Street Masters Cornrnering Workshop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Masters Which date?

• 12 June

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 Sep

• 22 Oct

• 12 Nov

• Total voters

Tinker

Tinker
Reaction score
A bit ago I presented the possibioity of arranging an FJR event with the folks at Street Masters. A few of our select crew expressed interest in participating. So I'm presenting the information and proposal. As you consider this keep in mind this is not a race or speed oriented workshop. Street Masters is specificly designed for Sports-Touring and Touring riders, that is spirited and safe street riding. One more possibility for twofer teams (Two up riders), Streetmasters does have a two up workshop. If there is sufficient interest we will be able to work in training for that sub group. Bob and Jan are quite flexable and cooperative as well as professional and genuinly good people.

Avlilable Dates: 11 Jun, 10 Sep, 21 Oct, 12 Nov

Owing to their schedule our event would be on a Sunday. Other dates can be arranged. I have to give 30 (thurty) days notice to schedule the event.

Each rider will receive the 15% discount off the $360 fee.

Minimum number of riders = 32, Maximum =40.

If there is sufficient interest I will arrange accomidations in the beautiful Antelope Valley.

I attended the Street Masters Precision Cornering Workshop yesterday at Willow Springs Internationas Raceway in Rosamond CA. Horse Thief Mile is a fun, fun course. One mile, 11 or 13 turns (?) 500+ feet elevation change. In my opinion it is an exceptionally valuable experience. Well structured, informatiive, and plenty of track time. Plenty of individual attention. This is not at all the same as the MSF Experienced Rider Course. This is musc more comprehensive, the track goes up and down and actually turns.Very high on the list of improtant features is orientation. It is not a race day. Speed is not the objective, smooth confident control is.

No I don't get a kick back or discount for this. I'm not an employee, advertiser or family member. I just believe this is likely the best course for folks like most of us.

Look to the poll and leave a note here. Taking names and kic..... well, making plans. :bleh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in....10 Sep works best for me....I did the Willow Springs track with one of my older cars and it is awesome, how cool that must be with the Feejer!

ssides, Willow is an awsome course. The workshop is on the Horse Thief Mile track, not the main track. Thief is more consistant with the sort of riding we do in the twisties, tighter with more changes and challenges.

Count me in for 9-10.

Very interested in course if conducted at Willow Springs.

Drove out to with intent to watch a short portion of the class this weekend, however, at a cost to enter the racetrack of $20 ($10 per person), I didn't think it worth watching for 15-20 minutes.

Now ya tell us! :)

I met one of the instructors recently and he sold me on the class. I was SO convinced that it was what I needed that DH and I are signed up for the June class.

On their site, there are some great reviews from the press.

www.streetmasters.info

One reviewer describes a turn that he struggled with at 10mph in the morning. He was trying to get around without using the brakes but couldn't quite make it. By the conclusion of the day's class, he was taking that turn at 50mph.

Jill

I just finished it on Saturday, 4/22!! :bleh:

Jan was wonderful, as was Chris, Dennis, Walt, John, & Janice and all the other instructors. I was most impressed with their people skills. They really worked with you on an individual basis with praise and constructive criticism. I learned a lot and recommend them highly.

Roger

Those who have signed up through the general website could choose to change your dates. If all works out as hoped ours will be an all FJR workshop.

Roger were yu on the '03 or the '05. I saw the two of you in the other group but we never really had a chance to chatt. How did you like the experience?

Tinker, I was on the '05. The experience was very good. Especially shmoozing with the instuctors at the Hotel Pub. Some of the drills were interesting. The track was a lot of fun too.

I just finished it on Saturday, 4/22!! :bleh:
Jan was wonderful, as was Chris, Dennis, Walt, John, & Janice and all the other instructors. I was most impressed with their people skills. They really worked with you on an individual basis with praise and constructive criticism. I learned a lot and recommend them highly.

Roger
Thanks Roger. Glad you enjoyed it. I met Walt at an open house, and chatted to Jan on the phone. Both seemed very nice.

Did you work on parking lot drills? U-turns and the like are my major weak point. What I wouldn't give, to have the skill and confidence to perform flawless U-turns.

Jill

Jill,

Yes, there were many 'parking lot' drills. The instructors will really work with you and I'm sure you'll find that U-turns will not be a problem for you anymore.

Roger

Jill,Yes, there were many 'parking lot' drills. The instructors will really work with you and I'm sure you'll find that U-turns will not be a problem for you anymore.

Roger
That's good to hear. I know that I SHOULD be able to do U-turns with ease but...... there's something stopping me. I'm really looking forward to completing this class and getting those fears out of the way.

Jill

Lee Parks Total Control book, and I imagine his classes by the same name too, teach that in very low speed turning manuevers, you actually lean as much as you can to the outside of the corner with your body... the opposite of how you shift your weight at high speed turns. I've been practicing this whenever I get a chance in parking lots, and it really does help.