Tag-Along Aux Fuel Tank (joe2lmaker)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems that some air space is a good thing. If you could use all the volume then on a hot day with a full fuel cell the expansion would have fuel on the ground in a hurry. I looked at it as a good thing when I built mine. Like has been said if you run out because you needed that last few oz. of fuel whos fault is it.

Either way it sure is a great looking set up.

It seems that some air space is a good thing.
That's why I didn't worry about the airpocket here:

DSC05212_marked%20up.JPG

Even so, I was able to put 4.77 to 4.78 gallons in it.

Well, I'm releived.

Is this the split ring you all are talking about?

DSC05085.jpg

That's why I didn't worry about the airpocket here:

DSC05212_marked%20up.JPG

Even so, I was able to put 4.77 to 4.78 gallons in it.

Well, I'm releived.
It doesn't trap any air, at least not when using a Kali-equipped fuel nozzle..

Is this the split ring you all are talking about?
Nope. The 45° filler neck has a split ring with bolts welded to it. I've never seen one, I'm just passing this info along from JAZ.

It doesn't trap any air, at least not when using a Kali-equipped fuel nozzle..
You wouldn't see it. The bubble would be here:

Volume_2010Jan11_marked-up1.JPG

Joe, not sure that void, or air space would provide any appreciable benefit since it has no path to cell venting.

Joe, not sure that void, or air space would provide any appreciable benefit since it has no path to cell venting.
First, I'm not trying to highlight it as a feature.

On the other hand, I didn't bother to get rid of it either. It just sorta ended up in there as I tried to minimize the stresses on the welds in that area.

I included it in the volume calculations, and it didn't seem to affect anything when I weighted the volume.

This:

got me thinking ... (and that's where the trouble started) ... a gas can compress right? So, what would happen to that little bubble with no where to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I'm not trying to highlight it as a feature.

On the other hand, I didn't bother to get rid of it either. It just sorta ended up in there as I tried to minimize the stresses on the welds in that area.

I included it in the volume calculations, and it didn't seem to affect anything when I weighted the volume.

This:

got me thinking ... (and that's where the trouble started) ... a gas can compress right? So, what would happen to that little bubble with no where to go?
hindenburg1.jpg

Air bubbles in a liquid will compress given enough pressure.
Planning to take yours on a dive? ;)
Now THAT'S funny! :lol:
Although a valve on the vent line, to isolate, and a small pressurizer bulb (think blood pressure cuff) might be just enough to make a *fast* xnfr between aux and main..

And I was looking at the neighbors quad last night... it has a fuel level gauge that is visible from the topside.. It appears to be a hole in the top of the tank, with a purely mechanical actuation that drives the needle indicating fullness. I'd be all over something like this, will research later.

Air bubbles in a liquid will compress given enough pressure.
Planning to take yours on a dive? ;)
Now THAT'S funny! :lol:
Although a valve on the vent line, to isolate, and a small pressurizer bulb (think blood pressure cuff) might be just enough to make a *fast* xnfr between aux and main..

And I was looking at the neighbors quad last night... it has a fuel level gauge that is visible from the topside.. It appears to be a hole in the top of the tank, with a purely mechanical actuation that drives the needle indicating fullness. I'd be all over something like this, will research later.

Great find Don!

I'm not sure it would be practical for my particular use, but I'm sure someone can appreciate the ability to see at glance what the aux tank's fuel level is without undoing the fill cap.

The Hello Kitty patches arrived Saturday. I'll send them to Linda once we're ready to order the covers.

So I've been prototyping a pressurized TAT system to force aux fuel to the main tank. I just put it together tonight, in true 'use what you got' fashion.. and tested. I completely drained the TAT to main tank in 16 minutes with the main tank fuel cap closed. I'll post more after I test it mananna in the real world.

This needed to be done by 8:30 AM Thursday morning.

I didn't have it done. It cost me a trip to Florida.

Here is S/N 2, finished, finally:

IMG_0127.JPG

See that little "S" curve in the copper tubing? Don pointed out that the prototypes are a little difficult to plumb. "I've got a solution for that. I'm a toolmaker after all", said the loud, proud voice in my head.

Here are the first attempts at that solution:

IMG_0115.JPG

My faithful tubing bender couldn't quite make the sharp bends necessary. "I've got a solution for that. I'm a toolmaker after all", said the loud, proud voice in my head.

I worked out the dimensions and figured out what size rollers would work.

figuring%20out%20rollers.jpg

It looks complicated. But, "I've got a solution for that. I'm a toolmaker after all", said the loud, proud voice in my head.

IMG_0121.JPG

Here it is:

IMG_0129.JPG
[SIZE=14pt]- -[/SIZE]
IMG_0130.JPG

"Thank God it's finished", said a quieter, humbler voice in my head.