Tail luggage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Givi trunk but still carry a seat pack on longer trips. I really need to watch my bucks so I just use a plain ol' gym bag strapped to the Givi rack. The gym bag is somewhat waterproof in itself... the weak point being the zipper. I went & bought some contractor grade trash bags to put my gym bag in as a rain cover. It worked like a charm. Ran through some pretty heavy rains and nothing inside the bag has ever been wet.

One day when I find the right motorcycle specific bag at a decent price, I'll probably buy it. Until then, I'm not stressing about it & worry about wether it looks trailer parkish.

Chicane bag looks nice but no mention of rain cover. I have an Oxford Sports Humpback tailbag that rides pillion all the time. Expandable to 28 liter capacity, 3 outside pockets, rain cover, backpack straps and zip-off base. Top quality, great look and no impact on handling at any speed. Strapped it on under seat and never unstrapped it since. Lockitt.com

George

I have the Kuryakyn Grand Tour bag ,, mounts on the pillon or on the tail ,, lots of room and lots of pockets ,, has weather cover ,, plenty of tiedown straps ,, also has a back rest ,, so when I am on my own I use it on the pillon so I have the back rest ,, when the GF is along it's great for her also ,,

I also have a 2 piece tank bag from Joe Rocket that I use the top for a tail bag ,, it has shoulder straps ,, so if you want something you can carry along when off the bike its great ,, kuryakyn look under the Harley bags

Last edited by a moderator:
Like some of the other guys, I use a Nelsen Rigg expandable tail pack on the passenger pillion that also acts as a backrest. Nice stuff at a reasonable price with excellent mounting straps and rain cover included.

+1 on paint's HelenTwoWheels recommendation. Also, if you're really worried about something getting wet, line whatever you buy with contractor grade trash can liners or trash compactor bags.

I usually don't do bungees; rather use two straps from between rider and pillion seat in front as anchor points and straps around rear rack as rear anchor points if I do a HelenTwoWheels duffle bag on pillion seat. Then tie down with Aerostich straps instead. I'll post photos this weekend. You'll love the BEERKNOTS!! 90% of the strength of hollow webbing.

I did a 600 mile trip with two large camera bags from tenbe. It had self enclosed waterproof covers for each bag. Depending on how much you want to bring, many camera bag companies have large enough cases with waterproof covers and removable liners & dividers that may accomodate most, if not all your things. I've even traveled with a waterproof drum case that housed my pearl snare drum, so if your creative, anything is possible.

Take a look at the Moto Fizz "camper bags" from Aerostitch (www.riderwarehouse.com). They are available in three sizes. The small would make a great pillion seat bag. The medium bag works great with Gary Crowley's luggage rack. The large is huge and would work well in any SUV!

I've got the Pro-tailpack from Nelson Rigg.

click here and scroll down a bit.

Not as big as the other N/R bag GunMD posted, but a very good useable size and pretty inexpensive. Built in bungees and comes with raincover. About the size of a 24 pack of pop, maybe a tad smaller. Also has a flap sewn on to slip over a backrest pad.

Works for me.

Vulcan,

I too have my eye on the bag you mentioned, if you get it please report on it. If I get it I will do the same.