Steering Head roller bearings better?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyRider

Reaction score
I read some recent replies to posts about steering head shakes, front end clunks and other front end noises when braking or riding over rough roads. Next I Googled the FJR Forum for steering head bearings and read several strings about changing the front head bearings from the stock ball bearings to aftermarket roller bearings.

I know for or some members, the noises turned out to be or were suspected to be brake rotor or brake caliper issues. And some were suspected to be noise coming from the fork internals. I think one guy changed the fork springs and fixed his clunks.

But in several strings on front end noise a few members changed to roller bearings in the front steering head and talked about the poor quality of the stock ball bearings that yamaha built the bike with.

I'm inquiring further in this new string because in several strings about front end noises, the topic starters did not get back to the board with final results of their efforts to cure their front end noise issues after the steering head bearings became the suspected culprit, either loose or defective. Several just retorqued the stock bearings with some success.

From the pictures I saw in the strings about changing the bearings, the stock ball bearing I saw look as though the could allow more movement once some wear sets in and the original torque setting change as a result.

So my inquiry now is to those that have changed their steering head bearings form the Yamaha stock ball bearings to aftermarket roller bearings. Have their newly installed roller bearings, once properly torqued, fixed their front end shake and or clunking noise issues?

I just did mine,not because of any clunk or problems. I did it because of it was an upgrade to the suspension system.

After reading and seeing several rider that have done this to there bike and how it performed, I was convinced.

Whether you do the suspension upgrade and go with better front forksprings and valves is up to you. I believe the bearings by them self it 100% improvement over the ball berings,

I know there will be comment both ways but until you ride a bike with the upgrade or ask around you most likely will not know what an improvement it is.

I have done the front fork suspension, rear shock and gp suspension did this work and I installed the bearing and a super brace from Bikeeffects

From my poimt of view the bike traks better, no wobble, (never had a wobble since new 05) less front end noise ,better in the corners and less vibration.

If I had to do over again I would do the same work because of all the plussed it offers... and I am :) going down the road

I read some recent replies to posts about steering head shakes, front end clunks and other front end noises when braking or riding over rough roads. Next I Googled the FJR Forum for steering head bearings and read several strings about changing the front head bearings from the stock ball bearings to aftermarket roller bearings.
I know for or some members, the noises turned out to be or were suspected to be brake rotor or brake caliper issues. And some were suspected to be noise coming from the fork internals. I think one guy changed the fork springs and fixed his clunks.

But in several strings on front end noise a few members changed to roller bearings in the front steering head and talked about the poor quality of the stock ball bearings that yamaha built the bike with.

I'm inquiring further in this new string because in several strings about front end noises, the topic starters did not get back to the board with final results of their efforts to cure their front end noise issues after the steering head bearings became the suspected culprit, either loose or defective. Several just retorqued the stock bearings with some success.

From the pictures I saw in the strings about changing the bearings, the stock ball bearing I saw look as though the could allow more movement once some wear sets in and the original torque setting change as a result.

So my inquiry now is to those that have changed their steering head bearings form the Yamaha stock ball bearings to aftermarket roller bearings. Have their newly installed roller bearings, once properly torqued, fixed their front end shake and or clunking noise issues?
While installiing risers on mine it required the removal of the tripple clamp. I too had the clunking noise over bumps, so I just tightened the spanner nuts a bit with a few taps from a hammer and a screwdriver (since I don't have the $40 yamaha spanner wrench). No more clunks! :D

I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

I think my case might be a bit unique though as I have 75,000 miles on my bike and *think* the noise is coming from a groove in the race that the ball bearings sit in. Hard front pressure and they pop out of that groove with a "pung" feeling through the handlebars.

And, I don't think it's a quality of bearing issue, but a design choice of ball bearings vs. tapered bearings.

For the $35 - $40 for All Balls bearings and the age of my bike I figure it's due maintenance.

I plan on reporting back when I do change them.

Meanwhile, a nice Wikipedia entry comparing bearing types. And a picture of the two bearing types in question. Which would you rather have exerting force on a race? The round part of a ball...or a evenly distributed cylinder on a flat surface?

bearingcompareopen-400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking that the roller bearings are just going to be more robust. But that being said, I believe the ball bearings are adequate. I have never had any clunk or oscillations from my front end so I can't speak to those concerns. I have repacked and re-torqued my steering head bearings with no difference felt either way. If you have issues with your steering head, I would just try a repack and re-torque; if that doesn't give you any satisfaction, then I would try the roller bearing next.

In one word, yes. Absolutely worth the time.

Rick

I replaced mine with the tapered roller bearing set from All Balls.

Were the original ball set worn out, nope, only had around 5000 miles on them. I can only imagine that they were as good as new. I was suprised that they had a fair amount of grease on them as usually Yamaha barely uses any.

The tapered roller bearings are much, much better. It's hard to describe but definately better.

For about $35, and to know they will last for ever, it's a no-brainer IMO.

I was hesitant at first about the change and had the time to do i and see how it would be. Glad I did there are many reasons why they are better, like Lake Powell said it is the intangible that makes them better for each rider.

One thing, there is a learnig curve with the new bearing, that being only ridding the twisties for a short amount of time. Changing the bearings is the same as changing the rear shock, i.e. for more performance which is what one is after.

Since I done all the suspension work and beaerings my bike corners and rides so much smoother glad I did. :)

I was hesitant at first about the change and had the time to do it and see how it would be. Glad I did there are many reasons why they are better, like Lake Powell said it is the intangible that makes them better for each rider.

One thing, there is a learnig curve with the new bearing, that being only ridding the twisties for a short amount of time. Changing the bearings is the same as changing the rear shock, i.e. for more performance which is what one is after.

Since I done all the suspension work and beaerings my bike corners and rides so much smoother glad I did. :)

I chose not to go with the bearings from Allballs for $35.00 these are from China but did get the seals from them. I chose SKF bearings they are made in Koyo Japan an American company that moved there to make bearings. I believe the quality is better. The cost for both bearings and races -2 and seals-2 was $75.00 total.

So you have an option for cost and quality

Sorry for the double post my bad

Easy Rider,

Rides Alone here. I went to All Balls roller bearings on my '06 and have put approximately 5k miles on them and have no front end shake but still have some clunking on rough spots.

Not to say that the tapered bearing upgrade isn't a neat thing - because it is.

But I have 147,000 miles on my original ball bearing head bearings and no issues or problems.

Not to say that the tapered bearing upgrade isn't a neat thing - because it is.
But I have 147,000 miles on my original ball bearing head bearings and no issues or problems.
The "upgrade" is just another farkle that we install in order to think to ourselves that our bike is better than someone else's bike. There are no real loads that would require tapered roller bearings for this application. Properly lubed ball bearings, with a properly torqued steering stem, ought to go a long way and give very good service.

I see engine mods all the time where the modifier knows he's made a big improvement, and then the dyno breaks his heart. This stuff is just so subjective.

Forget the farkles. You won't get anything for them when you sell the bike anyway. Keep-R-Stock and Ride. :bike:

Skooter,

My clunking started after my riding buddy and I practiced a half dozen 80+ to 0mph stops as quickly as we could (believing we should know what occurs with both us and our bikes in an emergency stop). I retighten the bearings and reduced the clunk, but only for a short time.

I do now enjoy the new tapered bearings.

Regrards,

B

My clunking started after my riding buddy and I practiced a half dozen 80+ to 0mph stops as quickly as we could (believing we should know what occurs with both us and our bikes in an emergency stop). I retighten the bearings and reduced the clunk, but only for a short time.
I do now enjoy the new tapered bearings.
1. The original set up was probably not tight to begin with. If you read the discussion about the wheel bearing failure the other day, this is a similar situation. If there were impact on the bearing due to your "practicing," it would be hard to get it right after the fact. If you'd tightened things up BEFORE your practice, you might never have had the clunk.

2. Practicing like you've described can be defended under the "be prepared" heading, however there are also some other down sides besides the clunk you were able to introduce. I had a friend who used to practice like this with his ST1100. He warped his rotors, cupped his tires, and wore out his fork seals. He wondered why mine was so much more nimble and responsive. Hmmmmmm......

FWIW, the bearing "upgrade" won't hurt anything, its not too expensive, and certainly the tapered roller bearings should last a long time.... the Herzian contact stress will be lower in the roller bearing due to the line contact vs. point contact. Its a legitimate upgrade - far more useful than many others that get proposed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tightened once to spec and never had a problem again. I spent $0.00 to do this.

Ball bearings have less friction and are easier to turn as well.

Ball bearings have less friction and are easier to turn as well.
I thought this was a good insight because it implies that the line contact roller bearings may offer more resistance to turning (assuming both bearings are correctly installed and torqued).

The additional resistance would provide some informal extra damping, and this could give folks their perceived improvement, or at least change, in the handling with the tapered roller bearings.