Stirring Things Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCC

Reaction score
Did the obligatory "Intro First".

The FJ was a great bike, but it need(s)ed taller gearing, better wind protection, luggage and please please, a velvety smooth mount. It was never underpowered. And despite what the "party line" now says, it worked unbelievably well with Metzler RADIALS, when they made them to fit.

So the FJR still buzzez, is only moderately more powerful, finds people still struggling for the right wind protection & seating, and taller gearing.... And it is 20+ years later....

And to really piss people off.. the more I look at mint vintage FJ's the more I find the FJR, less attractive... Check out the 86 on EBay now, with 1300 miles... closes tomorrow, 04/24/08, last time I looked, $2800, will your FJR fair as well?

But ... The 08 is seducing me.. why should I, convince me please...

Just got an '08 today. If in 22 years it only has 1300 miles on it, something has gone seriously wrong. <_<

It's a mass produced SST, not a collector's item.

I don't think my job--or intent--is to convince you of anything, but I would consider a few things.

As far as struggling to find good wind protection or seating, that's gonna be true no matter what bike you're talking about or when it was made. A production bike is made for the general market. Individual riders are going to have their own wants or needs, due to different body sizes, or sheer cussedness. I mean you started off with a laundry list of things that were wrong with the FJ. There's always going to be something wrong with every bike...for you.

In terms of taller gearing, the FJR redlines at 9k, and 4k rpm in 5th gear is 80MPH. I'm not exactly sure how much taller you need the gearing to be.

As far as the e-bay deal goes...a 22 year-old bike with 1900 miles? That bike's been doing a lot of sitting around, while seal and hoses dry up and crack. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the 2800 bucks is the real price of getting it back in running order.

At the end of the day, though, you gotta buy what you like. You're the one that's gotta ride it.

"I like my knees in the breeze".....quoted by the infamous Lay-Back-Lenny, circa 1967 A.D., a.k.a. Ed "RatFink" Roth. R.I.P.

So what ya worried about, just do it. PM. <>< B)

Just got an '08 today. If in 22 years it only has 1300 miles on it, something has gone seriously wrong. <_<
It's a mass produced SST, not a collector's item.
Disagree.. Here's Item number: 330229076738 Easy enough search.

Check it out, I aint buying it or selling mine. Buts its near mint to me, hard to fake the detail in photo's .

And someone thinks FJ's are valuable. Question is Is the FJR worth $12K more.

Hoping for more than people defending the FJR. Really wanted why its a better bike.

I don't think my job--or intent--is to convince you of anything, but I would consider a few things.
As far as struggling to find good wind protection or seating, that's gonna be true no matter what bike you're talking about or when it was made. A production bike is made for the general market. Individual riders are going to have their own wants or needs, due to different body sizes, or sheer cussedness. I mean you started off with a laundry list of things that were wrong with the FJ. There's always going to be something wrong with every bike...for you.

In terms of taller gearing, the FJR redlines at 9k, and 4k rpm in 5th gear is 80MPH. I'm not exactly sure how much taller you need the gearing to be.

As far as the e-bay deal goes...a 22 year-old bike with 1900 miles? That bike's been doing a lot of sitting around, while seal and hoses dry up and crack. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the 2800 bucks is the real price of getting it back in running order.

At the end of the day, though, you gotta buy what you like. You're the one that's gotta ride it.
No Laundry List.. Vibration, Vibration, Vibration, Wind Coverage

Nobody would give a rats ass about taller gearing if the bike was smooth. Taller gearing is to minimize VIBRATION, not for gas mileage. You concede that, or you don't..

Lead shot in the bars, ECU mapping, spark plugs,, give me a break.

The FJR BUZZZZZZZZ'a. Admit it guys. Why it is a shame is the FJR is because of the FJ. Please don't forget that.. And the FJ BUZZZZZZZed.

Rather than playing troll games, why not ask a real question?

Re: FJ vs. FJR. There are a number of owners here who own both. Why not be patient and wait for one of them to respond? If that is your actual question.....

If the issue is the purchase price, stay with the FJ, its a great bike and certainly has a loyal following. Nobody can justify what you are willing to pay and the reasons for departing with your valuable assets.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right. The fjr is not perfect.

I think the tone of your post may be keeping you from getting responses. I don't feel a need to "Justify" my bike. To come out and bash a particular bike on what I consider to be its "Home" board then expect people to want to talk to you and convince you to join their ranks seems a bit narcissistic.

The connie is a nice bike too. If you don't like the FJR look at that bike or one of the many others in its class. Or you could ask others what they have done to resolve some things if you really want to.

From the Ebay ad

It starts and runs.. but it needs tuning and and someone to go through it and check everything out.

Hoping for more than people defending the FJR. Really wanted why its a better bike.
good luck. get back with us and let us know how that works out for you.

buy or don't buy. it's your call. expecting us to do your work for you sounds an awful lot like someone convinced the world owes him/her something. entitlement mentalities irk me.

My bars still buzz, my hand still gets numb and my wrist gets sore. Big Fucking Deal. 24K miles later, still love the bike. Get over it, make up your own mind, ride what you like. I'll be on my AE for a long time, buzz or not.

Sell it.

Well.... buy it first, then sell it. You'll feel better about your decision process.
goodboy.gif

It's almost Friday.....

I would agree. My K100RS was procured at 10-11 years old depending on production with just shy of 2000 miles. I thought it was cool to own a BMW with such low miles until I could not keep up with everything that was falling apart due to lack of use. Everything that needed regular use and lubrication(no jokes please) just kept failing. But someone will think that is a real find. I agree, I think the FJ is a classic.

In 20 years, going from an FJ to an FJR is a real leap. From the BMW to the FJR was less of a leap, but a vast improvement none the less. I think that was because the comparisons were apples to oranges and apples to apples, respectively. And yes, I know that we are talking about a 10 year newer bike.

I think that I would hang on to both the FJ and FJR. B)

EDIT>>Ok, I may have mis-read. At first I thought you had an FJ, but it appears you don't. My answer for why a new over classic would be different than your answer. Are you a classic kind of guy or a latest greatest kind of guy. Classic kind of guys seem to spend a little more time tinkering than the late model guys. No, I am not referring to 'farkles'. That is usually the appeal of classic anything. I intend to go late model so I can can spend time riding and then later add a classic..and yes, that might just be an FJ.

I have a riding buddy that still has his. Back 10 years ago he did a wheel conversion using gsxr rims. Now the bike uses 17" radial tires. I personally haven't looked for the tire sizes that came stock, but he always complained of that one aspect the most. So he fixed it.

If you can find one thats running, it would still be a nice ride. i imagine things like the seat foam and rubber seals might need to be looked at closely just because of the age.

I only rode the bike with the 16" front. i didnt like the handling. The bike wanted to fall into corners. Braking was heavy. And the front forks dived excessively under hard braking. He did later change the forks internals but dont recall with what. Look closely at the fork seals for leaking.

We live at higher altitude so you cant just slap in a dynojet carb kit. At our altitude (6000ft) rejetting of the carbs was the norm. After he sorted it out, it ran very nice. I personally love Fuel injection just for the tuneability.

When you buy that vintage beast, ill be interested to see what mods it had done to it. Stock the bike was just ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.