Tank Bag Recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyman

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a decent sized tank bag before I head down to SFO next month. I'd like it to have a Map pocket, waterproof or rain cover, and it must be magnetic. What is anyone else using or what do you recommend?

Andy

I've been very happy with RKA's stuff. Not the cheapest around, but very well-built and well-designed. Plus, Richard and Kathy, the owners, are hard-core riders, and know their stuff. I use one of their expandable bags on my FJR.

I have one of these on my FJR and RT.

www.bigmakaccess.com

I don't know if they advertise for the FJR but they make one.

I have the Nelson Rigg CL350 and it works nicely. Road all day in the rain and didn't even need the rain cover. The map started to get a little fogged up but I wasn't looking at it while riding anyways while riding RT 421 aka the snake in the rain.

I'm looking to purchase a decent sized tank bag before I head down to SFO next month. I'd like it to have a Map pocket, waterproof or rain cover, and it must be magnetic. What is anyone else using or what do you recommend?
Andy
I just picked up one of these Click Here

Fits nicely on the tank and appears to have plenty of room. Has build in rain fly. For 72 at new enough I think it is a good value

I also have a 21 L Cortech, which does not fit nicely on the FJR and I am not impressed with it anymore.

Willie

Andy
I've had good luck with the Cortech Super 14 Liter Tank Bag. I've only had it for 1k miles, but it "sticks" well to the tank, even in brutal side winds. Here's a pic of it on the Feej.

IMG_1922.jpg

It's magnetic, has a waterproof cover, and a medium sized map pocket.

I like my SW-MOTECH Engage tank bag. I like the fact that it uses a tank ring to mount and doesn't touch the tank. I also have the power option which allows for an easy power disconnect just by lifting the bag off the tank ring.

Engage Tank bag

Andy
this is a pretty nice little setup. Laguna First Gear Tankbag

I dont particularly like the GPS pouch, but i use that area to store other things.

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
.,..and when you're ready to do it right:

(clicky image)

These folks not only do a wonderful job, they support their product beyond belief. I've got a bag with well over 100Kmiles on it ....it needed a new clear map pocket, the part I need they no longer make. Instead of trying to sell me a new bag, they are making a custom map holder for me ....and charging me 20bucks including shipping. These folks rock. I've had a lot of tank bags over the years, I doubt I'll be buying anything but RKA from now on.

I have the Nelson Rigg CL350 and it works nicely. Road all day in the rain and didn't even need the rain cover. The map started to get a little fogged up but I wasn't looking at it while riding anyways while riding RT 421 aka the snake in the rain.
+1 on Nelson Rigg...a very big bang for the buck...get them at www.newenough.com which is a great company owned and run by motorcyclists

Three diff bags of diff sizes: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/sets...57623737991809/

CL50 mini/micro - day rides

CL300 - medium - used the most these days

CL350 - large/giant - overnight touring - I have it "backwards" on the tank

I like the wide part toward me and the skinny/thin end toward the bars

hope this helps

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
.,..and when you're ready to do it right:

(clicky image)

These folks not only do a wonderful job, they support their product beyond belief. I've got a bag with well over 100Kmiles on it ....it needed a new clear map pocket, the part I need they no longer make. Instead of trying to sell me a new bag, they are making a custom map holder for me ....and charging me 20bucks including shipping. These folks rock. I've had a lot of tank bags over the years, I doubt I'll be buying anything but RKA from now on.
'

Gunny on the RKA tank bag. I have an "ancient" RKA tank bag and it is still going strong and one of their new 20 liter seat bags. The quality is top notch and so is their service! Plus, I don't know if it would matter to you, but it does to me that they are made right here in the U.S.A !

I have four tank bags and don't know that one is better than the other. I go for the size that matches the ride. I will say the RKA is a quality unit.

This is almost as much fun as an oil thread :rolleyes: