Super happy with Penske 8983

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
And not just because of the dampening. Having a spring that holds up the bike and adding a little ride heights by lengthening it a few mm's makes a HUGE difference. I was worried my Larry's pegs we going to touch down too easily but after putting the Penske on they aren't going nowhere. The bike steers so well now, very neutral. They are expensive, but I got mine for $869 shipped with a shock sock from Traxxion. Probably the best thing I've done to the bike.

Welcome to the world of a decent suspension. Non-believers just don't want to spend the money and have no idea what they are missing.

Yep I understand how you feel. It is a great shock.

I agree people do not want to spend on new suspension on a new bike but the felt difference is night and day.

Every car and bike I have ever owned I have upgraded suspension, tires/wheels/brakes to improve where most OEMS short cut a bit.

2200 for the Hyper Pro stuff on my 05 K 1200 LT!

To ring what this bike brings to the table, I think suspension is a must. I went with the Penskey and new front springs and spring buffers and oil, all from Traxxion. Wow what a difference.

I am a little bit bigger at 214 lbs (all "mussel") and had read the FJR is set for a 175 lb rider so I know I needed to do something going in. Next year I will finish the fronts with the AK setup from Traxxion.

Enjoy my friend it is nice for sure.

When I got my Penske it just made me realize how harsh and unsteady the stock front suspension is. Now, I have to fix that. Damn you Roger Penske!

^ I'd be curious to know how much springs and oil might help. I'd love to do the Axxion kit but I gots no money left

I've put a Penske in my Blackbird, F4 Trackbike, and an Ohlins in a 929 but I've never noticed such a difference before. Really nice stuff. What's the longest I'd want to go without servicing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little bit bigger at 214 lbs (all "mussel") and had read the FJR is set for a 175 lb rider so I know I needed to do something going in. Next year I will finish the fronts with the AK setup from Traxxion.
I'm only 175 lbs and unfortunately it ain't all muscle. And the stock suspension still ain't cutting it.

Congrats. Same shock I use on my race bike. I like the ride hgt. adjustability feature as well. When I changed from an older Fox to the Penske, my lap time dropped by 1/2 a sec. immediately. In a few race weekends, my lap times dropped by almost 2 seconds as my confidence grew with the new shock! You could say I appreciate quality suspension.

I'm hoping Santa gives me one of these for Christmas
angel.gif

Just a question how hard is it to adjust the preload ,dose it have a remote preload ? or do you have to fight with a c spanner to adjust it ?

Congrats on the Penske! It's never too late to put new suspenders on the scoot!

Just a question how hard is it to adjust the preload ,dose it have a remote preload ? or do you have to fight with a c spanner to adjust it ?
No hydraulic preload on the shock. Making the preload adjustment on my '09 isn't a big deal. Loosen the collar set screw(s) and use the included spanner like tool to add as much as needed.

--G

If I changed the pre-load everytime I rode I'd have probably get annoyed. It's easy to do, but a bit of a pain for something that is extremely simple on shocks with a remote preload. I don't even use the collar set screws.

Congrats on the new shock, yer gonna love it!

I'm at 225lbs. Putting the Penske on my gen1 pointed up what a raggedy POS the stock shock was. Not only undersprung but very little damping. The Penske really transformed the bike. A large part of that improvement is a spring that holds the ass end up where it belongs. The AK20's, springs, etc didn't hurt either. IMHO, a spring upgrade and oil change in the forks would be a nice and fairly inexpensive compliment to the Penske.

AFA adjusting preload, removal of the stock preload adjuster gives decent access to the preload collar on the Penske. It's definitely not as convenient as a remote adjuster but not bad using the supplied tool. Piece of cake compared to my trusty FZ1. I don't use the set screw and have marked the adjuster, so far have detected no movement. If I was a preload frequent flyer a remote would be handy but I find adjustment isn't needed very often for my purposes.

Yep, I agree; I took advantage of the group buy at KFG, for both the front forks & the Penske, and feel like I've got a brand new bike!

Congrats on the new shock, yer gonna love it!I'm at 225lbs. Putting the Penske on my gen1 pointed up what a raggedy POS the stock shock was. Not only undersprung but very little damping. The Penske really transformed the bike. A large part of that improvement is a spring that holds the ass end up where it belongs. The AK20's, springs, etc didn't hurt either. IMHO, a spring upgrade and oil change in the forks would be a nice and fairly inexpensive compliment to the Penske.

AFA adjusting preload, removal of the stock preload adjuster gives decent access to the preload collar on the Penske. It's definitely not as convenient as a remote adjuster but not bad using the supplied tool. Piece of cake compared to my trusty FZ1. I don't use the set screw and have marked the adjuster, so far have detected no movement. If I was a preload frequent flyer a remote would be handy but I find adjustment isn't needed very often for my purposes.
It is, but I'm left wondering what, if anything, extra I could get with new valves. Any measurable difference?

Congrats on the new shock, yer gonna love it!I'm at 225lbs. Putting the Penske on my gen1 pointed up what a raggedy POS the stock shock was. Not only undersprung but very little damping. The Penske really transformed the bike. A large part of that improvement is a spring that holds the ass end up where it belongs. The AK20's, springs, etc didn't hurt either. IMHO, a spring upgrade and oil change in the forks would be a nice and fairly inexpensive compliment to the Penske.

It is, but I'm left wondering what, if anything, extra I could get with new valves. Any measurable difference?
YES!

YES!
YES, YES! Gold Valves good !
nyam.gif

YES!
YES, YES! Gold Valves good !
nyam.gif
I don't have experience with just a spring and oil upgrade on the FJR so I really can't tell you if there is a measurable, or discernable difference. I will say the undersprung stock fork felt vague and kind of flopped around down there. Just riding out of my driveway over the rolled curb at low speed resulted in a dented header
angry01.gif
The new springing and valving produce a taut and controlled ride. I guess the thing I notice most is feedback from the front wheel. Nothing vague going on, That tire stays in contact with the road. This 'ol barge is now almost, but not quite as nimble as my Traxxion modded FZ1. Me likey!
grin.gif