SW-FOG 2010 in Taos, New Mexico; September 16-19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.cabq.gov/airport/ground-transportation I wanted to stress the fact that SW-FOG 2010 is going to be a great celebration for bringing your significant other with you to enjoy the festivities. My Lady Friend Rena lives in Houston and my plan is for her to fly into Albuquerque International Sunport Airport. I plan on her taking a shuttle to Santa Fe and I would pick her up there on my FJR for the scenic ride up to Taos. When SW-FOG is over on Sunday, Rena would take the return shuttle directly to Sunport Airport while I lead a short morning ride. The shopping for ladies in Taos is phenomenal.
So, if you are having to haul ass long distances to get to SW-FOG, you may want to consider riding solo allowing you to burn off those 750 mile days; which will allow your wife, girlfriend or SO the option of jumping a jet to/from SW-FOG 2010.

Jewelry, tapestry, clothing, artwork, prints, paintings, sculptures: Taos has it all, when it comes to being an artist's colony!!
And this ain't far away either. ;)
Outstanding point, pinhead! Significant others might enjoy a day at Ojo Caliente Spa; perhaps Skooty and Adam may soak!

https://www.cabq.gov/airport/ground-transportation I wanted to stress the fact that SW-FOG 2010 is going to be a great celebration for bringing your significant other with you to enjoy the festivities. My Lady Friend Rena lives in Houston and my plan is for her to fly into Albuquerque International Sunport Airport. I plan on her taking a shuttle to Santa Fe and I would pick her up there on my FJR for the scenic ride up to Taos. When SW-FOG is over on Sunday, Rena would take the return shuttle directly to Sunport Airport while I lead a short morning ride. The shopping for ladies in Taos is phenomenal.
So, if you are having to haul ass long distances to get to SW-FOG, you may want to consider riding solo allowing you to burn off those 750 mile days; which will allow your wife, girlfriend or SO the option of jumping a jet to/from SW-FOG 2010.

Jewelry, tapestry, clothing, artwork, prints, paintings, sculptures: Taos has it all, when it comes to being an artist's colony!!
Just so you know Don; Carrie was talking about possibly driving up and then going on the rides. Your female friend could always hook up with her and they could drive up and back to the airport together. It would save her having to take a shuttle, let the women pack however they want, and save you a trip...It's an idea anyway. Carrie is kinda stoked that it will be so close.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just so you know Don; Carrie was talking about possibly driving up and then going on the rides. Your female friend could always hook up with her and they could drive up and back to the airport together. It would save her having to take a shuttle, let the women pack however they want, and save you a trip...It's an idea anyway. Carrie is kinda stoked that it will be so close.
Thanks for the kind offer, Carrie and AJ! I will let Rena know this. I am getting a lot of positive feedback regarding Taos being the selection for SW-FOG 2010. I think its location is working out well for a large number of our FJR Forum members!!

Just for grins and giggles, I went to my Rand McNally North American Road Atlas and came up with the following mileages:

Less than 1,500 miles, a easy 2 day ride to Taos: Atlanta, Billings, Chicago, Cincinnati, Des Moines, East Troy, Indianapolis, Jackson, Louisville, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Montgomery, Nashville, Portland, Reno, St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, and Spokane. OCfjr-Eric and rest of those Portland "whack jobs" will easily ride this route in 24 hours!!

Here are the US Cities less than an IBA Bun Burner 1000 and greater than only 500 miles to Taos: Boise, Cheyenne, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Little Rock, Los Angeles, Mount Rushmore, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, Wichita and Yellowstone. As an example, Fairlaner is only 798 miles away from Taos: That is only 3 packs of cigarettes required for Richard to ride that distance, even though I would advise Mr. Hall to carry a 4th pack!

i will only need 4 packs if I am in the car.........

But as previously stated I believe i will be at NAFO that weekend (unless Jason changes the date)

R

i will only need 4 packs if I am in the car.........
But as previously stated I believe i will be at NAFO that weekend (unless Jason changes the date)

R
Richard, could you please post a link to the NAFO dates? I obviously haven't done a good search job, I can't find those dates.

Well, unless the location and date of the 2010 NAFO is a big secret, it appears that the powers in charge of making these decisions (EOM), have not yet reached the point of making that decision.

So as far as going ahead with the dates of September 16 - September 19, 2010 for the SW-FOG, we will stick to these dates. Many people that may want to attend need to "put-in", "apply", "request" or "sign up" for their vacation period during an "open season" or "bidding cycle" therefore, need some form of commitment dates so they can take care of any employer requirements. They may not have weeks or months to wait while decisions are in limbo and not being made.

Should the EOM decide to select the same dates we have chosen for the SW-FOG, we will deal with that if and when it happens. I would like to think they would not do that, but we'll see what happens. Because we have 11 months to get things arranged, taking care of business early will enable better accommodations and a savings of money for those wanting to attend, not to mention saving money for the trip if so required. Having an economy this bad and the possibility of it becoming worse only serves to get the ball rolling earlier, rather than later to better allow for members to prepare and make arrangements to attend.

So unless the members want something changed, the dates listed in the first post stand!

Miho, Taos is only just over an hour from Abiquiu, and the ranch and museum where that American treasure, my Auntie Georgia O'Keeffe, spent her final years changing the world's ideas about women and art. I understand it to be a magical placeand likely worth a side trip. By itself, it should be reason enough to make this gathering.

...Plus, I'm guessing there'll be beer.

OKeeffeRoadPasttheRanch.jpg
What were the ideas about women changed to, you can't live with them and you can't shoot them?

It's hard to beat the taste of fresh roasted green chilies. With the SW-FOG being in September, it should coincide with the second harvest of green chilies from Hatch, which is supposed to be the best and has a tendency to be a hotter Chili. Hell, sounds like this ride could turn out to be not only in a beautiful location, but possibly be able to quench the appetite of the Los Robustos. Green Chile burgers, bake potato, green chili soup or stew, green chili stew covering a medium rare steak. Makes me hungry just thinking about it. Green Chili makes everything taste better. Lots of great restaurants everywhere in New Mexico.

[SIZE=10pt]It's hard to beat the taste of fresh roasted green chilies[/SIZE]. With the SW-FOG being in September, it should coincide with the second harvest of green chilies from Hatch, which is supposed to be the best and has a tendency to be a hotter Chili. Hell, sounds like this ride could turn out to be not only in a beautiful location, but possibly be able to quench the appetite of the Los Robustos. Green Chile burgers, bake potato, green chili soup or stew, green chili stew covering a medium rare steak. Makes me hungry just thinking about it. Green Chili makes everything taste better. Lots of great restaurants everywhere in New Mexico.
I am ALL in for this one. Hatch is on my way up, but Deming actually has more chile. And I can get it from some of my customers for free. Maybe I could strap on a cooler, roast some HOT green chile and head for Taos on Thursday.

Also, back when I had my Harley, I went to the Red River Rally held in May. We ate breakfast at some restaurant in Taos that was really good and REALLY packed. Can't remember the name, but I can find it when I'm there. They have a huge selection of bakery items made fresh that day. We need to put that on the schedule for one of the mornings. or maybe dinner on Friday. Maybe I can get up there next spring and make the arrangements.

:yahoo: ROAD TRIP! :yahoo:

DK

...Plus, I'm guessing there'll be beer.
Green chile beer. Mmmmmmmm.
OMG, I stumbled across this stuff while eating at Eske's Brewery when I was there in September....ironically on my birthday then too.

I'd ride down there for that alone. tasty stuff that green chile beer.
Hombres, I have lived in the Southwestern US most of my life and for whatever reason I have never tried green chile beer!

Definitely must give this a try at SW-FOG 2010 in Taos, should go perfectly with mi mezcal, easier to wash that worm down!

Hombres, I have lived in the Southwestern US most of my life and for whatever reason I have never tried green chile beer!
Definitely must give this a try at SW-FOG 2010 in Taos, should go perfectly with mi mezcal, easier to wash that worm down!
The only place I've ever seen it offered is Eske's. They might have had it at 'Pizza Out Back', a mom-n-pop pie joint on the north end of town, but it's not a locally distributed brew. I looked for it at other Taos establishments and had no luck, so I had to eat at Eske's a few times. :rolleyes:

A group function there would be pretty sweet but the place is literally a house-turned-restuarant so there's only like 10(?) tables inside and a few more on the side patio(backyard). We'd prpbably dominate the place pretty easily en masse. Would wanna call ahead if that shaped up.

The only place I've ever seen it offered is Eske's. They might have had it at 'Pizza Out Back', a mom-n-pop pie joint on the north end of town, but it's not a locally distributed brew. I looked for it at other Taos establishments and had no luck, so I had to eat at Eske's a few times. :rolleyes:

A group function there would be pretty sweet but the place is literally a house-turned-restuarant so there's only like 10(?) tables inside and a few more on the side patio(backyard). We'd prpbably dominate the place pretty easily en masse. Would wanna call ahead if that shaped up.
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=1927.15 Wanderer, definitely need to try Eske's to have green chile beer!

I am creature of habit, whenever Son Seth (13) and I go to Taos we always eat at Orlando's; North of Town, West Side Hwy!

I went to Taos 2 years ago with the Honda ST.Owners group and the food was great, there is a place south of Taos on one of the routes "Ocean Fire and Ice" that has killer pancakes. there is also a great wine shop in the little plaza in Taos, they can have a case of wine shipped back home for you.

The 2009 SW-FOG held in Page, Arizona was a great success. Everyone that commented gave very positive feedback concerning how organized it was, the rides that were planned, the amount of friends (both old and new) came from so many different locations and the overall accommodations.

The success was possible because of the efforts put into it by Badcat (Burk) for doing the organizing and BeemerDonS for figuring the best possible ride to take each day.

There is no reason why the 2010 SW-FOG can't be as good or even better.

We ate breakfast at some restaurant in Taos that was really good and REALLY packed. Can't remember the name, but I can find it when I'm there. They have a huge selection of bakery items made fresh that day. We need to put that on the schedule for one of the mornings. or maybe dinner on Friday. Maybe I can get up there next spring and make the arrangements. :yahoo: ROAD TRIP! :yahoo:

DK
My guess is that you were at Michael's Kitchen. I think it's the best breakfast place in Taos and it's only a block or two from the hotel.