The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While those prices are scary, how many of us have ever ponied up for a replacement stock shock on any of our bikes up to now? Unless it was an insurance repair, my guess would be close to zero.

That said, if one gets an ES they are (probably) going to want to maintain and retain the E part of the ES that they paid a premium price for admission on. So... either Yamaha will step up with replacement/repair parts or there will be a huge aftermarket opportunity for a re-builder of ES shocks (and maybe forks too) as this IS the future folks.

I'm anxiously waiting for the ferro-dynamic instantly adjustable suspensions to hit the market. That is going to be the next really big game changer in MC suspensions if they can pull it off in a reasonably reliable fashion.

Of course I'll probably still be riding my 2005 FJR leg warmer, so it won't really matter all that much (to me).
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like Yamaha is following BMW's pricing, the 2 ESA shocks are a $900 option but cost $3800 to replace......but Ohlins and Wilbers offer plug in replacements that are better shocks. Take a look at the '14s electronic front forks. Very reasonable in price to replace the entire unit but with a very pricy fork cap that the wiring sits on top of. I'm guessing that each cap has some kind of motor moving a damping rod to open/shut a damping valve within the cartridge with rebound on one side and compression adjustment on the other.

I'm anxiously waiting for the ferro-dynamic instantly adjustable suspensions to hit the market. That is going to be the next really big game changer in MC suspensions if they can pull it off in a reasonably reliable fashion.
I've ridden the 2013 Multistrada with the Skyhook semi-active (which is actually very active) electronic suspension and while it was much better than the other electronic systems from BMW and Ducati I have ridden, it was not a game changer and the overall ride quality was not quite as good as the aftermarket suspension I have on my bikes.

That's a fair chunk of change for sure, and ES is only a $1000 option to get you in the door. Is it an adequate suspension as is for valving or two-up? I guess we all put up with our stock shocks for a while until we felt they were inadequate. But, if the 13's are any indication, the spring rate at least has been improved. They're gonna need rebuilds or replacement at how many miles? Seals don't last forever. Wonder what an aftermarket will cost, if/when available....... regardless, it's going to cost you at some point. You only have a one year warranty, and US folks are lucky the YES warranty is relatively cheap.... I'm not a fan of extended warranties, but it might be a good idea to pony up for this one if you're not planning on going aftermarket. Canadian extended warranty is just plain ridiculous.........

When you get your new toy with that bling, after the first while of dialing it in, are you really going to play with it much after that? Not sayin' I wouldn't get an ES, but I'm quite happy with my current aftermarket stuff that I don't play with much once it's set.

We need a ride report from an owner who can give the '14 ES a workout over lots of conditions............

So, looks like changing settings on the fly is limited to 3 canned settings, you must be stopped to dial in the canned settings with finer changes..... hmmmm.

So, looks like changing settings on the fly is limited to 3 canned settings, you must be stopped to dial in the canned settings with finer changes..... hmmmm.
Not such a bad thing really. My understanding is you can fine tune the settings and save them so then you can then select the main settings on the fly.

All the more reason to get your ass in the YES program.... That is a spendy bunch of kit right there....

Albeit some of the really good aftermarket rear suspensions are upwards of $1k +, and the Front - lest we not forget the numbers that just came up in the latest group buy for the front suspension all in.....

Does Yamaha's fully active suspension hold a candle to those tried and trued racing suspension manufacturers products - we just don't know, but I'd bet that the answer is likely NO... Plus the added extra gizmos that need to interact with said suspension can go a foul as well as distract the rider on the fly..... Guess we'll find out soon enough...

I can't see spending $1K for the ES. Of course, I can't see spending $1x,000.00 for a Gen III right now anyway because... well, my "real life" is vomitting expenses right now and toys have to take a back burner. But I digress....

I ride my gen I about 15K miles a year in widely varied conditions. Everything from a 30 mile - no bags "mental health break" ride, to 3,000+ miles of fully load "bring way too much crap you'll never use" mulit-state camping tours. I adjust my suspension accordingly for each ride, but to date, I can't ever remember thinking while I was riding "Gee - I wish I had more compression dampening right now". I think it's a gimmick with almost no chance for after-market support.

Now - ABS, heated grips, cruise control, and more stator output? Whole different story. My next bike will be either a cream puff Gen II with little miles, or a Gen III. I need to get 3ish more years out of my bike. At the rate I'm going, that will be at around 90K miles - well within reach based on my readings here.

Sometimes the waiting is the hardest part...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not such a bad thing really. My understanding is you can fine tune the settings and save them so then you can then select the main settings on the fly.
My understanding is that when you are "fine tuning" the settings you are changing both the shock and the fork's damping settings at the same time and in the same direction....and that is not fine tuning. It also appears that a single shock spring is being used for loads that can vary between 150 and 450 lbs. I wonder if it will be possible to install a different spring and still have compatibility with the preset damping combinations.

The pre-load is set while stopped, no weight on the bike and the engine running. Pre-load lets you choose 1. solo 2. solo with luggage 3. passenger 4. passenger with luggage. If you make a mistake with the pre-load the damping control will flash and limit settings. Within each pre-load setting there are 3 damping settings, HARD, STD, SOFT. The damping will change appropriately for each change in pre-load. Each damping setting can then be set to 7 different levels. Buy an ES so you can read the owners manual for more details :lol:

The owners manual says to take a worn out ES shock to Yamaha for service.

BMW electronic suspension, lets you choose one up, two up, light, medium, heavy. Choose sport or tour. Choose levels within this setting.

Much of our BMW riding in CA was in steep switch-backs and tight sweepers where the BMW had to be in the sport mode. Once we gained altitude above 10k feet the weather had wrecked the roads making the sport mode unlivable, then the tour mode made the terrible roads smooth and comfortable. Here in New England we have a lot of weather wrecked roads and I can see us using the electronic suspension adjustments as we transition between road conditions.

Just picked up my new 2014 FJR1300ES from Hinshaw's Honda this afternoon. Already working on ordering and adding farkles. I love the adjustable suspension. I've kept my 2005 with 67,000 miles as a second bike for now.

Just picked up my new 2014 FJR1300ES this afternoon from Hinshaw's Honda in Auburn. Big upgrade for me, moving from my 2005 with 67,000 miles, which I'm keeping as a second bike. I love the cruise control and the adjustable suspension.

Just picked up my new 2014 FJR1300ES this afternoon from Hinshaw's Honda in Auburn. Big upgrade for me, moving from my 2005 with 67,000 miles, which I'm keeping as a second bike. I love the cruise control and the adjustable suspension.
Congrats! We'll look forward to seeing you at the spring Tech Day so we can check it out...
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

I LIKEY BOTH!Can I be greedy? ...kidding... my g/f would dis-own me in a heartbeat!

And that SWEET looking deep/rich red look awfully familiar (at least to me)...

2011-BMW-K1600-red.jpg
Please don't **** up this FJR thread with pictures of Bring More Wallet because they Build Machines Weird.

You're wrecking the good vibe of this thread...

Go to your BMWMOA site for that...

biggrin.png
Dude the FJR with it's tinker toy ESA suspension and then some wet NOODLE forks is a wanta bee ! Ya all are in denial..
not_i.gif

I LIKEY BOTH!Can I be greedy? ...kidding... my g/f would dis-own me in a heartbeat!

And that SWEET looking deep/rich red look awfully familiar (at least to me)...

[img=[URL="https://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/a/I/0/-/2011-BMW-K1600-red.jpg%5D"]https://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/a/I/0/-/2011-BMW-K1600-red.jpg][/URL]
Please don't **** up this FJR thread with pictures of Bring More Wallet because they Build Machines Weird.

You're wrecking the good vibe of this thread.i..

Go to your BMWMOA site for that...

:D
Dude the FJR with it's tinker toy ESA suspension and then some wet NOODLE forks is a wanta bee ! Ya all are in denial.. :not_i:
Yeah, we heard you the first time. Um, exactly what is "wet noodle" about it? You've never heard of the aftermarket? Are you even able to use the "wet noodle" OEM suspension to its limited potential, or did you just wake up with some kind of thorn in your ass? Me thinks you talk more than you do. Show me any bike with the perfect set up for every rider that buys it.

What happened? You fall off and now you wanna blame it on your suspension? Get beat in the twisties by a Harley??