Stock Windshield - Looking to get something else, options?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
I’m looking to replace my stock windshield, but I don’t want anything much taller or wider. Maybe an inch or two at most, but would like to stay with stock size. What are my options?

Check with Rifle. They come in all sizes and the colors too. They even do custom stuff. A bit bias since I've got one. 4" taller 4" wider. Love it. Virtually eliminates back pressure.

I just got a Cal. Sci. Bought it from the owner/desighner/fabricator in person. Great performance.

Cee Bailey's makes a (mostly) stock dimension windshield that is only 2 inches taller with a reverse flip. I hated the stock FJR shield, but that CB shield is my favorite summer shield because it greatly reduces turbulence (as long as I'm not behind some vehicles that create buffeting) without having to look through it. It has nice lines and doesn't look like a barn door like my Vstream does.

Cee Bailey is what I have used. 2+2 reversed flip the height will depend on your height. I'm around 6' and find it works great

+1 cee bailey reverse flip. Love mine. bought after it got the best reviews in a rider mag. article. article was specific to the fjr. I went 2out and 4up. I'm 6'2".

Cee Bailey for me too. 3+tall and 2+wide. I like the quality and thickness of the material. Those guy make aircraft window too and I'm guessing it is the same materials. This actually my second one. I'll buy another one if this one gets too scratched up to see out of. ;)

GP

What is the purpose of the reverse screen?
It does several things:

1- It flips the Air Up (I think it reduces turbulence for I don't have any)

2- I don't get hardly any bugs on my screen-- they Fly Up and Over without hitting the screen

3- It also keeps the Rain off of you just like the bugs...Up and Over

I too just purchased a Rifle windscreen, I can let you know once I install it... The stock screen worked best down and did nothing but make me feel loopy when up.

I purchased the Yamaha larger shield and did not like it, I took it off and gave it to a friend. The shield was indeed taller and wider than stock but I could not notice any difference in wind protection. I am guessing the reason was that the additional plastic had the same shape as the wind flow of the OEM shield. The reverse lip mentioned above would be doing just the opposite, trying to bend the air flow away as though the plastic was bigger than it really is.

What do you want your windscreen to do?

Summer? Winter?

I have a stock screen with a Laminair Lip and a Rifle Tuning Block that came with the huge Rifle that I use in the winter.

I'm really loving the stock screen, lip, block combo. Good airflow so my jacket vents well and the air is very clean on and over my helmet and not very strong.

The big Rifle is pure awesome in the winter. Use it on a hot day and you'll cook!

I have a Cee-Bailey +3 +2 that is as new if you would like to buy it for a good price. I also have a Rifle +5 +4 that I am using and love to death. I will say the CB is a great shield but with the bridge work in my neck I needed more protection from head shake. While the Rifle may be a bit hot in summer it relives the wind pressure from bending the rods and screws in my C1 and C2 vertebra.

I think most agree that true shield happiness takes two shields, Summer and Winter. However I have decided the Rifle will be year round for me but only because of my neck.

You cant go wrong with either shield but you have to decide what you want from it. Width is important to block off wind from your shoulders and to me is a very important part of your decision. Height is preference of looking through or over the shield. I hate looking through unless in bad weather. I also like the +5 height so I can raise it just a bit to make the stream pass over my head and get a bit of air through the bottom, and the width spreads the stream around my body so I dont get buffeting.

You can use some cardboard to mock up width and height to help you decide how wide or tall you would like your new one to be. Just tape it on your OEM with blue painters tape and check it out.

Cee Bailey +2+2. 5'-11" 165 lb. and typically one-up. No buffeting except in extreme conditions. Usually leave it all the way down unless it's raining or snowing. With it up I do notice more of a back "vacuum" than pressure, and more draw through the forks, which is nice on cold days. Have 20K or so miles with no dinks or scratches.