The 2014 FJR1300 - Woo-hoo!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it was a thorn in his ass or a hole in his head but it does not fit in with this thread. This is a thread dedicated to the 2014 FJR. It is NOT a BMW thread and should not be. I am sure the BMW is a nice bike but we can debate the pros and cons in another thread another time.

Are we in denial? Not hardly. The 2014 FJR is the best bargain in the Sport Touring segment right now.

Nothing I could type here would ever be as eloquent as the simple perfection our friend WheatonFJR posted.

"Please don't **** up this FJR thread...

You're wrecking the good vibe of this thread.

Go to your BMWMOA site for that."

I thought we archived this thread?

And all I did was compare the color of the two bikes! Give the new FJR it's due, I commend Yamaha for making this move. I actually can't wait to go to the next rally/meet and see and talky to these new ES owners!

Just picked up my new 2014 FJR1300ES this afternoon from Hinshaw's Honda in Auburn. Big upgrade for me, moving from my 2005 with 67,000 miles, which I'm keeping as a second bike. I love the cruise control and the adjustable suspension.
Awesome. Congrats on the new bike!

I LIKEY BOTH!Can I be greedy? ...kidding... my g/f would dis-own me in a heartbeat!

And that SWEET looking deep/rich red look awfully familiar (at least to me)...

2011-BMW-K1600-red.jpg
Please don't **** up this FJR thread with pictures of Bring More Wallet because they Build Machines Weird.

You're wrecking the good vibe of this thread...

Go to your BMWMOA site for that...

biggrin.png
Dude the FJR with it's tinker toy ESA suspension and then some wet NOODLE forks is a wanta bee ! Ya all are in denial..
not_i.gif
Well Peter, maybe you should tell that to the first THREE finishers and the others that were in top 10 finishers in the 2013 IBR! No, they were not ES models but one had to look down the list to find the first BMW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LIKEY BOTH!Can I be greedy? ...kidding... my g/f would dis-own me in a heartbeat!

2011-BMW-K1600-red.jpg
Please don't **** up this FJR thread with pictures of Bring More Wallet because they Build Machines Weird.

You're wrecking the good vibe of this thread...

biggrin.png
Dude the FJR with it's tinker toy ESA suspension and then some wet NOODLE forks is a wanta bee ! Ya all are in denial..
not_i.gif
Well Peter, maybe you should tell that to the first THREE finishers and the others that were in top 10 finishers in the 2013 IBR! No, they were not ES models but one had to look down the list to find the first BMW.
I would give more credit to the riders than the bike..

Very sad that Yamaha did not give the A the front suspension the ES has. The A would be much more solid with the inverted forks. . My 08 front end revalved and sprung with Ohlins on the rear has always been a compromise to the BMW suspension.

The point is that these bikes performed well enough to finish near the top without major break downs, etc. Endurance riding is a measure of both man and machine. I'd have thought that you'd realize that, being an IBA member and all...

Very sad that Yamaha did not give the A the front suspension the ES has. The A would be much more solid with the inverted forks. .
The only difference between the A and the ES is the addition of the electronically adjustable suspension. The ES does not have the auto clutch transmission, that is only available outside of the USA. So if you want an A with the improved suspension, pay the extra grand and get an ES.

Also, FWIW, the 3rd gens (2013 and 2014) A models do not have the same suspension that your 2nd gen had in stock form. The spring rates are higher and damping has also been changed. While I cannot argue that an upside down fork would/should be more solid, the stock 3rd gen A suspension will be completely adequate for the vast majority of owners.

My 08 front end revalved and sprung with Ohlins on the rear has always been a compromise to the BMW suspension.
OK I'll bite. How the hell is a full Ohlins suspension on an FJR a compromise to a stock BMW suspension? That is a complete joke. Did you not get it set it up correctly?

...My 08 front end revalved and sprung with Ohlins on the rear has always been a compromise to the BMW suspension.
What does that even mean?

If you think the FJR doesn't perform well in the twisties, for half the cost of a Break My Wallet, then you ain't right in the head. Many on this board have no problems with it...but you seem intent on attempting to smear the 2014...which looks like a damn good bike, for dollars that no amount of BMW engineering could match.

Can't compare the 2 suspensions, start w the front; the K16 doesn't even use fork/tube suspension like the FJR. The K16 uses a cam-lever pivot type on top/inside cowling. It is a superior system at least for me, noticeably most when initial braking- going hard into a turn, I don't get that "dive" or collapse/crush factor that the FJR has with the suspension tubes. I will say that I run my FJR w stock Gen2 suspension, so others (here) w aftermarkets I'm sure are much closer to the BMW system
smile.png

And for the price, they're not all that far off, yes, the K16 still is more but not by as much as all here have said (u guys do give me a chuckle however!). Take a base model K16GT (without all the toyz n glamor) basically same as the FJR (actually still not quite as even w the Beem, the Feej would still have to have a few more base options like Xenon adaptive headlights) anyway, you are at $20K vs. the FJR ES at $15-16K.

I always wonder how close ($ wise) the two bikes would actually come if Mama did make an Ultra-FJR with the same comparable options like built-in GPS; hand grip controlled, Alpine sound system, Bike controlled BlueTooth, Central Locking (w remote), Alarm system, more indepth display like Tire f/r Pressure, Ground lighting, Heated grips but also heated separate F/R Seats, LED throughout... there's more but I won't bore you pro Yami guys. But this would be the comparison that would be equal. No, it most likely won't happen for quite awhile as Yami is sloooow (I do give cudos for finally getting a Cruise on the '13's, and ES on the '14's... they're getting there, slow but sure.

There is a reason why GM makes a Chevy and also a Cadillac. They're not for the same buyer! Plain and simple, this is the EXACT same situation here. Let the very affordable FJR be the bike it is, and let the more expensive loaded up BMW be the bike that it is. They both can survive happily and with each other!... hence why my garage will soon sport both of these fine bikes! BTW- I own both a Chevy Volt and a Cadillac CTS-V, Both are awesome in their own ways
smile.png

Now let's forget about the Beemer, this is about the new FJR and it's new advancements. I'm a fan, and the new Red ES Feej is kewl as heck.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'll bite. How the hell is a full Ohlins suspension on an FJR a compromise to a stock BMW suspension? That is a complete joke. Did you not get it set it up correctly?
Agree. If the BMW has such a superior front suspension system (and I assume Peter is referring to the R1200/K1300/K1600 platforms) I would expect to see it used in a racing/track configuration rather than the pretty conventional inverted forks used on their premium sport bike. As for the BMW's superiority in a touring platform, when I visit the BMW Forums, quite a few of the members have replaced BMW's suspension components with aftermarket suspension and report dramatic improvements. I have yet to ride a BMW that has the ride quality and overall handling capabilities of my FJR.

I LIKEY BOTH!

Can I be greedy? ...kidding... my g/f would dis-own me in a heartbeat!

[img=[URL="https://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/a/I/0/-/2011-BMW-K1600-red.jpg%5D"]https://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/a/I/0/-/2011-BMW-K1600-red.jpg][/URL]
You're wrecking the good vibe of this thread.i..

biggrin.png
not_i.gif
Yeah, we heard you the first time. Um, exactly what is "wet noodle" about it? You've never heard of the aftermarket? Are you even able to use the "wet noodle" OEM suspension to its limited potential, or did you just wake up with some kind of thorn in your ass? Me thinks you talk more than you do. Show me any bike with the perfect set up for every rider that buys it.
What happened? You fall off and now you wanna blame it on your suspension? Get beat in the twisties by a Harley??
1 - Hot rod the front forks flex like crazy

2- Aftermarket , My 08 had Ohlins rear fork revalving and spring upgrade.

3- (Are you even able to use the "wet noodle" OEM suspension to its limited potential,)

Yes

( or did you just wake up with some kind of thorn in your ass?)

Seems I struck a nerve with you, too funny Grasshopper

Agree. If the BMW has such a superior front suspension system (and I assume Peter is referring to the R1200/K1300/K1600 platforms) I would expect to see it used in a racing/track configuration rather than the pretty conventional inverted forks used on their premium sport bike. As for the BMW's superiority in a touring platform, when I visit the BMW Forums, quite a few of the members have replaced BMW's suspension components with aftermarket suspension and report dramatic improvements. I have yet to ride a BMW that has the ride quality and overall handling capabilities of my FJR.
Active member here on K1600.com

Hardly anybody has even/ever mentioned replacing their suspensions. Maybe on the lesser expensive models/forums but I would say that 99.9% K16 owners are using the factory electronic suspension.

You're wrecking the good vibe of this thread.i..

biggrin.png
not_i.gif
Yeah, we heard you the first time. Um, exactly what is "wet noodle" about it? You've never heard of the aftermarket? Are you even able to use the "wet noodle" OEM suspension to its limited potential, or did you just wake up with some kind of thorn in your ass? Me thinks you talk more than you do. Show me any bike with the perfect set up for every rider that buys it.
What happened? You fall off and now you wanna blame it on your suspension? Get beat in the twisties by a Harley??
1 - Hot rod the front forks flex like crazy

2- Aftermarket , My 08 had Ohlins rear fork revalving and spring upgrade.

3- (Are you even able to use the "wet noodle" OEM suspension to its limited potential,)

Yes

( or did you just wake up with some kind of thorn in your ass?)

Seems I struck a nerve with you, too funny Grasshopper
Sounds like you might be riding it backwards.

Hardly anybody has even/ever mentioned replacing their suspensions. Maybe on the lesser expensive models/forums but I would say that 99.9% K16 owners are using the factory electronic suspension.
My BIL has 2 BMW's both have aftermarket Ohlins suspension..JSNS.

Let's get this back on topic. 2014 FJR WooHoo!!!

My BIL has 2 BMW's both have aftermarket Ohlins suspension..JSNS.

Let's get this back on topic. 2014 FJR WooHoo!!!
Yeah but not on K16's! OK, back on WooHoo...

The point is that these bikes performed well enough to finish near the top without major break downs, etc. Endurance riding is a measure of both man and machine. I'd have thought that you'd realize that, being an IBA member and all...

Very sad that Yamaha did not give the A the front suspension the ES has. The A would be much more solid with the inverted forks. .
The only difference between the A and the ES is the addition of the electronically adjustable suspension. The ES does not have the auto clutch transmission, that is only available outside of the USA. So if you want an A with the improved suspension, pay the extra grand and get an ES.

Also, FWIW, the 3rd gens (2013 and 2014) A models do not have the same suspension that your 2nd gen had in stock form. The spring rates are higher and damping has also been changed. While I cannot argue that an upside down fork would/should be more solid, the stock 3rd gen A suspension will be completely adequate for the vast majority of owners.

My 08 front end revalved and sprung with Ohlins on the rear has always been a compromise to the BMW suspension.
(The point is that these bikes performed well enough to finish near the top without major break downs, etc. Endurance riding is a measure of both man and machine. I'd have thought that you'd realize that, being an IBA member and all.)

Look near = bikes the rider makes the difference due to routing ,conditioning etc.

(he only difference between the A and the ES is the addition of the electronically adjustable suspension. The ES does not have the auto clutch transmission, that is only available outside of the USA. So if you want an A with the improved suspension, pay the extra grand and get an ES.)

I stand corrected on this, pictures depicted the cartridge forks and USD forks

(OK I'll bite. How the hell is a full Ohlins suspension on an FJR a compromise to a stock BMW suspension? That is a complete joke. Did you not get it set it up correctly?)

Gp front suspension 1.0 Ohlins springs ,Ohlins shock. Always ride with fresh ohlins from new on the BMW. Yes setup correctly.

If I wanted to pay for all that extra hoo-hah and illustrious BMW dealer network, I would have robbed the bank and begged for the nice dealer to please set one up for me, please.

I bought the FJR to ride, not to make tea for me.

If I wanted to pay for all that extra hoo-hah and illustrious BMW dealer network, I would have robbed the bank and begged for the nice dealer to please set one up for me, please.
I bought the FJR to ride, not to make tea for me.
Oh great. Now we're going to hear from the pro-tea contingent. Thanks a lot.