Stupid Tank Bag Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
I just bought a Bagster Medea tankbag. I picked this particular bag beause I need lots of room for an upcoming cross-country trip and this bag is much bigger than the "city" bag I had before. It also utilizes the handy clip in system available with the bagster bra.

BUT, I think it's too big for the bike. The handlebars bang into the bag on tight turns (parking lot stuff). Is this typical for a large bag? If I were to replace it with something that fit better, would is recommended as the BEST? I like Marsee bags, but haven't tried the larger ones. Do magnetics work through a bra? Should I use the harness type?

Suggestions?

A lot of bigger bags (even my Joe Rocket bag) does contact the controls at full lock. It's no big deal but it does sometimes turn my hazzards on in some parking lots. It's magnetic though so I can slide it around or move it backwards.

As for a magnetic bag through the bagster? I have no idea but would doubt it.

I've considered the bagster setup, as what I'll probably go with next. However, I think, don't know, that the bagster clip things pretty much lock your bag into one position don't they?

I'd like to see pics of what you ended up with.

-MD

Last edited by a moderator:
Move the bag back as far towards you as possible. That is going to allow the bars to go "full lock". I recently bought a large bag myself. Had to experiment but a buddy of mine told me about moving the bag back towads me as far as humanly possible. Tried it and it works. It might look a little goofy because it sits at an angle on the tank but worth the goofy look. It worked.

Now, I don't know if the Bagster setup will allow you to do that... but that is what probably needs to be done to alleviate what you're talking about. My magnetic can be moved all over. My first trip with it I had to stop twice on the side of the road to adjust it because it was in the way in the twisties.

It also gives you a nice place to lean after those long tour days.

Heidi

I recently bought a Nelsen Rigg large magnetic tank bag that I have decided not to use on FJR because of the same problem. Moving it all the way back (aside from looking bizarre) just didn't feel right to me. I didnt want to take the chance with the bars hitting like that because of maneuvering that I sometimes have to do on ferries. What's funny is that it works fine on my VFR. I'm not really sure how the handlebars are adjusted on the FJR as I find them to be comfortable the way I bought it so I haven't even experimented moving them around.

I bought and use the T-Bags magnetic tank bag and it has served my purpose real well (including this trip (writing this reply from Mason Texas in the town square)):

T-Bags Magnetic Tankbag

Best Regards,

Shane

I experimented with some magnets and a magnetic bag is out. The bra mutes it too much. Any experience with the larger Marsee bags?

Where are you headed. I'm leaving the Atlanta area and heading out west the first week of September. Headed the same way?

Where are you headed. I'm leaving the Atlanta area and heading out west the first week of September. Headed the same way?

Leaving sept 1 from NJ, heading up to niagra falls then across to MI and the upper peninsula to highway 2 across minn n dakoda...

I have a Tour Master/Cortech tri-bag (strap mount) also. It worked great on my CBR600F4, but on the FJR ('07) the bars hit it and sliding back isn't a good option as there is a severe slope on the FJR tank. Also, the strap mount under the rider seat takes creativity (the CBR had a perfect tank bracket). This tank bag is essentially brand new and now I guess I'm going to sell it. My wife says I don't need it because I now have the hard luggage. I need a place to haul my notebook CPU back/forth to work occasionally - the tank bag was perfect.... What do other's use to haul their notebooks?