Steel Braided Brake Lines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

Reaction score
Has anyone have these on there bike? If so where did you get them and the cost.

It is for my friends 06A.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

I've got the Galfer lines for my 05 non abs from Sportbike effects for around $120, if I recall correctly for all 3 brake lines. Many other have Speiglers and love 'em for their abs'd bikes. I'm sure they will chime in quickly, though. I'd love to say how they work but since I got the bike back together I haven't been able to ride due to an injury :angry2: , go figure!

To the best of my knowledge, neither Spiegler nor HEL has a SS Brake Line kit for the GenII LBS/ABS model FJRs. Not yet, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stainless lines are stainless lines. You will love the improved stopping power, and I highly doubt you will be able to tell the difference between brands. I just recommend that you go with a known brand to avoid problems, (Galfer, Spiegler, Goodridge, it won't matter.) and if you so desire, some better pads.

On my R6, it was one of the best investments I ever made. I put on a set of Galfer lines and pads, and the stopping power was night and day. I plan on doing this to my FJR shortly, as the front brakes are good, but could be way better.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I didn't notice that little "A" after the year. I have NO experience whatsoever with ABS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks WC. Dealer said the brake lines run into a block

under the steering stem. He could not remove them.

He has someone in Florida to make them if he could

get them off. Could this be the ABS?

If the OEM brake hoses are so "spongy" as I hear and putting stainless braided brake lines on improves braking significantly then I need to understand how all the factory ABS systems work so well with those darned "spongy" OEM rubber coated brake lines...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No doubt the stainless braided lines look cool and might outlast the OEM hoses (not that I have ever seen an OEM brake line fail from age or otherwise) but I seriously doubt there is any measureable difference in braking effort or capability with them.

The ABS systems work by rapidly pulsating the brake pressure so if there was any "spongyness" or "give" to the OEM style lines they would act as an accumulator and deteriorate the ABS operation. Don't happen.

And this from a guy with stainless braided brake lines on his bike...... :D :D :D I just like the way they look.

I have the HEL lines on my '05. I went with dual lines directly from the master cylinder. Vancosport had a sale for front and back lines for $100. No ABS. I am happy with the lines, but they were all a bit longer than stock and I had to do some fancy routing to accomodate the extra length.

I don't remember which brand it was, but one of the SS brake line manufacturers was talking about how their lines are a little narrower than stock and that gave them a little more leverage. Not sure if that's true, but worth asking about when you are deciding which to get.

Jestal saaid:

No doubt the stainless braided lines look cool and might outlast the OEM hoses (not that I have ever seen an OEM brake line fail from age or otherwise) but I seriously doubt there is any measureable difference in braking effort or capability with them.
The ABS systems work by rapidly pulsating the brake pressure so if there was any "spongyness" or "give" to the OEM style lines they would act as an accumulator and deteriorate the ABS operation. Don't happen.
+1

I can see some durability over time consideration in addition to appearance or even some track cooling possibilities but not "transformed" braking unless in the process of installation you evacuated some air out of the system. I'm listening, but you'll have to make it good. <_<

Isn't ABS only engaged when the front begins to lock up, like in a car, or does it pulsate all the time?

And yeah, after putting on stainless lines (might have been because I bled the shit out of them) my brake lever was as hard as a rock!

I'd of done them in a heartbeat but for the ABS on Frank-understand it's a real undertaking (and a buncha $) on an ABS equipped bike. I can understand the improved feel that comes with the change, but never considered just that worth the expense and trouble to install. Until Frank quits stopping as well as he does, the oe lines have nothing to fear from me.

Yes, the ABS only pulsates the pressure in the braking system when it is controlling during (impending) lockup but the point is that regardless of when the ABS is operating if the brake lines had any compliance to them then the ABS would not work as it pulsates very high pressurs MUCH faster than a rider could by manually working the lever. Any sponginess or give in the OEM lines would negate the effect of the ABS sytem pulsing the brake pressure. The ABS works fine with the OEM lines so it solid proof that the braided lines do not add any additional performance to the braking system. They look nice but any gain in brake "feel" or "performance" was likely due to the aftermarket pads/rotors installed at the same time and/or the effect of bleeding any air or moisture from the system during the install. It wasn't the braided stainless lines.

Yes, the ABS only pulsates the pressure in the braking system when it is controlling during (impending) lockup but the point is that regardless of when the ABS is operating if the brake lines had any compliance to them then the ABS would not work as it pulsates very high pressurs MUCH faster than a rider could by manually working the lever. Any sponginess or give in the OEM lines would negate the effect of the ABS sytem pulsing the brake pressure. The ABS works fine with the OEM lines so it solid proof that the braided lines do not add any additional performance to the braking system. They look nice but any gain in brake "feel" or "performance" was likely due to the aftermarket pads/rotors installed at the same time and/or the effect of bleeding any air or moisture from the system during the install. It wasn't the braided stainless lines.
When I saw Jestal's name as the last post on this thread, I knew without reading it that he was going to call "bullsh*t!"

And I love it.

Thanks to Jestal I'm putting the wonderfully inexpensive Rotella in the bike, after having been convinced that all these fancy motorcycle oils and synthetics were overkill, and that I'm getting the finest protection available.

Glad to know I can scratch the braided lines off my list. Not that the brakes have ever bothered me on the FJR. Thins thing stops and goes like a mother_____r.

When I saw Jestal's name as the last post on this thread, I knew without reading it that he was going to call "bullsh*t!"
And I love it.

Thanks to Jestal I'm putting the wonderfully inexpensive Rotella in the bike, after having been convinced that all these fancy motorcycle oils and synthetics were overkill, and that I'm getting the finest protection available.

Glad to know I can scratch the braided lines off my list. Not that the brakes have ever bothered me on the FJR. Thins thing stops and goes like a mother_____r.
I'm not going to touch the oil comment, (I have seen many a Rotella discussion!!) but I really think there's more to the stainless lines than some people think.

I rode my R6 for 3 years before changing out lines (yes, I changed the pads too, but they weren't race compound they were Galfer's "Green" pads) and it really was a difference of night and day. I am pretty sure that over three years the lines would have worked all the bubbles out of the lines, and that they wouldn't have felt spongy over time.

I bled my stock fluid once, and bled the shit out of them too, and the lever was nowhere near as rock hard as it was after the stainless lines.

I know this is a "racing" application, but here's some more info on stainless lines.

https://www.1888fastlap.com/store/customer/...s.php?pageid=60

And for those that are looking for an explanation from someone without a financial interest giving the explanation, I am searching for a better one, and even in this one, they downplay carbon fiber lines, which are thought to perform even better than stainless, and are MUCH more expensive...

The advantage of stainless lines over stock lines in good condition is negligable. The real advantage comes when stock lines start to deteriorate. Then the stainless lines will be a huge improvement, because all of the hydraulic pressure will go towards pushing in the caliper pistons, not expanding the rubber lines. I had HEL lines on my 03, it helped a little in lever feel, but won't increase the overall braking ability. I'd put them on my 05, but it's ABS, and the line sets are $300. I think I'd rather buy a Power Programmer for that money.

I have a fairly new 07' and had ordered a set of brake lines through sportbike effects from galfer. Unfortunetly galfer was unaware of the significant changes from the gen 1 bikes to the gen 2 type, Jeff from sportbike effects has been nothing short of excellent in getting the situation resolved and initiated getting barbarus to galfer as a volunteer bike.

I have always replaced my brake lines on my bikes to stainless braided lines and have found significant improvements. One of the advantages that the FJR has going for it is much of the brake line runs to and from the ABS control unit are solid piping which mitigates expansion and thus the sponginess. Even though my bike is virtually new you can see the sponginess of the lines, if you squeeze the brake lever has hard as you can you can see the the brake lines move, albiet very very little. The rear brake is even more evident as it is almost completely a rubber composite line. Obviously this situation will only get worse over time. Any observed movement simply translates to volume change in the line and reduces feel performance but probably not overall stopping performance.

Normal riding with the FJR, the brake performance is simply excellent but over time I would expect it to deterioate although it would probably be almost undetectable. I expect with the install of the new brake lines, when they become available, to firm up the brakes even if it's very little. A friend of mine with a 06' Goldwing replaced all of his lines, all 13 seperate lines, with a kit I believe from galfer and it firmed up his system dramatically.

Do you honestly think that Yamaha engineers would put out a brake line that would not perform to the standards that are required by the manufacturing associating as well as for the publics safety?

Steel brake lines is nothing more than a gimick and it also is called 'Marketing'

I have some ocean front property in Kansas would you like to buy some? Oh it is low tide the water will be back later in the day.

Sticking with stock and no problem stopping.

spongy brakes= air moiture in your brakes= failure, have you ever failed to stop because of water?? Myths how people believe them over the actual facts..

Brake fluid operating temp. 400f-- dot 4 water boils at 212f at sea level ever reach boiling temp of water let alone brake fluid on your bike? Do not think so, operating temp of oem brake line will with stand oem temp. of brake fluid.( facts vs myths. )

If you were running an enduro or a hound and hare than I can understand steel brake lines

The no non sense approach saves me money with facts not myths......... weekend rider :) :D

I believe Barabus is the Guinea Pig for Gafler.

They have not returned my calls. I don't know how serious they are about this? In fact, I meantioned that I could be up there any time and I have a service manual for thier usage, but still haven't heard from them in over a week. In other words, don't hold your breath for anything ASAP. I know that they make a top notch product when they finish the design. Besides, how many people will do the 9 or so lines on thier ABS GenII bikes. Maybe they are reconsidering? Certainly thier marketing knows, but we will need Smitty back on the West to do installs again. LOL I hope it all comes together in a first rate product for the FJR community.