Stock side cases direct from Yamaha

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phorest

Reaction score
I'm seeing stock cases being sold from Yamaha for around $470 each. What I'm wondering is if they'll come complete with new locks in them (that I can take to a locksmith), or if I need to order locks separately along with the cases?

Anybody ordered new side cases directly before?

Thanks in advance. :)

Sorry not sure on this one.

I have read that the new bikes come in with cases and locks have to be installed after delivery.

Read an thread earlier where a member was looking for a case, and it was suggested that he keep his locks if he were ordering new ones?

Oh well, guess I should have passed on this one. Good luck.

i not too sure either as far as i know when u purchase bike and cases they r keyed alike so id keep the old locks

good luck

Phorest:

I think you should go along with the top box for a while. Touring season is coming to a close and really you'd only want/need these for two up or longer trips. Maybe pick up some soft luggage (security less of a problem here than most of the world) for a little while if you really need the space. In that time maybe some used hard cases will pop up.

The answer is that they do NOT come with locks.

The bike ships with three locks keyed alike with the ignition and seat locks and they are intended to be installed in the side and optional top cases.

Yamaha does sell a set of three locks which can be rekeyed by any locksmith . . . part number is 5P5-28406-01-00. There is some confusion as to whether this is a set of three locks (with 2 keys) or if this is for a single lock with keys - the online parts fiche says 2 are used for a pair of bags, yet the Canadian web site clearly states and shows that they come as a set . . . same part number.

You will also require a small torx screwdriver and some loctite blue to keep the small screws that fasten the cam tang to the lock mechanism from falling out.

In some markets & for some years Yamaha has made the bags an optional accessory. So it is possible you never had bags in which case you will need some additional parts.

Does your bike have the rubber inserts (5VS-W9753-00-00) that the lower bag guides fit in? They are inserted on tangs in the left and right muffler stay brackets, at least on the Gen-II bikes. Gen-I machines apparently need parts 5JW-W9753-0L-00/5JW-W9753-0R-00

And, ordered bags do not come with liners nor with the paint protector decals.

Bags show up all the time on Ebay (at least in the US). Often they are scratched or just the wrong colour.

I have a scratched set that I "replaced" with another scratched set. Because I didn't want to be without a set of bags I bought the replacements and had them sent directly by the seller to Gary Crowley (Garauld on this board) who did an amazing job repainting them to match my bike and then he shipped the repainted bags to me. Strangely, I have not mounted the replacement bags on the bike even though I've had them for months. They sit in my basement, pristine.

Ever since she saw his avatar, my daughter has been pushing me to chop up the set to make head holes for the dogs so they can ride along with us like Duke does with his owner, Mark Eddy (marcusorelius on the board) - but our dogs are both smaller than his so even if I wanted to, I'm not sure how successful that would be.

Repainted used bags cost a fair amount less than new, even after paying Gary the $150 he charges for his work, though if you have ship across the Pacific, you may discover that the savings simply don't justify the hassle. But it is something you might want to investigate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seeing stock cases being sold from Yamaha for around $470 each. What I'm wondering is if they'll come complete with new locks in them (that I can take to a locksmith), or if I need to order locks separately along with the cases?

Since you're lucky enough to live in Japan were you can really split lanes I would suggest considering buying the City Side Cases instead of the standard "fat" cases. I remember that i could never filter traffic properly on my FJR in Japan when i had the cases on (so only used them very rarely), they just stick out too much to get though some of the tighter spaces b/w the cars. I also think the City cases just look better, sure you get a little less space but the back of the bike does not look huge.

Here are some action shots for a forum member:

475458419_nB6ZA-L.jpg

475458153_Dq4cB-L.jpg

475458161_ixbeJ-L.jpg

i recently ordered a set of bags...

no locks

no mounting hardware

if you need either or both, you need to order them separately... you can order a lockset that matches your ignition key... just give them the key number (it's on the little tag that's attached to one key)...

btw... the city bags are great for filtering...

Thanks for the detailed info everybody!! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Those city cases look sweet. I think I want a set of those in addition to the bigger ones for touring! Only challenge is finding a Euro parts supplier that will ship international.