Taller front tire/wheel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We see a lot of arbitrary modifications without reason, i.e. larger rear tire, car tire on the back, and now 18 incher up front. I'm thinking if you're going to ask, you might at least state a reason why. So, Why?

there are many valid reasons for tire alterations. car tires will give many, many more miles, albeit with some degraded handling. taller or shorter rear tires can give up to a 5% change in gearing. taller or shorter front tires can either slow down or quicken handling. I am looking to slow down the front end handling a bit. would like to find a 120/80-17 V or Z rated radial but cannot find one. I have found a 130/70-17 VR that I will go with @ my 1st tire change. this tire is ~1/2" taller and ~3/8" wider and will fit beneath the fender with room to spare. there are more 18" choices than 17" actually....don

Last edited by a moderator:
there are many valid reasons for tire alterations. car tires will give many, many more miles, albeit with some degraded handling. taller or shorter rear tires can give up to a 5% change in gearing. taller or shorter front tires can either slow down or quicken handling. I am looking to slow down the front end handling a bit. would like to find a 130/80-17 V or Z rated radial but cannot find one. I have found a 130/70-17 VR that I will go with @ my 1st tire change. this tire is ~1/2" taller and ~3/8" wider and will fit beneath the fender with room to spare. there are more 18" choices than 17" actually....don
Do you believe that thousands of engineers toiling away at motorcycle manufacturers, just throw darts at random numbers pinned to the wall to decide on wheel/ tire size combinations?

there are many valid reasons for tire alterations. car tires will give many, many more miles, albeit with some degraded handling. taller or shorter rear tires can give up to a 5% change in gearing. taller or shorter front tires can either slow down or quicken handling. I am looking to slow down the front end handling a bit. would like to find a 130/80-17 V or Z rated radial but cannot find one. I have found a 130/70-17 VR that I will go with @ my 1st tire change. this tire is ~1/2" taller and ~3/8" wider and will fit beneath the fender with room to spare. there are more 18" choices than 17" actually....don
I'm all for some experimentation, but the first number in a tire designation is width, the second sidewall height. You're above sizes are wider, not any taller than the 120/70-17 stock size.

Some of the wing guys are running rear tires on the front for some of the reasons you mention. Avon makes a 140/80-17 that could be used in this manner. It's both taller and wider than stock. ST-46 link

I am curious though, have you played with tire pressure at all? Which begs the question; What pressures are you running now?

I'm all for some experimentation, but the first number in a tire designation is width, the second sidewall height. You're above sizes are wider, not any taller than the 120/70-17 stock size.
Not quite.... The first number is the width -- but, the second number is the aspect ratio (or, the ratio of sidewall height to width).

A 120/70 has a sidewall height that is 70% of 120. A 130/80 has a sidewall height that is 80% of 130 -- considerably taller.

Some of the wing guys are running rear tires on the front for some of the reasons you mention. Avon makes a 140/80-17 that could be used in this manner.
I'd suggest being very careful going down this road (actually, I'd suggest not doing it) -- front and rear m/c tires can be very different (you may need to reverse the direction of rotation, at the very least?).

You become the engineer (and test-rider).... :eek:

As this continues somebody is going to jump in and tell you that your balls will fall off if you try this. Just a warning. :rolleyes:

Do you believe that thousands of engineers toiling away at motorcycle manufacturers, just throw darts at random numbers pinned to the wall to decide on wheel/ tire size combinations?

actually I am an Engineer. more over, Ive owned over 3 dozen bikes in my life and have been riding over 42 yrs. Ive also logged over 400,000m/c miles. a 130/70-17 tire is indeed both taller and wider than a 120/70-17 tire. a 140/80-17 however, would not fit beneath the fender. a 120/80-17 is the target fit and I cant find any V or Z radials in that size.....don

there are many valid reasons for tire alterations....I am looking to slow down the front end handling a bit.....don
A much simpler solution would be fitting a 190/50 rear tire. This would lower the rear about 1/4" and have the effect of slowing down the handling. Actually, without any suspension changes, this would make the handling considerably "heavier" and you may find yourself running quite a bit wider in turns, especially right handers, until you learn to compensate.

The FJR seems particularly sensitive to tire choice, perhaps merely a change in brands may have the desired effect?

there are many valid reasons for tire alterations....I am looking to slow down the front end handling a bit.....don
A much simpler solution would be fitting a 190/50 rear tire. This would lower the rear about 1/4" and have the effect of slowing down the handling. Actually, without any suspension changes, this would make the handling considerably "heavier" and you may find yourself running quite a bit wider in turns, especially right handers, until you learn to compensate.

The FJR seems particularly sensitive to tire choice, perhaps merely a change in brands may have the desired effect?

thanks for the suggestion...will go with either a 190/50ZR-17 or a 160/60ZR-17(BT021) AND a 130/70VR-17(G850) front. thereby bringing the front and rear tire diameters to within ~.300" of each other, instead of the 1.200" differential that exists with the stock tire combo...thanks again all...don (note: a 120/80-17 front and a 160/60-17 rear are the same diameter 24.56")