Stupid Question Of The Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the thing right off for my 05, and finally got around to installing it with the stock map about 3 months later. I'm not all that much of a wrencher, but I found it trivial to install.

For me, with the stock map, I didn't see much difference at all. No big change in heat (my bike runs a bit hot, but not too bad), no big change in smoothness or surging, and no big change in gas mileage.

BTW, I also run with a K&N air filter, but stock pipes.

So, lazy-ass me finally gets around to installing the smoothness map about a month ago (I had intended to all along, but was just too lazy to get the notebook down to the bike in a powered on state with the seat off and the USB connecter).

What a difference!!!! I experienced radical smoothing all the way up to 4500 RPMs. Silky smooth shifts, and very comfortable to toot around even as low as 2500 RPMs. I also noticed a "slight" drop in heat -- very slight. I haven't really seen a change to the MPG, but it could be that I'm not in the higher RPMs as much now.

But, it did introduce quite a buzz in the 5000-6000 RPM range. I'm sure this could be tuned out, but refer to my laziness above. I can live with the buzz, so I'm happy.

For me, it was worth the price tag.

Cheers, Kent