Tank Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterguns

Reaction score
Getting close to my SS1000 and have been advised to pick up a tank bag and the member said they are pretty darn handy. I have never owned/used one and don't really know a lot about them. I really wouldn't care for a really large bag; surely not one with a large profile. I suppose a medium size bag would do. Does any of these things scratch the paint? How bout one that is held on by multiple magnets; which I think I'd prefer; don't really know. So I am turning to the experts and experienced to make a couple recommendatiions. I apologize in advance if this topic belongs in the NERPT, but I have looked and can't find anything posts that are sufficiently informative for a FNG like me. Ha Ha

Last edited by a moderator:
love a good tank bag...

opinions will vary widely...

here's mine:

The Rapid Transit Recon 19 rocks.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/986/3414/ITEM/Rapid-Transit-Recon-19-Magnetic-Tank-Bag.aspx

magnetic, great scale for the FJR, big enough but not too big.

narry a scratch in many years on the bike, the trick to no scratches is i routinely carry a microfiber polishing towel (small) in the tankbag. if i see dust or grime, i wipe it down before placing the tank bag. i also am very careful about keeping the contact side of the magnets wiped off. just a quick once over of the tank and magnets ever now and then, and you are good to go

another tip is put on/take off should be done with care. I personally mount the bag, nose first, while holding the side magnets up then gently put them in place then drop the tail magnet into place. easy. i remove in nearly reverse fashion, by pulling the tail straight up, then one side mag then the nose and lifting straight away from the remaining side. the point being, the magnets never slide or twist on the tank. straight on/straight off. sounds complex, but it's easy.

this bag is roomy and holds stuff in a nicely organized way with lots of side pockets inside and out, as well as change holder/key holder/earplug pockets, sunglasses cubby (which also holds GPS or other goodies in the nose. also has an attached rainfly that is easily deployed out of the nose while riding and pulled over the bag. you want it attached, as i've seen several friends lose their rainflys as they were not secured properly or attached.

the only one downside is that the Iphone in any type of case (i use the magpul iphone cover) is a tad tight in the phone compartment... it does have clear vinyl and can be used without removing the the vinyl...

a new, and perhaps better suited bag for iphones is this. i will be looking into it when mine wears out, which seems to be a long way down the road, as it's going on close to 8 years on the road

this is the one i will consider for replacement

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/986/28884/ITEM/MotoCentric-Mototrek-19-Tank-Bag.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

good luck in your search, and once you go bag, you never go back :)

i'm sure there are better bags... but for the money, the rapid is a great bag

I have a Bags Connection tank bag. It connects via a mount clip ring, meaning no magnets. I put expensive electronics in my tank bag and magnets are evil around electronic gear.

I keep my tank scratch free by using clear plastic film.

Linda T tank bags are another option used by some forum members.

Do a little searching on the forum by pasting this text to your browser url, "customer tank bags site:fjrforum.com"

I have a Cortech Mini and love it. It holds just enough stuff and is small enough to keep me from over packing. Its magnetic and Someguy's recommendations are spot on.

Don't be surprised if you buy one, don't like it and buy another one. Tank bags are very personal and there's lots of options for a reason.

I'v tried a variety of tank bags . . . my favorite is "Bags Connection" "City" bag with the tank ring mount so it sit just above the tank, plus it is quicky unmounted for refueling, plus it has an option locking mechanism for quick stops when you dont want secure a few itmes in the bag, plus it has an option GPS mounting system which I love , , , the guys at TwistedThrottle.com can hook you up . . . they are a little pricey, but well worth it in my opinion after going through a lot of trial and error

I have a Bags Connection tank bag. It connects via a mount clip ring, meaning no magnets. I put expensive electronics in my tank bag and magnets are evil around electronic gear.
Another fan of the Bags Connection system I use their Vina for around town and the Engage XL for traveling. Easy on / off for fueling and plenty of storage space. Only negative is the need for a rain cover, but most tank bags aren't waterproof anywho...

--G

Bags Connection is what I find the best for my rides

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

I love my Tank bag but am in the hunt for a new one my first one was a 50 dollar purchase from Cycle gear so of coarse it is the built brand and is expandable so it can be big but I keep it small. I have only had one complaint the magnets are not quite strong enough so in some rain storms with wind gust it has tried to blow off the bike. I am really loving this subject though keep the suggestions coming guys

I will just say +1 to everything that Someguy and HotRodZilla said.

Like Youngbuck I bought the cheap tankbag from CycleGear but I paid closer to $20 during the introductory sale. I have never had any issues with the wind trying to blow it off, it stays put very well. The only way I would recommend this bag is if you are unsure of what you want and need to try something. It is cheap, but is quite functional. I wish I had something better. At least after using this one for a couple of years, I am much more informed of what I really want in a tank bag. And, I am still getting my $$$'s worth out of it.

Do any of these bags have rom for a 3 liter camelback bladder?
3.0 liters is a pretty big bag. I also had a Rapid Transit Recon 19 on my ST. The bladder they sell for it is 2.0 liters. It worked really well. I liked the built in bladder features, the attached rain cover and the quick conversion to a backpack. It was low profile and stayed out of farkle way. Held all my daytime nick nacks with ease.

Do any of these bags have rom for a 3 liter camelback bladder?
3.0 liters is a pretty big bag. I also had a Rapid Transit Recon 19 on my ST. The bladder they sell for it is 2.0 liters. It worked really well. I liked the built in bladder features, the attached rain cover and the quick conversion to a backpack. It was low profile and stayed out of farkle way. Held all my daytime nick nacks with ease.
I have the Rapid Transit Recon 19 and I like it, I put my GMRS radio in the front pouch and has lots of compartments for storage and hydro pack. I would love to get a Custom Bag by Linda T. need to save more $$$$

I have the Rapid Transit Recon 19, as well. It's a narrower bag than some of the larger ones out there. Love it. Easy access to side pockets. I've used the water bladder bag on a couple of long trips last year.

But one thing I noticed on my 2013 FJR was that there isn't a whole lot of room for a wide tank bag. At full cock to the left, the bag will push on either the horn or the cruise control button. It makes for an embarrassing moment while you're trying to either maneuver in a tight spot or just locking your bars. Placing the bag further back helps, but then it's now further down on your crotch.

I have Yamaha's small magnetic tank bag. It is 10 3/4" by 12" by 4 1/2" high or 7 1/2" when expanded. It is held on with 4 strong magnets and doesn't seem to move at all. With the Heli-Bar it works better to keep it back and turn it to avoid the controls on sharp turns. Priced at about $65USD. Yamaha part # GYP-5JJ64-11-BN

IMAG0736.jpg

That's mine. Plenty of room for wallets, phones etc.

The Bilt expandable I have will hold all of my rain gear (coat, pants shoe covers) before I even expand it so it is pretty big I think it would hold a 3 L camelpack blader.