Streetmasters Cornering Workshop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leave Petaluma at 8:00 sweep through Ripon and pick you guys up at 10:00 sharp. Straight through to our one quick pit stop and gas up in Fresno, and then non-stop to Lancaster. Should be at the hotel by 3:00 latest! :D
I know you're eager to make dinner, MM2, but come on, fess up! You really just want to beat the weekend traffic, don't you? ;)
Now you are speaking my language! I'd rather be early and have options....

And, yes, I do not want to be on Hwy 58 in the late afternoon. ;)

Sacramento area riders....should we meet in Elk Grove @ 0830-0845, kickstands up @ 0900?

I suggest the Chevron on Laguna Blvd (8296 Laguna Blvd), East of Hwy 50 on the left side. Easy access, next to a McDonalds, easy freeway on-ramp.

In Ripon, let's meet at the Flying J (1501 Jack Tone Rd.).

Southbound, exit Jack Tone, turn L at the signal, over the highway and the truck stop/gas station/restaurant is on the left @ the signal (Santos Rd.).

Large parking lot/gathering area.

Again, easy on ramp to Southbound Hwy 99.

If we "top off" the gas tanks in Ripon, its 200 miles to Bakersfield........

And some of us may have to stop, not being in the physical shape others are.....

Old Michael, as members of the Candy Butt Association photography club, maybe you and I should leave Thursday at the crack of dawn (10 AM :rolleyes: ) and toodly-do down Hwy 1 to crash with our buddy TWN (if he's amenable etc.), then pop on over to Lancaster Friday. Maybe we stop in Creston or SLO and say howdy-do to dCarver and pick up my glasses.

Or we crash with dCarver, then get up early and hit Santa Barbara on the way to Lancaster.

Don't you love the way I invite myself to peoples' houses.... :rolleyes:

See map....

Jb

P.S. This probably really would be a crack-of-dawn ride--meaning leave Concord at 7 AM or so. And we'd hit rush hour (but I'm a veteran ha ha! :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
JB, ...IF I somehow get the Thurs. off, I'm thinkin' beach camping. The toes in the sand thing appeals to me. B) But with this warm weather, it's looking MUCH less likely that I'll be able to take the extra day. Work.

If that's the case, I'd love to join the procession with you fellows (the Madmike expedition) and do the I-5 express run to Lancaster.

Mike (Mad), has your posse discussed return trip routes?

Regarding your return trip Caliente-Bodfish Rd. plans:

Since you're planning to test your new found cornering skills, I'd like to volunteer to show you folks some of Kern County's hidden jewels enroute to Cal-Bodfish Rd.

I propose meeting you guys on Sunday morning at the entrance to Willow Springs raceway (you'll know where that is), at the time of your choice.

From there, west on Rosamond Blvd. to Tehachapi-Willow Springs Rd., over the pass to Tehachapi.

A few back roads around/thru Tehachapi onto Woodford-Tehachapi Rd. This is an awesome curvy road, freshly resurfaced, with a scenic stop at the historic Tehachapi Loop, a railroad engineering marvel from the 1860's. At Keene, onto Hwy-58 for a few miles thru the mountains (my daily commute) to the Caliente turnoff. From Wofford Heights, Hwy-155 to Glennville, and Old Stage Road toward Porterville (see my avatar photo) offer more jewels!

Google Map

Many excellent roads in the area that you owe to yourself to experience. Perhaps MojaveFJR, Cal City FJR and jlhsaa could join in for the ride too.

If interested say so, and I will post this in the Rides forum too.

PM sent. If it isn't going to add 2 hours onto our schedule, I'm up for it.

There's nothing like following a "local" through their backyard!

BUT, why not meet us at the hotel for breakfast?

Best Western Antelope Valley Inn & Conference Center

44055 North Sierra Highway,

Lancaster, CA 93534

(between J St. & K St.)

And while we talking about meeting...

MojaveFJR, this is where we'll be late Friday afternoon if you want to dome down and meet some of the NorCal crazies...er..JB.

Meeting in Elk Grove, Friday morning @ 0830:

flying junior

gfran

mch

MM2

Old Michael

Sacramento Mike

(LastChance is leaving @ 0100 to have his Mayer seat made and will join us in Lancaster)

Meeting Place:

Chevron on Laguna Blvd

(8296 Laguna Blvd per Yellow pages. Google shows 8196?)

East of Hwy 99 on the left side. ( South to Laguna West. At top of the ramp turn L and get into the L lane. Turn L on Laguna Springs, R into Chevron on the corner.)

Easy access, next to a McDonalds, easy freeway on-ramp.

PM sent. If it isn't going to add 2 hours onto our schedule, I'm up for it. There's nothing like following a "local" through their backyard!

BUT, why not meet us at the hotel for breakfast?

Best Western Antelope Valley Inn & Conference Center

44055 North Sierra Highway,

Lancaster, CA 93534

(between J St. & K St.)

And while we talking about meeting...

MojaveFJR, this is where we'll be late Friday afternoon if you want to dome down and meet some of the NorCal crazies...er..JB.

What time frame or do you have any idea of when you are going to get there?

I have drove the Horse Thief Mile in my Evo several times. Not sure I'd care to turn the FJR loose on it though crotch rocket yes. It is a twisty track.

Like I said in another post you guys are MONSTERS riding from up North to do this. The longest I have ever done is from Cal City to Vegas a shade over 200 miles. Not on the FJR mind you but the ZREX.

FWIW I will give you all a weather update Thursday as Willow is just down the way from me, if MojaveFJR doesn't beat me to it.

What time frame or do you have any idea of when you are going to get there?
I have drove the Horse Thief Mile in my Evo several times. Not sure I'd care to turn the FJR loose on it though crotch rocket yes. It is a twisty track.

Like I said in another post you guys are MONSTERS riding from up North to do this. The longest I have ever done is from Cal City to Vegas a shade over 200 miles. Not on the FJR mind you but the ZREX.

FWIW I will give you all a weather update Thursday as Willow is just down the way from me, if MojaveFJR doesn't beat me to it.
I've done it before....about 100 miles on the "school" day.

Monsters? On an FJR? This is what it was made for! One of the group, mch, is coming from Shasta.

The last I checked was Lancaster, forecast was around 80 degrees. And the school provides plenty of water.

2 May just got booked for me fellas. Sorry. Will be making the ride on Sunday however. Will PM madmike2 with my cell if you guys do something after trackday on Sat, like meet up at BJ's for beers and grub. After a day of hauling 700lbs around on the track doubt many of you will bail that evening. Cold beer and some decent food ought to hit the spot real nice.

Let me know. Be good to meet the peeps.

M.

Mike (the Mad one), I can easily make Ripoff at 10:00. What cruising speed are you estimating for that arrival in Lancaster? Also, I stop every hour on the hour. It's in the CBA bylaws.
What's this stop every hour crap, you candy ass pussy?! :nono: I leave Petaluma at 8:00 sweep through Ripon and pick you guys up at 10:00 sharp. Straight through to our one quick pit stop and gas up in Fresno, and then non-stop to Lancaster. Should be at the hotel by 3:00 latest! :D

I know you're eager to make dinner, MM2, but come on, fess up! You really just want to beat the weekend traffic, don't you? ;)
NightShine, do you want to swing by my house tomorrow morning for a latte on our way to Ripoff? Here's a route that's fairly straight from your house that takes us the scenic, twisty back way behind Mt. Diablo that lets us avoid Hwys 680 and 580 (I'm at balloon "G.")

We'd probably have to leave my house between 8:30 and 9AM to get to Ripoff by 10.

Hans

Well today (Thursday) was beautiful. Just a slight breeze and about 70 or so. Yesterday (Wednesday) was horrible. Wind was blowing like crazy in excess of 40 MPH. Took out the power in my area and they didn't get it restored till around 3AM. Hope that stuff doesn't come back for the weekend. I wouldn't want to be you all if it does. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The FJR will handle the Horse Thief Mile with ease. I only scraped a peg once (and I'm a wuss) and that was on the hairpin at the bottom of the hill. Plus, my bike is lowered 3/4". It was quite an honor to be classed among the crotch rockets. Andy did the class with me, and was assigned to the BMW group, with the big tourers. Us 'sport' bike riders were slotted between the HD's and the Wings. Coach has us pull off the road and give the HD's a head start. We waited until the Wings group was almost upon us, then took off in pursuit of the HD's. We caught them up, then did the same thing again each lap.

I can't speak highly enough of the people who run Streetmasters. It is truly a quality operation. The host hotel mixed up something with our room, nothing at all to do with SM, but on seeing that I was upset about it, the PR lady insisted on buying us a round of drinks. Next day, the kid on the gate at the track hadn't got the memo about free parking for SM. The only way we could get in was to pay $20. Again, the PR lady came to the rescue. She refunded cash to everyone who was out, on the spot, then dealt with the kid later.

You guys are going to have a wonderful day, and come away with better skills than you arrived with. We had the pleasure of riding home with two of the coaches, and getting a little extra tuition while having a lot of fun.

Jill

I'm outta here at 23:30 Thursday night.....See you all at the Motel...

LC

I am now back home! Great class!!!! :yahoo: :clapping: Great new BMS seat!!! :dribble: :clapping: Lots of sore, stiff muscles! :blink: :dribble: Over 1,000 miles and lots of times around the track!!

Gotta go recover now!! :blink:

LC

Yep...just walked in the door. What a great weekend!

MojaveFJR (Dave & Kelly) joined us for dinner Saturday evening and STILL came and rtode with us on Sunday morning.... :eek:

BTW...Hit the Road Jack DOES know "Jack" about the back roads up there....WOW!!! :yahoo:

Had a great time. Took a ton of pics. I'll get them together and posted as soon as I can.

Here's a couple. I hope everyone is home safely.

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg