Stirring Things Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sell it.
Well.... buy it first, then sell it. You'll feel better about your decision process.
goodboy.gif

It's almost Friday.....
Here is as good a place as any....

Thanks for closing the duplicate thread.

My apologies for offending folks, was not my intentiion. But it was my fault.

The FJR is obviously a vastly better machine than the original FJ. But it had better be.

Fit and Finish on FJ's sucked, Fuel Starvation Issues, Instrumentation Issues.

Tons more negatives, But I loved the bike, and still do.

I do own from new, an 86 FJ, and a used 89 FJ. For now, at least, won't part with either.

I was looking forward to adding an FJR when it first apeared... but

Based on reviews decided to pass. Again, not to offend, for me, it was the correct decision.

The original FJ, if well looked after, is a hell of a ride. And again, not to offend,

I don't think I missed anything that special. Would be different, if I wasn't on an FJ.

Fiinally, the 08 FJR has almost got me. Think its best looking, although I'm certain why, and maybe the most refined. Reinforced by the few thoughtful comments I got, while sifting through the dribble.

And a refined FJR, is what I wanted from Yamaha. I don't like the Connie, Don't Like The Honda ST. I always wanted the extension of my original FJ. But I wanted the unrefined aspects of it addressed. And was willing to wait with my FJ, until they were. Thats it.

Vibration for me is a big deal. You can grin under your helmet on a FJ too, but if you're riding for little more than 2 highway hours, and your arms ache, it kinda sucks.

Plus.. vibration erodes the feeling of quality in the bike, and makes things come loose and fall off.

(llike side bags & nuts & bolts) Smoothest bike I ever put more than 10K on, 1982 Honda CB900F

Pretty, open, simple, but didn't handle. Motor, Inline four, just like the FJ, but 26 years ago.

So why can't Yamaha, in all that time, refine the FJR. Like some of you have said, they have.

Make it velvet, and you have the most perfect bike.

To those who sought nothing but to offend me..

I was attacking Yamaha, not you, nor the FJR's

And for Lame....

Lame is forcing new forum members to "Intro"

Lame is trend sucking.

Lame is calling mods and add-ons, "Farkles"

Lame is defining "Farkles"

Lame is calling Links, "clickies"

Lame is riding well above your ability

Lame is speaking well above your ability.

Lame is using words like troll & trolling and thinking its cool.

Lame is spending $15K on a bike, doing it again in two or three years for superficial changes.

Lame is being dissatisfied with something, without the courage to admit the dissatisfaction.

With the exception of a few... the biggest bunch of whining A-Holes.

I'll buy my FJR from the same guy I bought my FJ from.

Will log more miles in 5 years, than most of you squids will log in a lifetime.

Probably already have. FJR is better than the FJ. Duuh.

"Gone trolling"

Even monkeys are embarrassed by this thread...

Embarrassed20chimpanzee_Tim20Davis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sell it.
Well.... buy it first, then sell it. You'll feel better about your decision process.
goodboy.gif

It's almost Friday.....
Here is as good a place as any....

Thanks for closing the duplicate thread.

The FJR is obviously a vastly better machine than the original FJ. But it had better be.

Fit and Finish on FJ's sucked, Fuel Starvation Issues, Instrumentation Issues.

Tons more negatives, But I loved the bike, and still do.

I do own from new, an 86 FJ, and a used 89 FJ. For now, at least, won't part with either.

I was looking forward to adding an FJR when it first apeared... but

Based on reviews decided to pass. Again, not to offend, for me, it was the correct decision.

The original FJ, if well looked after, is a hell of a ride. And again, not to offend,

I don't think I missed anything that special. Would be different, if I wasn't on an FJ.

Fiinally, the 08 FJR has almost got me. Think its best looking, although I'm certain why, and maybe the most refined. Reinforced by the few thoughtful comments I got, while sifting through the dribble.

And a refined FJR, is what I wanted from Yamaha. I don't like the Connie, Don't Like The Honda ST. I always wanted the extension of my original FJ. But I wanted the unrefined aspects of it addressed. And was willing to wait with my FJ, until they were. Thats it.

Vibration for me is a big deal. You can grin under your helmet on a FJ too, but if you're riding for little more than 2 highway hours, and your arms ache, it kinda sucks.

Plus.. vibration erodes the feeling of quality in the bike, and makes things come loose and fall off.

(llike side bags & nuts & bolts) Smoothest bike I ever put more than 10K on, 1982 Honda CB900F

Pretty, open, simple, but didn't handle. Motor, Inline four, just like the FJ, but 26 years ago.

So why can't Yamaha, in all that time, refine the FJR. Like some of you have said, they have.

Make it velvet, and you have the most perfect bike.

"Gone trolling"
wow, one troll hits two bikes, both the fj and fjr. are you kidding on the criticisms of the fj? apparently you don't decide to do anything about apparent issues on your fj, otherwise you'd have known how to fix any issues involving instrumentation (you mean the freakin' fuel gauge needle flipping over? fer fooks sake, man); fuel starvation? gimme a break. that problem is about as much as a problem as saying "the chains suck, i can't believe they need adjusting". vibration? try synching your carbs. try adjusting your chain. try maintaining your engine mounts. we're talking a 20 year old bike here, it's gonna need maintenance. there's a reason legends guys still use these engines, and there's a reason yamaha brought back the fj with present-day improvements and called it the fjr. "tons more negatives". yeah, sure. that's why it was a perennial winner in sport-touring shootouts in the 80's and early 90's. sounds like your fj got a lemon for an owner. ( :

dean

cincinnati

Last edited by a moderator:

Perhaps it was this statement from your original post and the post's title that confused us.

And to really piss people off.. the more I look at mint vintage FJ's the more I find the FJR, less attractive.

I think if you look at the majority of posts on this site relating to the actual workings of the FJR you will see problem identification accompanied by solution reccomendations followed by discussion and refinment.

Simply joining an FJR forum to bitch that, in your opinion, the 08 FJR isn't as nice as you think it should be certainly seems like trolling to me.

With the multitude of bikes out there to choose from, both new and used, I'm sure your time would be better spent finding one you really like instead of talking about one you've already decided you don't.

Dudes, give it a rest and let this thread die!

I can't believe it is STILL going.

[SIZE=8pt]Besides...I thought the FJR was a newer iteration of my XS1100.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Besides...I thought the FJR was a newer iteration of my XS1100.[/SIZE]
...?? Did you really own one? If so, cool! Mine was an '80. Many, many miles of memories on that bike. Absolutely bullet proof. In 8 years of hard riding (well over 120,000 miles), apart from normal consumables; tires, brakes, bulbs, I only had to replace the clutch 3 times and the final drive seals once. I miss her.... <sniff>

You wanna know what I think you should do? Never, ever should you allow another person(s) {unless they are your spouse} to influence your decision to purchase something; expecially something that costs $14,000.00 or more.

Your decision to ask for help when you are the one thats gonna have to live with the purchase lends me to believe that your decision making process is outta whack and as such, needs some modification on your part.

I would like to see you go back to step one and rethink the entire process using the following formula:

- - - Figure out what you like about the FJR1300

- - - Figure out what you don't like about the FJR1300

- - - Do the same comparison with other bikes

- - - Make a decision, ie., pick a bike based on the facts that you have arrived at

Go buy that bike and join the internet forum group for said.

Lame is forcing new forum members to "Intro"Lame is trend sucking.

Lame is spending $15K on a bike, doing it again in two or three years for superficial changes.

Lame is being dissatisfied with something, without the courage to admit the dissatisfaction.
Funny, and I mostly agree. However, I would add this:

Lame is asking on an electronic forum for a decision you should make yourself.

Lame is forcing new forum members to "Intro"Lame is trend sucking.

With the exception of a few... the biggest bunch of whining A-Holes.

I'll buy my FJR from the same guy I bought my FJ from.

Will log more miles in 5 years, than most of you squids will log in a lifetime.

Probably already have. FJR is better than the FJ. Duuh.

"Gone trolling"
"Still trolling after all thee-ee-ese years"

Congratulations! You've managed to keep this thread going on and on. Several times just when it looked like the thread was going to die of its own banality, you've stirred it all up again. You ought to consider doing one of the "For Dummies" books: "Trolling for Dummies." And we're the dummies. Don't take this as a criticism, please. I admire anyone who's good at what he does. And you are very good.

...?? Did you really own one? If so, cool! Mine was an '80. Many, many miles of memories on that bike. Absolutely bullet proof. In 8 years of hard riding (well over 120,000 miles), apart from normal consumables; tires, brakes, bulbs, I only had to replace the clutch 3 times and the final drive seals once. I miss her.... <sniff>
A picture, just for you:

Lassen-Shasta007.jpg

From when the '04 was first brought home....and I still had the Connie, too.

A picture, just for you:

Lassen-Shasta007.jpg

From when the '04 was first brought home....and I still had the Connie, too.
Nice! You know, I'd almost forgotten just how, um, "less-than-attractive" those Vetter fairings were, but there's no question that they did their job!

Yes, my FJR has some vibration, and my hand needs an occassional rest (I use a Vista Cruise). But it's my favorite bike I've ever owned, and I love it just like I love my dog even though she eats my other dogs shit. She's not perfect, but I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Yes, my FJR has some vibration, and my hand needs an occassional rest (I use a Vista Cruise). But it's my favorite bike I've ever owned, and I love it just like I love my dog even though she eats my other dogs shit. She's not perfect, but I wouldn't trade her for anything.
It's for quotes like this that we need a "best of" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.