the brake lines hit the horn when loaded and in a turn. A test ride showed the brake lines rubbing on the horn. If your not looking for it the first thing you may notice is you loose your brakes.

Why take a beautiful motorcycle and fubar it and turn it Fugly?

Well, I guess it makes identifying your bike at a motorcycle rally easier to find...
it makes the 18 wheelers know I'm there when they head into my lane in the middle of the unlighted superslab night :clapping:

function over form saves my life every time :rolleyes:

funny though, under the ribbing at SFO, I actually got some compliments on the bike as a whole and was told it all works with it, even the horn. Some people have no taste !!! :unsure:

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
Why take a beautiful motorcycle and fubar it and turn it Fugly?

Well, I guess it makes identifying your bike at a motorcycle rally easier to find...
it makes the 18 wheelers know I'm there when they head into my lane in the middle of the unlighted superslab night :clapping:

function over form saves my life every time :rolleyes:

funny though, under the ribbing at SFO, I actually got some compliments on the bike as a whole and was told it all works with it, even the horn. Some people have no taste !!! :unsure:

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'
I musta been tired when I wrote that Mike, and forgot the smilies and grins. I hope you get the bike up and running soon, with all the geegaws attached and working.

:)

If I were you I would check the horn and your brake lines. I just spent the last 2 days trying to get mine installed and could find no way to get mine mounted in the center as you have and not have the brake lines hit the horn when loaded and in a turn. A test ride showed the brake lines rubbing on the horn. If your not looking for it the first thing you may notice is you loose your brakes.
It can be tough to get the bracket just right, but I can guarantee that nothing will hit with my install. I checked carefully when I designed the bracket and after many thousands of miles there's no evidence of contact anywhere. I ride fairly agressively, even when fully loaded with passenger and gear, and no contact anywhere.

I also put back one of the originals, what seems to be the high tone, just to help make noise.
I also figured extra noise can't hurt. I left both originals installed and hooked up, but I can't really tell if they are still honking because they are overpowered by the Stebel.

I also figured extra noise can't hurt. I left both originals installed and hooked up, but I can't really tell if they are still honking because they are overpowered by the Stebel.
I installed the Stebel Magnum horns and it was an easy install and IMHO almost as loud as the ones you got. The Magnums just don't require as much room.

Original tweeters removed since they're absolutely useless. :rolleyes:

JKING32:

Thanks for pointing this out.

I will 'double-check' to be on the safe side.

I finally got mine installed. I did have to seperate the horn and the compressor. I put the compressor under the heat control blank off plate. I fabbed up a bracket and used two clamps and it worked fine. I ran a hose across the top of the radiator to the horn which I mounted on the starboard side horn mount. Mine was not a Stebel, but a Wolo Bad Boy. They look almost the same, but mine did not have a tube pointing down off the top of the compressor, but a hole in the side. I had to get a little creative to get a tube solidly mounted in the hole so I could put a hose on it. I had to do the same with the horn itself. It took a lot longer than I expected, as I spent the entire first day trying to get it to work with the horn in the middle of the forks, several different ways.

I am happy with the end result as it is a pretty clean install. I just did not expect it to take 2 and 1/2 days and several trips to the store to buy the hardware to make it all work.

It is a cool sounding, loud as hell horn.