SW-FOG 2010 in Taos, New Mexico; September 16-19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOOT WOOT, this is great I am moving to New Mexico in Jan 2010. I have been in Alaska for 6 years and had my FJR for two years looks like SW-FOG will be my first Rally. Especially with my new job where time off is at a premium. Super excited now I just need to enlist the mother in law to come watch the little ones so I can bring the better half.
Where in NM are you landing?
Alamogordo NM, Holloman AFB

WOOT WOOT, this is great I am moving to New Mexico in Jan 2010. I have been in Alaska for 6 years and had my FJR for two years looks like SW-FOG will be my first Rally. Especially with my new job where time off is at a premium. Super excited now I just need to enlist the mother in law to come watch the little ones so I can bring the better half.
Where in NM are you landing?
Alamogordo NM, Holloman AFB
Oh man. You are a grueling 10 minutes away from some great twisty mountain roads that I have to ride 2+ hrs to get to. We went there once this summer. So when it warms up a bit in the mountains we will be over there again.

I have a cousin stationed there too.

Later,

Dk

To cheer up all of you unfortunate Northerners who must contend with ice, cold, snow and other wet stuff that falls from the sky (we Zonies can never remember the name of that shit) I wanted to share HotRodZilla's latest armadillo cooking recipe.

Seth and I just received our annual Christmas Card from HRZ y La Familia en Albuquerque, New Mexico. Senor AJ is one of the greatest Armadillo Chefs in the Southwest and he always shares a new recipe of his in his Christmas Cards. Enjoy! Suerte!

"HotRodZilla's Mexican Armadillo Casserole

~ 1 lb ground armadillo

~ 1 medium onion, chopped

~ 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro

~ 1 tsp cumin

~ 2 tbsp ground chili pepper

~ 2 cans diced green chilies

~ 1 can diced tomatoes

~ 1 can corn, drained

~ 1 cup diced zucchini

~ 2 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese

~ 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

In a skillet, add the meat, onions and cilantro. Season with the cumin and chili pepper. Cook until brown. Drain fat if any.

Stir in the green chilies, tomatoes, corn and zucchini.

Pour into a casserole dish. Sprinkle on the cheese.

Prepare cornbread batter according to package. Pour over top of cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.

Serve and enjoy."

POSTCRIPT: Hopefully, HotRodZilla will prepare this for us at SW-FOG. Plan on attending this incredible FJR event 9/16/10!

FOOTNOTE: It'd be best if you don't ask HRZ what he does with the armadillos just before butchering them. I'm Just Saying!

Last edited by a moderator:
To cheer up all of you unfortunate Northerners who must contend with ice, cold, snow and other wet stuff that falls from the sky (we Zonies can never remember the name of that shit) I wanted to share HotRodZilla's latest armadillo cooking recipe.
Seth and I just received our annual Christmas Card from HRZ y La Familia en Albuquerque, New Mexico. Senor AJ is one of the greatest Armadillo Chefs in the Southwest and he always shares a new recipe of his in his Christmas Cards. Enjoy! Suerte!

"HotRodZilla's Mexican Armadillo Casserole

~ 1 lb ground armadillo

~ 1 medium onion, chopped

~ 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro

~ 1 tsp cumin

~ 2 tbsp ground chili pepper

~ 2 cans diced green chilies

~ 1 can diced tomatoes

~ 1 can corn, drained

~ 1 cup diced zucchini

~ 2 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese

~ 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

In a skillet, add the meat, onions and cilantro. Season with the cumin and chili pepper. Cook until brown. Drain fat if any.

Stir in the green chilies, tomatoes, corn and zucchini.

Pour into a casserole dish. Sprinkle on the cheese.

Prepare cornbread batter according to package. Pour over top of cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.

Serve and enjoy."

POSTCRIPT: Hopefully, HotRodZilla will prepare this for us at SW-FOG. Plan on attending this incredible FJR event 9/16/10!

FOOTNOTE: It'd be best if you don't ask HRZ what he does with the armadillos just before butchering them. I'm Just Saying!
WTF??? I gave you that receipe in confidence. I bet if you substituted armadillo meat for sheep, Bust would cry.

Discovered you can get your very best rate for Best Western Kachina Lodge by joining their Best Western Gold Club Card.

But when you book, also mention you're attending the SW-FOG 2010. We may be able to get even better rates this way! Re:

https://goldcrownclub.bestwestern.com/h-driderewards/ Seth and I are already tent reservation booked with Ted at https://www.sherpamayberry.com for Annual BMWMOA International Rally in Redmond, Oregon for July 15-18, 2010. But we found that Best Western has a great discount through their Gold Club Membership.

Tell them that you own a Harley-Davidson, even if you do not, and you will receive a better room rate discount than you can with either American Automobile Association or with AARP. H-D is subsidizing rates.

Discovered you can get your very best rate for Best Western Kachina Lodge by joining their Best Western Gold Club Card.
But when you book, also mention you're attending the SW-FOG 2010. We may be able to get even better rates this way! Re:

https://goldcrownclub.bestwestern.com/h-driderewards/ Seth and I are already tent reservation booked with Ted at https://www.sherpamayberry.com for Annual BMWMOA International Rally in Redmond, Oregon for July 15-18, 2010. But we found that Best Western has a great discount through their Gold Club Membership.

Tell them that you own a Harley-Davidson, even if you do not, and you will receive a better room rate discount than you can with either American Automobile Association or with AARP. H-D is subsidizing rates.
Thanks, that is some great information. :clapping:

https://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa98oct/Balloon/balloon.htm I have received a number of inquiries regarding hot air balloon flights during SW-FOG 2010 September 16-19 in Taos, NM. Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado in mid September are perfect for hot air balloning: Dry without a hint of rain, warm breezes and the Rio Grande Gorge to fly over.

https://www.puebloballoon.com https://www.taosballooning.com/ Many other Balloon Companies take you floating over Taos.

Nice thing about hot air ballooning, is the day starts at 5am. You can go ballooning and still join your friends on the day rides.

Don, don't some of them let you bungie jump out of the balloon? 'Cause I'd pay to see you do that.
I can't quite picture that....

That may be akin to watching your grandparent have sex. :blink: :glare: :blink:
Senor Dirk K: Are you riding your new red BMW R1200GS Adventurer to Death Valley Daze? Did your new Beemer come with knobbies or are you having to add Continental TKC80's or Dunlop D606's? dcarver will be there on his Suzuki 650 V-Strom (TwoWheelNut's old off roader) and a half dozen AZ Beemer Club Members will be there on GS's. Great DVD offroad riding!

Don, don't some of them let you bungie jump out of the balloon? 'Cause I'd pay to see you do that.
I can't quite picture that....

That may be akin to watching your grandparent have (did I say that out loud.) :blink: :glare: :blink:
Senor Dirk K: Are you riding your new red BMW R1200GS Adventurer to Death Valley Daze? Did your new Beemer come with knobbies or are you having to add Continental TKC80's or Dunlop D606's? dcarver will be there on his Suzuki 650 V-Strom (TwoWheelNut's old off roader) and a half dozen AZ Beemer Club Members will be there on GS's. Great DVD offroad riding!

Yes. I will be riding the GS. I wanted to get it in time for this event and ride some of the dirt roads and see the really cool stuff in Death Valley.

Having lived in the area, this is a ride I'd have to take my wife on. Or, face the not so pleasant consequences.

I've got it marked on "our" calendar.

Our lodging for this event will be Best Western Kachina Lodge, this hotel is right downtown and we can walk to the cantinas!
Besides being Rally Master, I'm also your Ride Master; and do I ever have 2 outstanding days of New Mexico riding planned!

Friday: Taos to Tres Piedras to Tierra Amarilla to Chama to Antonito to San Luis to Questa. Mas caminos y mas amigos ese!

Saturday: Taos to Red River to Eagle Nest to Mora to Penasco to Chimayo to Espanola to Taos. This's The Enchanted Circle!
This little ride sounds enticing. My little MsNASCAR is considering it too.

Right now, it is a toss up between flying to Alaska and romp around Denali for a week or this.

It would be a great photo op either way.

Hmmmmm.

:unsure: :unsure:

Santa Fe Dreamin' & pegscraper: SW-FOG 2010 is a PERFECT event for couples, if you've a significant other, I highly recommend you bring your SO to our FJR get together. There are tons of things for ladies to do in Taos; it's renowned for its arts, crafts and cuisine. If your lady doesn't want to endure desert heat riding to Taos, they can fly into Sun Port airport in Albuquerque and take a shuttle to either Santa Fe or Taos. This is what my lady friend Rena is doing, flying in from Texas.

Santa Fe Dreamin' & pegscraper: SW-FOG 2010 is a PERFECT event for couples, if you've a significant other, I highly recommend you bring your SO to our FJR get together. There are tons of things for ladies to do in Taos; it's renowned for its arts, crafts and cuisine. If your lady doesn't want to endure desert heat riding to Taos, they can fly into Sun Port airport in Albuquerque and take a shuttle to either Santa Fe or Taos. This is what my lady friend Rena is doing, flying in from Texas.
Thank you for suggesting the flight to Albuquerque for the more demure kind of women in the crowd but MsNASCAR said you don't know her very well. For the folks who have had the pleasure, can vouch for her endurance on the back of the feejer. We've endured some of the most extreme riding conditions. We organized the first 2 WFOs and made it to all the others, except WFO6 when I had surgery, NAFO and CFO-2009. We've stayed at the Casa de Benavides, Taos a few nights in 2000 so we know the area. We've visited various pueblos between Taos and Albuquerque for the fine arts. We have always been drawn the S.W. for the culture (Gathering of the Nations, twice), cusine, arts but especially the beauty of the painted desert.

If we were to attend, I have already plotted out some the best roads, to and from the event.

Decisions, decisions. :unsure: :unsure:

Man, this sounds like a lot of fun - I was through that area 2 years ago in September and it was great! 64 from Tres Piedras to 162 is one of my all time favorites....

September is a long ways off, but if I start scheming now... maybe....

I'll know more in a few weeks, but I plan to make this (my first) event.
Thanks for the efforts all!
ScottyUSN: Welcome aboard! When August gets here, send private message to petey here on our FJR Forum. petey knows all the Oklahoma guys going to SW-FOG!

I'll know more in a few weeks, but I plan to make this (my first) event.
Thanks for the efforts all!
ScottyUSN: Welcome aboard! When August gets here, send private message to petey here on our FJR Forum. petey knows all the Oklahoma guys going to SW-FOG!
Yes ScottyUSN, if you'd like to hook up for the ride out to SW-FOG, that would be great. Also, you could make your first FJR get together in May for SFO in Eureka Sprs. :yahoo: