Tankbags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busaroop

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding any tankbag feedback. What type of tankbag are you using and how do you rate it? I think I would prefer a non-magnetic myself but my chief concern is

1-ease of getting to fuel cap

2-marring fuel tank

3-visability of gauges

4-storage capacity

5-mounting

Thats about all I can come up with but I am sure there are more.

What about the kind that mount to the fuel cap ring and keep the bag off the tank completely? Anybody have one of those?

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated. Pics are worth a zillion words.

Chris

Well... you indicated you'd prefer non-magnetic.

But 3 of 5 main concerns seem to point to a magnetic bag.

I'd expect 1, 2, and 5 to be significantly better with a magnetic bag.

Two of the biggest concerns should be size and price range.

If you assume you need a magnetic bag, just evaluate your thoughts on preferred size and price sensitivity. That will help make the pick.

I have used a Chase Harper Magnetic Compact 750 for 3 and 1/2 years.

It holds my Starcom, Walkman, gloves, maps, glasses, etc.

For long trips it expands for waterbottle, rain gear, etc.

1. Easy access to gas cap. You just pivot around the gooseneck tiedown and rest it on a handle bar. Nonissue.

2. Marring of tank. Zero, nadda in 3 years. Nonissue.

3. Gage view. Perfect. Nonissue.

4. Storage. Mine is a smaller option than most. When expanded the upper compartment will hold a gallon of milk. It is big enough for me, maybe not for you. The Yamaha bag is significantly bigger.

5. Mounting. A quick release buckle to the gooseneck will prevent a snatch and run. Other than that, 4 magnets do a perfect job.

6. It is the one of the very cheapest valid options out there. I paid under $70.

A more expensive and very popular option would be from Bagman.

There are plenty of links around.

Owners love them and a color matched, padded tank bra is part of the system.

Very nice. Baggy, feel free to honk your own horn.

Have fun

While a mag bag is easiest as far as gas cap access, I prefer a strap on (lesbos take note). I use a Tourmaster TB12, large enough to hold all of what I need easy access to, small enough to be unobtrusive, well made, gentle on the finish, easily unhooked for access. Never having used one before getting the FJR, can't imagine being without it now. Comes with rain cover also. About $50 everywhere.

TB12
82-378.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Cortech mini Magnetic tankbag... and really like it...

1-ease of getting to fuel cap - it's a snap... get off the bike, put on center stand, grab bag and put it on the riders seat... couldn't be simpler.

2-marring fuel tank - one of the few things you need to be aware of... I typically brush my hands along the underside of the bag before I put it in place on the tank to make sure it hasn't picked up anything that could scratch the paint. Otherwise, there is no marring...

3-visability of gauges - Not a problem at all, and I'm 5' 9+" tall

4-storage capacity - Plenty big for what I want to put in it, and it's also expandable by unzipping it around the middle.

5-mounting - easy, since it's magnetic. I'm also able to reposition it easily if necessary, but it stays in place once attached.

I use a Nelson Rigg MG-950 magnetic

nelrigg_mg950b_bkcrbn.gif

1-ease of getting to fuel cap - Magnetic - very easy

2-marring fuel tank - I put Tankslappers clear protector film under it so it doesn't mar the tank

3-visability of gauges - no obstruction whatsoever

4-storage capacity - current contents - 2 extra face shields, small bottle of Honda Spray Cleaner Polish, small bottle of Rain-X type stuff, 3 terry cloth rags, sunglasses, hat, Motocomm communications controller, bottle of water. still room for other stuff.

5-mounting - breeze

Here's a site you may want to check out

https://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/

Chris,

I was using a Case Harper similar to Randy's for 3 years. On my FZ1 then on the FJR. The only issue I had with it was keeping things organized. Everything just got jumbled around too much.

Then I came across the Rapid Transit Recon 19. Sorry I don't have a link to it but just do a search and you'll find plenty of places that carry it. I found mine on ebay for around $80.

This thing is pack full of features and fits nicely on the bike.

Magnetic, also has D-rings to attach included carrying straps that convert to packpack.

cell phone pocket w/ view window.

intigrated rain cover that stores in its own zippered pocket in front of bag.

seperate pocket for sunglasses.

left and right inside and outside pockets.

inside pocket for mp3 player w/wheather proof hole to route wire through.

also set up for hydration blatter.

This bag was well thought out and desined.

the only thing is the map pocket is too narrow and not removable. A non issue for me now that I got a GPS.

The hieght is not obstuctive.

Check it out. I think you'll like it. Other riders that have seen it on my bike have ask me about it and said they wanted one.

Tim

There is a flip up tankbag that mounts your gas tank bolts. Lifts up and unmounts. No experience but have seen some post of those that use it.

Size is important for various reasons, one being if you decide to power your tankbag you need room for all your electronics. I have mine powered by Powerlet, and have my Autocom and V-1 in the bag plus my GPS,phone and my MP3. I seperated the inside with a layer of plastic so my electronics are under that and I can use the top for incidentals.

This bike has a tank bag that doubles as a seat. Sorry, no link, but most Third World Motorcycle outlets carry them. Gas tank access depends on family size.

indonesia_motorcycle_taxi.jpg

I've been looking for a tank bag too. I use one for a pillow. On long distance rides, I like to put my feet on the passenger pegs and lay down on the tank. With the right tank bag it should be really comfortable. My concern would be that a magnetic bag would move around too much....

I've been looking for a tank bag too. I use one for a pillow. On long distance rides, I like to put my feet on the passenger pegs and lay down on the tank. With the right tank bag it should be really comfortable. My concern would be that a magnetic bag would move around too much....
Urrrrr! Bagster!

IMG_1164.jpg

Tektra tank bag is big enough to hold a standard size pillow and clips onto the protective tank cover. 25,000 miles of happy, here. ;)

Tektra tank bag is big enough to hold a standard size pillow and clips onto the protective tank cover. 25,000 miles of happy, here.
Finally a decent picture of the Bagster setup on an FJR! Thanks TWN you just cost me a couple of hundred bucks :good:

I have the same setup as twowheelnut--BAGSTER all the way. It combines the ease of use of a mag bag with the rock solid feel of a good tied down. I have a slightly smaller bag (don' recall the name), but the have many and they all clip into the nice bra. Looks good in black too.

You won't be sorry. This is a great system! I never leave home without it! Just make sure you pull the tank cover off at least every 2nd or 3rd washing or after you run through rain to clean the tank. I also vaccum the underside of the cover when I do this. Tank still looks brand new, not a mark on it. Plus, when clumsy old me is working on the bike, dropped tools can't dent or scratch the tank! ;)

Out of curiosity, do any of you worry when you leave your bike to go into someplace, that someone will steel your tankbag?

That is the reason I have always hesitated to purchase / use one.

Best Regards,

Shane

I always bring my tank bag into the restaurant or whatever for that reason. Magnetic makes that easy. If I'm just "out riding" I usually won't have it.