The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, and I bought my Chevy to get me around town. The Caddy is for my spicy side, and yes, it will make me a cappuccino on demand!

Joined this forum recently. Have ridden a Honda ST1300 for 7 years, 100k miles. Wanted a new bike.

Have ridden several bikes to decide which one to buy, including the BMW K1600 GT. Rode it months before I got to try an FJR. Didn't like the BMW at all. Several rideability issues- no flywheel- can stall in the blink of an eye, inferior flyby-wire throttle action, enough driveline slack for 4 or 5 bikes, and a clutch with a load-sensitive friction point. Couldn't wait to get back on my '03 ST1300!

Rode a 1200 Triumph 1200 explorer & Trophy, fully expecting to like them, but was disappointed. The FJR was actually my third choice going in, and it took me by surprise- it was very refined and just what I was looking for. Hands down easy choice, and not because of price.

Wouldn't want the BMW if it were the same price or cheaper than the FJR. That's just my crappy opinion- don't care if anyone else agrees.

Ordered a 2014 FJR ES, coming in Jan. That's why I'm on this forum, not somewhere else.

OK I'll bite. How the hell is a full Ohlins suspension on an FJR a compromise to a stock BMW suspension? That is a complete joke. Did you not get it set it up correctly?
Agree. If the BMW has such a superior front suspension system (and I assume Peter is referring to the R1200/K1300/K1600 platforms) I would expect to see it used in a racing/track configuration rather than the pretty conventional inverted forks used on their premium sport bike. As for the BMW's superiority in a touring platform, when I visit the BMW Forums, quite a few of the members have replaced BMW's suspension components with aftermarket suspension and report dramatic improvements. I have yet to ride a BMW that has the ride quality and overall handling capabilities of my FJR.
Active member here on K1600.com

Hardly anybody has even/ever mentioned replacing their suspensions. Maybe on the lesser expensive models/forums but I would say that 99.9% K16 owners are using the factory electronic suspension.
My BIL has 2 BMW's both have aftermarket Ohlins suspension..JSNS.

Let's get this back on topic. 2014 FJR WooHoo!!!
Yeah but not on K16's! OK, back on WooHoo...
Yea...well those are just plain FUGLY!!!

I have a Gen I that has (just) Wilbers F/R setup, adjusted fork oil weight, adjusted air space in the forks along with a fork brace. While the ride is neither a Goldwing nor an Aprilia RSV1000, it is a still a good sport/tourer combination. The FJR is not a race bike, nor is it a touring bike. I'm used to this suspension setup. I had a chance to put ~2k miles on a BMW K1300GT with electronic suspension on many very demanding roads in CA and feel that I have a good idea how my modestly modified FJR compares to the BMW. Even. In very tight, low speed switchbacks my FJR would have been a bit better, the BMW pushed and even in the sport mode the suspension would fully compress. The electronic suspension let me smooth out the BMW suspension on some of the few highway miles we did, and was better than the FJR. At altitude (>12k feet) where the roads were really weather beaten the electronic suspension let me adjust on the fly to relieve the pounding; if I was to stop and adjust my FJR the ride would be even.

I have been riding since my teens and I'm now well past my mid 20's and have enough riding experience to say that over all my lightly tweaked FJR is at least the equal to the K1300GT for both comfort and handling. If you find that the FJR suspension is wet noodles, can't be made comfortable or can't be made to handle acceptably then you have the wrong bike for your riding mission.

Note: While I've been pounding on the keys I see there has been lots of posting so this post may be already obsolete.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'll bite. How the hell is a full Ohlins suspension on an FJR a compromise to a stock BMW suspension? That is a complete joke. Did you not get it set it up correctly?
Agree. If the BMW has such a superior front suspension system (and I assume Peter is referring to the R1200/K1300/K1600 platforms) I would expect to see it used in a racing/track configuration rather than the pretty conventional inverted forks used on their premium sport bike. As for the BMW's superiority in a touring platform, when I visit the BMW Forums, quite a few of the members have replaced BMW's suspension components with aftermarket suspension and report dramatic improvements. I have yet to ride a BMW that has the ride quality and overall handling capabilities of my FJR.

Hardly anybody has even/ever mentioned replacing their suspensions. Maybe on the lesser expensive models/forums but I would say that 99.9% K16 owners are using the factory electronic suspension.

You'll see what's fa-gly when I show up to SEO on my new electric rechargeable scooter!

You'll see what's fa-gly when I show up to SEO on my new electric rechargeable scooter!
What...not bringing your superior Duetshes Motorrad???

Last edited by a moderator:

What...not bring in your superior Duetshes Motorrad???
Naaaaa, Joe I figure with all you guys puffing on da 'gars... I need to bring a non-petro/flammable machine to this meet. Plus It's convertible to a shopping cart so when we race I'm kicking everybody's butt!

If I wanted to pay for all that extra hoo-hah and illustrious BMW dealer network, I would have robbed the bank and begged for the nice dealer to please set one up for me, please.

I bought the FJR to ride, not to make tea for me.
Oh great. Now we're going to hear from the pro-tea contingent. Thanks a lot.
Did I hear a tea bell?

The UK AS makes tea. At least, my dealer told me that when trying to persuade me to buy one.

Unfortunately, even that temptation can't compete with SWHTPS*.

*SWHTPS: She who holds the purse strings.

trolling101.png

I have a Gen I that has (just) Wilbers F/R setup, adjusted fork oil weight, adjusted air space in the forks along with a fork brace. While the ride is neither a Goldwing nor an Aprilia RSV1000, it is a still a good sport/tourer combination. The FJR is not a race bike, nor is it a touring bike. I'm used to this suspension setup. I had a chance to put ~2k miles on a BMW K1300GT with electronic suspension on many very demanding roads in CA and feel that I have a good idea how my modestly modified FJR compares to the BMW. Even. In very tight, low speed switchbacks my FJR would have been a bit better, the BMW pushed and even in the sport mode the suspension would fully compress. The electronic suspension let me smooth out the BMW suspension on some of the few highway miles we did, and was better than the FJR. At altitude (>12k feet) where the roads were really weather beaten the electronic suspension let me adjust on the fly to relieve the pounding; if I was to stop and adjust my FJR the ride would be even.
I have been riding since my teens and I'm now well past my mid 20's and have enough riding experience to say that over all my lightly tweaked FJR is at least the equal to the K1300GT for both comfort and handling. If you find that the FJR suspension is wet noodles, can't be made comfortable or can't be made to handle acceptably then you have the wrong bike for your riding mission.

Note: While I've been pounding on the keys I see there has been lots of posting so this post may be already obsolete.
Good contrast, Yes I have found the 1300 GT ESA suspension to be a bit off the mark in dampening. Never had a problem with the front end push. Now the GT1300 motor will run away from the FJR. The FJR seems to be a little quicker than the 1600 with solo riders. I am sure your G 1 is set up quite well with wilbers.

Back on target,

I see lotz here wanting or getting the Red ES FJR (understandably as she is sweet!), but anybody have an inkling for a "Root Beer"? Kunuckians? Anyone?

New-2013-Yamaha-FJR1300-gallery.jpg

PM can feel the Flex in the FJR's front forks? Reeeeeeeally...You know, I deal with liars for a living; and you just rang the bell!

If you weren't so busy being full of crap, you could actually make some sense. FWIW, you haven't hurt my feelings or struck a nerve. I just have an adverse reaction to people that yap just to hear themselves yap. You definitely qualify.

Back on target,I see lotz here wanting or getting the Red ES FJR (understandably as she is sweet!), but anybody have an inkling for a "Root Beer"? Kunuckians? Anyone?

If they had brought the Rootbeer and ES to the USA last year, I would have had it in the garage.

Instead my 14' Red ES will be in there tonight... Yeah!!

Now the GT1300 motor will run away from the FJR.
Yea...but who really gives a flying Fu@k?

Back on target,I see lotz here wanting or getting the Red ES FJR (understandably as she is sweet!), but anybody have an inkling for a "Root Beer"? Kunuckians? Anyone?

My wife doesn't like the brown, but I think it's purty. One of the prettiest cars I ever had was a "Mocha Bronze Metallic" 2008 Chevy Impala. It was basically a metallic brown flake. That thing was gorgeous. If that brown FJR has any flake in it, I bet it is stunning in person. Besides, it's unique. I'd ride one, except red is my favorite color, black cherry is paid off, and I don't live in Canada.

"Now the GT1300 motor will run away from the FJR."...

Yeah, IF it starts. A friend of mine who loves BMWs bought one used. Fortunately, it was still under warranty becaused It refused to start and had to be hauled to the dealer twice while he had it (about 3 months). He decided to sell it before the warranty ran out and was very lucky. Two weeks after he sold it, the clutch failed!

He still has an R1200 GS and R1200 RT. Loves them but says he will will replace them before their warranties run out because they are not reliable.