Tell me why an FJR please.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckeyeClark

Reaction score
I am sorry if this request is redundant; however, I am looking for reasons to switch from BMW to Yamaha FJR. I currently have a 1994 R1100RS and am looking to purchase something at least 10 years newer. Love the way the FJR looks; but, have never ridden one. Can someone tell me the highlights and/or lowlights of this bike? Thanks

I think it will be hard to compare a 1994 bike to a 2010 bike, but the FJR is probably the best non-BMW compromise between high performance and touring out there. Smooth, fast, comfortable, roomy, great handling, great brakes, reliable, relatively inexepensive...

What the FJR doesn't have is cruise control, communications, or entertainment. If you need those built in, you may consider the BMW sport touring line-up. Expect to pay $7,000 to $10,000 more for the BMW bikes.

The FRJ is certainly an incredible value. If you hunt, you can get a 3-4 year old model with under 10k miles for about $8K.

Ad this forum is part of the value. Every single problem that you are likely to encounter has been documented on this forum and most have pictorial repair tutorials.

Besides the original cost difference, the FJR is much cheaper to maintain. Newer BMWs are very gadget-laden, as you know, and so much routine servicing has to be done by a dealer. About the only thing easier to service on the boxer is the valves, and I'm not sure that is true anymore on the overhead cam motors. I won't bring up the dismal record of final drive and fuel "strip" failures on BMWs.

The FJR is quite a bit more sporty than the R-RT, more in line with the K13 I guess. The R-RT is more similar in character to Honda's ST1300, which you also should consider. But you'll enjoy the upgrade no matter what you choose!

BTW, I almost bought a 2011 R-RT before the reliablity issues and service costs scared me away.

pete

The BMW is a two cylinder VS a 4 cylinder. While the boxer motor is pretty quick it does not have the power band range as the FJR. The FJR is a quicker bike that is very comfortable & reliable and cost much less than the Beemer and there is a dealer in most every town. I have owned 4 FJR's and have ridden them over 75k without any kind of a problem. With all this said the FJR is in need of an update and there does not appear to one coming anytime soon. The new Kawasaki just may be the best bike, for the money, that is out there. The new Beemer 6 cylinder coming this spring should also be something to consider.

I am looking for reasons to switch from BMW to Yamaha FJR.
Late-model BMWs: regularly.

FJR: Only once we know of.

Rear-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a CLEAN 2004 FJR 1300 with 17,000 miles for $5500. My previous bike was a Yamaha Royalstar tour/floorboard/bagger, it was also a 1300cc but almost 800 lbs. Although it was peerless on the Hwy, I got tired of the weight and chrome. So far I really like the FJR! Other LIKES: It already has a "throttlemeister" bar end mount cruise control, so cruise control is not an issue, you can get these for about $150 and they work good. My FULL FACE helmet fits /locks inside the saddlebag. Electric adjustable windshield is nice!! I like it low when I wear my full face and high when I wear my open face helmet. I LIKE the versatility that I can wear different helmets depending on type of ride and the weather. I can wear my ride pin laden leather vest and go cruising with the pack, or I can put on my Joe Rocket jacket and go sport biking in the canyon. I love the versatility of this bike! And POWER!! SMOOOTH POWER, silk transmission! Sometimes I wish it had a 6th gear, but it still is only 1/2 way to redline and is spinning 5000 rpm at 85-90mpf which is definitely ok. (i think the 2007s and up have a taller final frive gear/lower highway rpms) Lots of TORQUE too. You can leave it in 5th gear all day if you want to. It handles great too! Anyways...I'm happy with mine. Best wishes!!

I am sorry...redundant...I am looking...to switch from BMW to...FJR. I ...have...R1100RS...to purchase...newer. Love the way the FJR looks; but, have never ridden one. Can someone tell me the highlights and/or lowlights of this bike?

Thanks
One thing: Your BMW comes with a 'Roundel' with the letters B, M, & W -- which stand for Brilliant, Magnificent, & Wonderful. The FJR (in America) has a logo that's a set of 3 tuning forks (?) and the letters F, J, & R don't mean anything as grand... :blink:

Other than that, the FJR is a very competent sport-touring motorcycle that can be acquired at a fair price.

You're welcome ;)

It does come down to personal taste and - most importantly - your pocket book. I have test ridden a few BMWs now and really liked the ergonomics and the feel I've encountered. I believe that the very latest K bikes will not be as prone to drive-line failures anymore (remains to be seen though), but for me the biggest factor was that I simply never liked the looks of the after 2004 K bikes, and I never liked the hefty price tag. That said, I very much like the styling of the new 1600 bikes, I'm sure there's going to be a K1300 soon to match that look.

I always loved the aggressive look and stance of the FJR, and you can get a 3 to 4 year old with reasonably low mileage for 7500-8500 fully farkled. One more thing is that most (non MC riding) people don't get that an FJR is NOT a BMW. I have heard "nice Beemer" so often, I just nod and say thank you.

Enough said!

Can someone tell me the highlights and/or lowlights of this bike?
Yes

I'm looking to replace my current computer monitor with a wide screen. The Dell SR2320L looks like a good choice. The monitor is about $230 at Best Buy. Before I buy one, I'm going to do some research.

I'll make you a deal, you do my research and tell me what monitor to buy. I'll do your research and tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the Yamaha FJR.

Deal?

Joe2Lmaker-

How do I get two beautiful young women to push me? Is this a new version of the old "out of gas" ruse? Or is that just a broken BMW you're on?

pete :dribble:

Actually, there are many member here who have had BMW motorcycles in the past and few who still do.

Perhaps one of them will post here...er...uhm...Paging beemerdons to the white courtesy phone...Mr. S please....beemerdons.....

In the mean time, here's some reading from the past that might answer a few questions (using Bing or Google):

BMW RT FJR comparison site:fjrforum.com

BMW FJR comparison site:fjrforum.com

It's very difficult for we who own FJRs to be unbiased or experienced but there are those who have made the move to the FJR and some of the information in the above links should help.

I've had two K bikes, liked them except for mechanical problems and still ride my K11 a little. Had a spline failure(with bmw lub), then had a transmission fail and lockup while riding(lucky to be alive), so I'm leaving BMW. I like the newer K bikes to ride(rented a K1200GT in Europe 3 yrs. ago), but they have issues and wouldn't purchase one. Even though the R bikes are by far the most popular, lighter than the FJR, I don't like them. In Sept., I swapped my rented BMW800ST for a R1200RT in the Alps for an hour. No joy. Thought it was a truck and shifted like one!!! However, Aug. Motorcycle Consumer News road tested the Kaw C14, new Honda VFR1200, FJR and liked the R1200GS better.

I like the FJR Gen 11 2006 or newer. My 07 has been flawless for almost 50k. Did have a recall on the ignition switch and computer. I installed the helibar triple tree to move the handlebars back to be more like my LT riding position. BMW's do come better set up to ride with toys. I added 2 powerlets, heated grips, and cruise. Have fun making your choice and test ride an FJR!!!

I switched from a 1994 R1100R to my current 2006 FJR and haven't been disappointed at all. About the only thing I miss are the BMW sport-touring hand-grips. But a $10 pair of grip puppies went a long way.

The R1100R was very easy to ride because it was a little lighter and the weight was very low. The additional weight of the FJR took a little adjustment, but it wasn't long before I adjusted to the FJR. It's more capable in the corners once you're used to managing the vastly superior power.

I did look at the newer BMWs when I bought my FJR two years ago. But between final drive failures and prices at almost double the FJR, the decision was easy. If you want to spend a fortune at the BMW dealer both up front and ongoing, they can be good options. However, the FJR has a lower starting point and is very easy to work on to customize to your own needs.

Here's my list:

1. Engine (overall power, broad torque curve, good top end). I love the roll-on power when passing! :thumbsup:

2. Handling. The bike is nimble yet stable at high speed. Cornering is good. Getting suspension sorted out provides even more benefits.

3. Fuel capacity. It's great to stop when you want to, rather than be on the lookout every 80 miles or so. Additionally, most people get mileage in the range of 40 to 45 mpg, a few even higher. Max range could easily exceed 270 miles.

4. Shaft drive = no/low maintenance.

5. Color (love the light silver of the 2003).

6. Looks. I think the FJR has the best lines of any sport-tourer on the market.

7. Brakes. My 2003 has got some great stoppers; good power, good feel. I understand the '09/'10 ABS is about as good as there is on the market.

8. Fuel injection. It works pretty well in my opinion.

9. Lights. I like the dual lights up front for increased visibility, plus they have good range. And the rear lighting is large enough for most people to see...increasing safety. (Loud lights save lives ).

10. Dash. The 2003 has good instrumentation for an '03 model; it's even better now.

11. Bags are good, and the bike doesn't look too bad with them off, either. I use the Yamaha trunk and like it.

12. The engine. It's a blast!

13. Price. It's tough to beat the value of the FJR compared to the other offerings in the market. you get a whole lotta bang for the buck!

14. Suspension. It's pretty good in stock form and the adjustability isn't too bad, either.

15. Handles pretty well in cross winds.

16. Wind protection isn't the best on the planet, but it's not the worst either. I use a Yamaha touring w/s with Skyway spacers and like it. And I actually like that the w/s retracts when shut-off.

17. Serviceability. No valve adjustment until 26k, relatively easy oil changes and other DIY stuff.

18. The engine...best feature on the bike!

19. Dealer network (OK, not all are good, but some are and there's lots of choices and good availability when you're traveling).

20. Seat (it's not ideal, but is better than most stock units...I still use mine).

21. Center stand.

22. Weight. OK, it could be lighter, but it's not bad considering the competition.

23. Comes with a pretty knowledgeable and loyal following.

24. Engine. Did I tell you it's a bomb to ride? Power everywhere. Roll-ons are great. A world-class Sport-Tourer!

25. The dang thing is a thrill to ride. I've had only one problem: I get a mile or more away from home and can't get the thing turned around!

A few pans:

1. Gen I's have the dreaded heat problem.

2. Tickers. Mine isn't one of them. :D

3. Availability. Not much choice on color. The deposit program wasn't very attractive, either. But it's better than it used to be.

4. I'd like a factory option for cruise control.

I'm sold. ;) YMMV.

BTW, you might also consider this when comparing the FJR to newer model BMWs...linky :(

I switched from a 1994 R1100R to my current 2006 FJR and haven't been disappointed at all. About the only thing I miss are the BMW sport-touring hand-grips.
You can do what I did -- go to the local BMW dealer and order a set of BMW ST grips. Voila -- BMW grips on FJR. What could be better?

I am sorry...redundant...I am looking...to switch from BMW to...FJR. I ...have...R1100RS...to purchase...newer. Love the way the FJR looks; but, have never ridden one. Can someone tell me the highlights and/or lowlights of this bike?

Thanks
One thing: Your BMW comes with a 'Roundel' with the letters B, M, & W -- which stand for Brilliant, Magnificent, & Wonderful. The FJR (in America) has a logo that's a set of 3 tuning forks (?) and the letters F, J, & R don't mean anything as grand... :blink:

Other than that, the FJR is a very competent sport-touring motorcycle that can be acquired at a fair price.

You're welcome ;)
After having owned several BMW's (both bikes and cars) I can honestly say the letters "BMW" stand for:

B-Bring

M-My

W-Wallet

Seriously though, the FJR is a great bike with a super engine. You are basically going from a very simplistic and underpowered pushrod air cooled opposed twin powerplant (the same engine that powers my garden tractor) to an engine with the same technology that powers the older R1 bikes. you will not be disapointed!

Pete