Test drove k1200gt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPhillips

Reaction score
I was able to test drive the k1200gt and r1200rt this past weekend. The r was more in line with the st1300 when it came to power, however the motor was no where as smooth, and seemed to be very 'buzzy'. The k was very smooth and had plenty of power. But compared to the FJR it appears that the FJR can do anything the k can do with out the extra cost. I just can't see spending 22k for a k when you can get an fjr for 9k less.

Bingo. Great looking bikes and the fit and finish is nice but not 9k nice....

I was able to test drive the k1200gt and r1200rt this past weekend. The r was more in line with the st1300 when it came to power, however the motor was no where as smooth, and seemed to be very 'buzzy'. The k was very smooth and had plenty of power. But compared to the FJR it appears that the FJR can do anything the k can do with out the extra cost. I just can't see spending 22k for a k when you can get an fjr for 9k less.
You and I were on the same quest last weekend. Rode the K1200GT AND the Concours 14. Wouldn't give up the FJR for either of them.

Well, since everyone else said it: bingo!

I like the features the K1200 has, but the price is just way too steep. Also, the fairings make the bike look too slab sided!

Last edited by a moderator:
My uncle has a new k1200gt...and I must say it does have its appeal. I can almost hang speed wise, but him having a 6spd does make a difference. Some other things I wish I could have on the FJR are the adjustable handlebars and the electronic suspension adjustment is pretty neat. That being said, they are pretty similar bikes otherwise and for the money I give my vote to the FJR, especially when it comes to maintenance.

Performancewise, the KGT and FJR should be about even. GT has a few more ponies, but a few dozen pounds extra weight too. Besides the advantages mentioned, there are THREE others I really like: Single-sided swingarm (looks awesome, and changing tires is a snap), partial integral brakes (front lever has 100% full braking force, front and back, but rear pedal is only rear. Best of both worlds IMO), and cruise control. But still, all of that is not worth $9K IMO either. And without a dealer around for 300 miles, no more BMWs for me. I bought my KRS in '03 beause nobody else had ABS, but things have changed. For the amount of time I used cruise, my TM works 95% as good; don't miss cruise anymore. Other than the darn surging, the FJR is tried and true, and with plenty of A/M support. Later gang.

JC

Lets dont forget as you say the BMer has yada yada.. For 9K I can make my Yammi do ALL that and have enough leftover for two weeks for two on a cruise in Europe AND beer money

We've been over this before - the price difference is not $9k, it's $5276.

I know, you can cherry pick data that shows a K1200GT going for $21K and a FJR1300A going for $12K, but that includes a lot of accessories on the GT that aren't even available on the FJR. The base model GT is directly comparable to the standard FJR-A. And now that the GT has been out awhile, you can get the same discounts for it than you can get on a FJR. Wait until Sept, and BMW will probably add a 0% financing offer to the GT, so you might even get a better discount with the BMW.

$5300 is still a lot of money, but fair is fair.

- Mark

Performancewise, the KGT and FJR should be about even. GT has a few more ponies, but a few dozen pounds extra weight too.
The new k1200gt is 549lbs dry, versus 553lbs on my 05 ABS FJR, and even worse 582lbs on the new 07 FJRs...so its roughly the same weight as my '05 with more power and better gearing...it moves...Trust me! :) I guess if you like all the techno-wiz-bang features that the BMW can offer, than maybe its for you to pay the difference. I defintely appreciate the bike, BMW built a great product, but all being said - look what I ride ;) And FWIW, my uncle said if he didn't have a k1200gt, he'd be on a FJR too! :p

I would be worried about, where to get it fixed, while out on a long ride with mechanical problems. I think there are many more Yamaha shops then Beemer shops to crash land for help. They are both great bikes!

Cherry pick? I don't understand. A loaded GT is $21k+ OTD fees, and a loaded FJR is $12k+OTD fees, at MSRP. THEN, go on to look at the $$$ BMW maintenance and lack of dealership support, and the added expenses go EVEN higher. What's there to cherry pick? The black cherry '07? :yahoo:

Cherry pick? I don't understand. A loaded GT is $21k+ OTD fees, and a loaded FJR is $12k+OTD fees, at MSRP. THEN, go on to look at the $$$ BMW maintenance and lack of dealership support, and the added expenses go EVEN higher. What's there to cherry pick? The black cherry '07? :yahoo:
I believe he was referring to options on the BMW you can get versus ones that are not even offered on a comparable FJR, i.e. xenon light, ESA, tire pressure monitoring, etc. You can't "load out" an FJR like you can the Bimmer...hence the reason comparing a loaded BMW to a "standard" FJR is apples to oranges.

I believe he was referring to options on the BMW you can get versus ones that are not even offered on a comparable FJR, i.e. xenon light, ESA, tire pressure monitoring, etc. You can't "load out" an FJR like you can the Bimmer...hence the reason comparing a loaded BMW to a "standard" FJR is apples to oranges.

I disagree, It is apples to apples if you are going to take the extra money saved on the FJR and see if you can "Farkle it out hard" to do the loaded BMW stuff. Then they are equal in the end with money left over.

But, It seems there are some BMW fans here that are getting defensive. DOnt guys, I like the BMW too but hey, we are just BSing here