Super happy with Penske 8983

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And not just because of the dampening. Having a spring that holds up the bike and adding a little ride heights by lengthening it a few mm's makes a HUGE difference. I was worried my Larry's pegs we going to touch down too easily but after putting the Penske on they aren't going nowhere. The bike steers so well now, very neutral. They are expensive, but I got mine for $869 shipped with a shock sock from Traxxion. Probably the best thing I've done to the bike.
I am really looking forward to trying out my new Penske as well once the snow clears. I hope that I notice an equal improvement. After 60,000 miles, my stock rear shock was just starting to become family.......after respectfully saying my goodbyes, I threw it in the metal scrap pile behind my shed.

Remember to measure the rear wheel's distance to the ground before and after you install the new shock. I'd start with +3-5mm of ride height and see how you like it. It doesn't take much if you are getting a stiffer spring too.

Last edited by a moderator: