Streetpilot 2820 or bite the bullet and go for a Zumo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided that the TomTom Rider V5 was a better value and bought one, $339 as I recall.

Haven't used it a lot but it has worked flawlessly. Pairs nicely with my Scala G9 and Android Samsung phone.

Follow the instructions when you initialize, download the latest software and you will eliminate 99% of the potential problems

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using a 2820 for several years now with XM for all but the last year. Recently replaced the screen for $27 and still works awesome.

Uploading CNNA 2015.10 to Garmin Streetpilot 2820 for the skeptics.

mapsource20151.jpg

The problem with the Streetpilot is the USB 1.1 version interface...SLOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Zumo is a great deal of money if it is to replace the 27XX or 2830.

If you have the 2830 then the Zumo will not offer much in the way of improvement other than the Bluetooth profiles it can use.

One advantage it does have is the ability to bridge your phone over Bluetooth, and for LD Riders that can be a significant bonus. I run a 2720 and a 765T. The only difference I can find between the 765T and the Zumo 550 is that the Zumo is waterproof and it sends the microphone over Bluetooth. None of the Nuvis will do this. They will bridge the phone in the car, but not through a crash helmet ... I guess if they enabled that feature in the firmware, they would kill the sales of the grossly over-priced Zuno, because Nuvi is cheap and baggies are waterproof :D

For some the Zumo is affordable and the preferred choice. It is the better unit, but the price differential is a major obstacle.

Wingshot, are you using updated maps?
Tom... I need to get on that, yet in my defense my 6 month daughter has diminished greatly my riding and need to update maps as well as available time. However, your post prompted me to get to it so maybe this weekend I will set the laptop and 2820 up and get the updating accomplished.

Currently shopping for a 21st century GPS. I have had a 2730 for a few years and it has worked fine until the last update last fall. Now it misses waypoints and tells me to re-route to pick them up agai,, then it misses the next one and suddenly I have three routes to choose from. After a turn it also is telling me to "Continue on Rt 28 for 11 miles" constantly, sometimes interrupting itself telling me to "Continue on the same route every .1 miles." Last weekend it missed a couple of turns, and my group had to U-turn. Screen is still fairly clear except in the sun, but I don't have any recourse, it has to go. On my computer is also tells me there are no updates available, although I have not tried to 'push' an update. With the limited memory I can only get 1/2 oif the US and eastern Canada anyway.

Looking at the 390LM.

Currently shopping for a 21st century GPS. I have had a 2730 for a few years and it has worked fine until the last update last fall. Now it misses waypoints and tells me to re-route to pick them up agai,, then it misses the next one and suddenly I have three routes to choose from. After a turn it also is telling me to "Continue on Rt 28 for 11 miles" constantly, sometimes interrupting itself telling me to "Continue on the same route every .1 miles." Last weekend it missed a couple of turns, and my group had to U-turn. Screen is still fairly clear except in the sun, but I don't have any recourse, it has to go. On my computer is also tells me there are no updates available, although I have not tried to 'push' an update. With the limited memory I can only get 1/2 oif the US and eastern Canada anyway.
Looking at the 390LM.
There is a method of getting the whole of North America onto the 2720, and presumably the 2830 too. It involves replacing the current image file in the eeprom with a new file you create then loading the rest into the user area.

Google is your friend, there are good instructions out there.

For all my praise for the 2820, it came off the bike today and a new Zumo 590LM is in its place. After the last update for some reason the unit reset, and the bluetooth went out. I double checked I had all the latest firmware and still couldn't get the BT to work with Garmin tech assistance over the phone.

Garmin gave me 20% off on the new GPS and that was a decent enough deal (still damn expensive), but I really get a lot of use out of a GPS. It sure is a nice unit and it was pretty easy to hook up to the helmet audio and mic and phone BT. Smart link gives me options to get traffic, weather and other things.

The 2820 is going to ebay, and I have an XM30 radio puck that seems to have an unkilled subscription for music. So I need to figure out if that is worth something.