Tank Bag for Rallying

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaJuice

Reaction score
Rally packets are generally distributed on 8.5" x 11" paper and I like to keep that in my map pocket so I can read the bonus prior to getting there. The problem I have is my map pocket on my current bag (River Road One) is not big enough to told the sheets without folding them in half. Waterproof would be nice but I could always throw the packet into the hard bags if I get into a heavy rain.

If money were no object I'd talk to LindaT at customtankbags.com and have her build me a complete setup complete with the waterproof rally book but I'm having a hard time with spending $500 bucks on a bag when I'm sure I can find an off the shelf bag to do what I need for a lot less.

In another currently active thread on tank bags, nwrider1 opened my eyes to Motopak. I checked them out and am liking the GT-20. I sent them an email and they did confirm that it will hold a full sheet of paper. I emailed them back earlier today asking for photo's of it with a piece of paper so I can see how much room there is to play with.

I've also looked through the bags at newenough and only saw 1 bag that fit my bill. That was the Tour Master TB-12. However it's pocket is only 8.5" wide, I'd like to have a little extra width so make it easy to get the packet in and out at the bonus stops.

Does anyone have these bags and care to comment. What about other bags that have a map pocket large enough?

Chase-Harper , at Areostich.com. Full size map pocket that is removable and it's expandable with nice side pockets. It's a full size bag, and a little big for an FJR with Heli-bar triple clamp bar risers to make real tight turns, but is workable.

Another bag system that has a large map pocket is the Tour Master Tri Bag. Although it's 8 1/2" wide at the front, the rear corners are rounded a bit so that the lower part is probably closer to 7". It would mean making a small corner fold at the bottom of an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. It has a large base, a smaller top that's expandable and a separate map case. Each, the base, the top and the map case can be used separately. In Fact, I use the large base bag on a Bandit 1250 with a magnetic base and the top with a strap mount on a MG Norge. Each bag unzips from it's base, and the bags can zip together, while the map case snaps in place on whatever bag is on top.

I have the MotoPak GT Mini on the Yamaha FJR, primarily because of the different top triple clamp, which restricts the width of a bag allowed due to interference with the switches. I like the MotoPak's map case because it has a zipper on the inside longitudinal edge of the top. The Tour Master's map case is closed with Velcro. Another nice thing about MotoPak is that it comes with a rain cover that has a zippered expansion to match the expansion capability of the bag. I'm sure that the MotoPak GT 20 has the same features.

I can't say enough about the Cortech by Tour Master 21 Liter Magnetic Tank Bag which has served us well for 2+ years and many thousands of miles. It is big enough to carry spare glasses, binoculars, 2 water bottles, passports, spare gloves, tire repair kit, flashlight, Sally's purse, still and movie digital cameras, and on and on. I have only one major gripe - the map pocket can't hold 8.5 x 11" paper map. The map pocket measures around 8 x 10" outside but the opening is smaller and you have to fold and crunch and squeeze regular sized paper to get it in there, and really even 8x10 will not come close to fitting. I print my own maps and have had to print custom sizes like 5x6" and 4x6" which then either gets too small to read or loses details. Regular road maps get torn up after one or two attempts to fold small enough to cram into the opening and then spread out inside the clear plastic pocket. And mostly with whatever portion of small or folded up map that is showing, it is less then a tank of gas from one end to the other, so sometimes I run out of map and have to rely on memory.... :( yoiks!

The clear plastic is a removable component part, does have hook and loop strips and snaps, I wonder if I could purchase a bigger map pocket alone to replace the one I have.

Be interested in following the comments here.

If you can't find one that has an approrriately sized map pocket, you could make one.

It looks pretty straight-forward, cordura on the back, 4 snaps, some velcro for good measure. Mine has a zipper to close the opening. The only hard piece to get is the clear vinyl and my guess is that most any upholstery shop that does boats or 'soft tops' will have good quality stuff.

You might even be able to get a 10x12" leftover scrap pretty cheap, if not free.

I might look into this. I have several paper maps that won't fold nicely into my pocket.

I wonder if I could purchase a bigger map pocket alone to replace the one I have.
I've given some thought to that also. LindaT will makes a "rally book" that I'm considering. However, my 5 year old tank bag is getting pretty beat up from the first 4 years of its life on the R1. I used it to lay on and is pretty deformed now so I was going to replace that anyway.

Here is a pic of LindaT's rally book, she will custom make it to adapt to any tank bag. I have not called her yet but I know several other riders that have gone that route and love it.

rallybook1.jpg

Here is a pic of her rally book mounted on someone eles bag.

186320007-M.jpg

I might look into this.
Let me know if you do. I'm more concentrated on getting my fuel cell done this winter so was looking for something that I wouldn't have to put much effort into.

Or you could use something inexpensive like this and attach it to the top of your current tank bag with velcro. Found at REI.com

1e34aa44-d1d1-4ccb-a20c-400fb739b639.jpg

Save up you cash and buy one from Linda T. I bought one on made on a tank bra and it is perfect... Easy to fuel, has a place on the outside for pencils, pens, highliters ect. Keeps its shape, and is a work of art. It has a place for all your stuff... I did not get the rally book, but plan to order one soon.

Yes these tank bags are $$$$$, but worth every penny because she will make it just the way you want it..

Good luck, Smitty

Save up you cash and buy one from Linda T. I bought one on made on a tank bra and it is perfect... Easy to fuel, has a place on the outside for pencils, pens, highliters ect. Keeps its shape, and is a work of art. It has a place for all your stuff... I did not get the rally book, but plan to order one soon.

Yes these tank bags are $$$$$, but worth every penny because she will make it just the way you want it..

Good luck, Smitty
Dang, if Smitty, tight wad he is, bought one... :rolleyes:

Smile when you say that pardner! <_<
From ear to ear... until mid April when I want to ride and she still looks like that :angry2:

And while perusing her site to figure out what I wanted I ran across this:

biketent2.jpg

A bike cover she made for someone that doubled as a tent! Thow one of those sleeping pads that fold into a little sack and the Iron Butt motel is looking better than the Heritage Marina Motel (click and read the reviews)

Well it got a little behind schedule, but I got my LindaT setup in the mail today :yahoo: Just in time for the MN2010 this weekend! Fits like a glove, now with all these pockets I need to decide where to put everything... and when I do... remember where that was :rolleyes:

The requested Pics...

P6150107.JPG

P6150109.JPG

P6150110.JPG

P6150111.JPG

P6150112.JPG

P6150113.JPG

P6150114.JPG

And this makes me see how bad I need to clean my bike...

I have the same identical setup, in the same colors. Good choice on doing the two bags on the panniers in different sizes. I use the long one for my paper maps, and the two smallers one on the other side for food and for carrying my clock-in-the-tankbag. ;)

I have the same identical setup, in the same colors. Good choice on doing the two bags on the panniers in different sizes. I use the long one for my paper maps, and the two smallers one on the other side for food and for carrying my clock-in-the-tankbag. ;)
Paper maps??? what are those? :rolleyes:

"clock-in-the-tankbag" Does that mean what I think it does... it is full at the end of the day? I have not gone that far yet.