Tail Bag option for solo riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! Great write up! I have been thinking about a smuggler, but I like this idea even more, sine it looks like there is more room, and the soft bag will form to odd shapes a little bit better than the smuggler. Thanks for passing along the information.

Bunker,

Do you have any electronics mounted under the passenger seat and if so how did you deal with them when mounting the bag? My Starcom is mounted under there now and I would be concerned about the possibility of it getting wet with the Nelsen-Rigg mounted in that fashion.

Aw crap! Will you guys please stop finding farkles! BoA called last night and froze my Visa due to fraudulent activity and now I gotta break out another piece of plastic to buy this! Dammit! Stop this insanity train and let me get off!

Last edited by a moderator:
Axeman,

I don't have any electronics under the seat for experience… there should be adequate room for it but not a lot. For a more watertight setup, you might slip a piece of foam pipe insulation (the kind with a slit running lengthwise) over each side of the bodywork that is exposed when the seat is removed, or possibly use some closed-cell foam weatherstripping around the bodywork edges before mounting the tailbag. Or you might just place the electronics in a heavy-duty plastic bag with a zip tie around the wires for moisture protection.

FJrider1,

the CL-150 is similar to the CL-100 but has the side pockets. The overall dimensions are supposedly the same, but with a 1" increase in width on each side due to the side pockets. I considered that bag but was concerned that the side pockets would rub on the handrail or interfere with a good fit. It might work, but I suspect you'd at least want to put some protective tape on the handrail where the side ears would likely touch. The CL-200 would likely fit as well, being basically just a taller version of the same bag, but then appearance is compromised and throwing a leg over it might be a challenge.

Very creative and nicely done. My only concern would be that of security. Looks as if you'd have to dump the contents of the bag to get at the mntg. locations if you wanted to remove the bag to take it inside. I'd feel a little uneasy leaving the bag on the bike with anything of value inside it. Still, under the right circumstances, a really good idea.

Bunker ...

Very nice farkle, m'friend. I think this will work nicely for me as I only ride sans passenger.

I have noticed one thing regarding your post, tho. When I see the same/same bag on Tonker or other sites, there is NO white piping on the sides. It's just a black bag. Did you add this? Or what?

The 150 may be a nice alternative as well. I had looked at it before, but didn't know how to mount it to the bike with the passenger seat installed. Now I know. But, I believe you are correct .... the "ears" may rub the grab handles.

I may get the 150 anyway just to see how it works.

Thanx for the terrific write up and solving my problem with mounting. I wonder if the Russell back rest will fit with it? Guess I'll have to wait until I install the bag ... take photogs and then see what shakes out.

Thanx a ton, bro. BTW, perhaps you could describe the bolts you used in more detail.

BAGGER

Sqoat,

Soft luggage is definitely not as secure as hard luggage, but while the contents might be somewhat vulnerable, the bag itself stays bolted to the bike and is pretty safe. (And there’s no seat to replace the bag if you took the bag off :huh: ). A soft bag liner (like the saddlebag liners) would be the best setup for carrying the contents inside for the night. You could get a real small luggage padlock to lock the two zipper tabs together if you were leaving the contents in the tailbag for a daytime stroll. I can say that with the raincover pulled down snugly, the bag is not an obvious invitation to pilfering.

Bagger,

I’m not sure why the reflective silver welt trim is absent in the Tonker pics, because mine came with it and the pics on NewEnough.com show it. Maybe last years model in the pics?

The bag itself (if full) might make a decent backrest of sorts if you tend to sit toward the back of the saddle. I usual sit closer to the tank and fairly upright so no need for a backrest myself.

I edited the installation part of my write-up to provide a bit more info about the hardware. I’ll try to take a picture of the hardware to add to the webpage.

Pretty cool tailbag, Bunker. B)

I use a so-called FastBag and I'm pretty happy with it. The sandwich-fiber top tends to become scuffed after a while, though, unless you can do splits everytime you throw a leg over :rolleyes:

Stef

Fastbag4.JPG

nice one Bunker - great write-up (pictures too!)

what an effective - useful - inexpensive - attractive - farkle.

cheers mate - Bull

just ordered mine 3 hours ago. should be here friday. i don't need no stinkin rear seat!