Tent for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will probably get bumped to another thread, but...

If it's just you, get a solo tent. They fold down very small. Only fits one person, and not a lot of gear. If you don't need much space, this will work well.

clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
good tent + low price
I've had good tents and I've had low-priced tents. They're two different animals, IMO. But Keithaba's suggestion looks like it might work, especially if you don't get much inclement weather.

Being an older, er more mature person, I require an air mattress these days. I'd get a slightly bigger tent so you have room for an air mattress and a little gear. Two or three person dome tents are not much more difficult to pack and carry than the tiny ones and you can almost stand upright in them, which makes it a lot easier to get dressed in. Look for a tent with a reasonably durable floor material in it so you won't need to carry a ground cloth.

I fit a three man tent, air mattress, and sleeping bag in a single duffel which I strap on my pillion seat.

Being an older, er more mature person, I require an air mattress these days.

You will want at least a sleeping mat. The one I use (couldn't find pic) rulls up pretty well. About 10" in diamater and less than 3' wide. You can blow a small amount of air in to add cushion. It's not an air mattress though... If you do bring a sleeping mat, then you may as well get a slightly larger tent. Your going to have to strap the sleeping mat to a luggage rack or rear pilion anyway.

It all depends on how much room you want your gear to take up, and how comfortable you want to be.

Camping in December? Yes, I have a suggestion for a tent. Best Western makes a really nice one. If that one is too much for you Holiday Inn also makes a nice one... but don't discard the tents made by Super 8 & Motel 6. Those are basically the same as the others.

Camping in December? Yes, I have a suggestion for a tent. Best Western makes a really nice one. If that one is too much for you Holiday Inn also makes a nice one... but don't discard the tents made by Super 8 & Motel 6. Those are basically the same as the others.
+1

Then you don't have to worry about crap flying off your bike the whole time....

By the time you buy the tent and a mat you will have paid at least 2X the cost of a room for a night.

Only drawback is they usually get mad if you start a campfire in a best western... :blink:

They also have a nice garage accessory/add on if you get the walk-out version ;)

I'll +2 on the air mattress recommendation. I would also recommend an air pump. It helps avoid blackouts due to hyperventilation ;) , and the vacuum side greatly reduces the volume of the deflated mattress.

Just be careful of the 12v current draw on your power outlet.

Or, you can park next to a tree....the fresh air will be revitalizing and you will have great view. Plus a tree to pee on.

Ooooh.....2112 posts. Better break out the rush album......

+aarp discount = economocal camping altho campfires are not allowed. No smores, except in mircowaves,kind of messy.

I'll +2 on the air mattress recommendation. I would also recommend an air pump. It helps avoid blackouts due to hyperventilation ;) , and the vacuum side greatly reduces the volume of the deflated mattress.Just be careful of the 12v current draw on your power outlet.
+1 on the air pump. My air mattress came with a pump that uses 'D' cell batteries. A set of batteries lasts a couple of seasons for me. I also use the air mattress and pump for an extra bed when my house fills up with overnight guests.

Heading up to Cumberland Island, GA. for X-mas. Need a tent, any recommendations?

I've been using one of these two person tents for about 3 years now.

i516319sn01.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/y8dg2s

Plenty of room for me and my gear when camping solo. Kinda cozy when camping with the wife, but room in the vestibules for most of our gear. Cabelas private label stuff is all made by major manufactures and carries the best guarantee in the business, "if you don't like it, send it back for a full refund". My tent is very easy to set up, packs down to a small size, and has all the features you might want and for a reasonable price too.

Enjoy the trip,

Richard

All depends on what you'll use the tent for, summer camping ( summer tent in the pic below ), three seasons camping, four seasons ? A good rain fly is a must have feature. Ever been trapped by a deluge for two days ?

Sierra Designs makes some kick ass tents, they last for years.

I used a Coleman inflateable mattress, what do I care it takes up almost my whole tent, :D I'm comfy ! Same as the sleeping bag, lots of loft keeps you warm.

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

This is the tent I have been using for the past 4 yrs. It is a Eureka with a 7' x 7' floor. Three things I have found to look for in the small backpack type tents are:

(1) A tent with a floor large enough to put you and all of your gear.

(2) A tent with good venting and a rain fly (keeps the rain out yet allows the tent

to breath so it doesn't build condensation.

(3) A tent with hooks for the bows so you don’t need to thread the bows through

all the loops. Just easier and much faster.

DSCN0614.jpg

CopyofDSCN0624.jpg

When I needed a tent for Moto-camping, I did a lot of research to find one that was easy to put up in the dark, was three season with a decent fly for rain, was free standing so could be used w/o staking down, and was resonably priced.

What I found was the Eureka Apex. Offered with fiberglass or aluminum poles. I have the glass poles and have had no problems with them. Alum. pole versions are more expensive. Bonus, this tent has shorter pole sections, so packs small enough to put in the saddlebag if I desire. I pack light. I can pack the tent and sleeping bag, (summer weight one), in one saddlebag along with a multitude of other items and leave the other saddlebag for clothes.

Apex tent Not the best price, I paid $79 on sale, but shows you what model I'm talking about. The fly has the vestilbes on each side, good for your boots or what ever, but they require a stake on each side when using the fly. W/O the fly, one end is mesh, so allows great air flow, but lacks privacy. This tent has been great and met my needs while always keeping me dry in rain and being easy to put up and take down.

The first day I owned it I put it up in darkness, having only put it up once in my living room earlier that same day. And that was at the end of a 600 mile day, so I wanted to sleep, not fuss with the tent. I'm very happy with the tent and expect many more years of use from it. There are certainly better tents, but for the money I spent, I'm pleased with the value.

Not to be outdone by warsw, here's a pic.

44t7lg3.jpg
I believe the Apex is a size or so smaller than warsw's Eureka.

This is the tent I have been using for the past 4 yrs. It is a Eureka with a 7' x 7' floor. Three things I have found to look for in the small backpack type tents are:(1) A tent with a floor large enough to put you and all of your gear.

(2) A tent with good venting and a rain fly (keeps the rain out yet allows the tent

to breath so it doesn't build condensation.

(3) A tent with hooks for the bows so you don’t need to thread the bows through

all the loops. Just easier and much faster.
Another item to add to the list is floor design. You can see from the pics , my tent is a summer tent with a standard seamed floor... not good if it rains. The other pics have a bathtub floor which is better if you anticipate rain in your travels.

You can see the diference in rain flys also from the pics, summer fly vs rain flys.

REI Quarterdome (with rain fly and footprint) + down bag + Thermarest mattress. Hard to find so much comfort (in rain, too) in such a lightweight and compact package.