The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ready for the flame job that may follow but....

Currently running PR2 on the front, and a Shinko Raven 09 on the rear. Have run the 09 on a K1200rs and a R1100s. Have never experienced any alarming handling characteristics. My bike gets ridden all year round mostly in the hills. Full Hyperpro rear and fork work. Bike had an 023 on the frt. and an Angel GT rear when I bought it. Nice combo. Honestly, I detect no handling difference with my current set up. I'm no Ricky Racer but I ride the FEEJER HARD. Tires and oil. We all know the drill. Ride safe!

Congratulations sir. You are the very first person to recommend a PR2 front only tire. Sweet for a thousand miles...then sucks donkey dick.

But if you like em, more power to ya. As far as the rear tire, I know nothing about Shinkos except others opinions secondhand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Corndog, I'll let ya know how the PR2 does. That's what I'm runnin' right now. Have had good experiences with them. On a heavy bike and a lighter one. Time will tell. I related the tires I am currently running. I didn't recommend them. I'm sure I'll make a change. Like trying different tires.

I do drive dirt road occasionally but I also run a car tire on the rear so I may not be the standard FJR rider. just trying to save a few $ & get the most miles out of my tires. Just throwing the idea out there.

There's a new player in the game, Metzeler Roadtec 01...... new tread pattern, etc... Z6 is dead it seems, a shame, I like those for the front. Not a fan of any Metzeler for the back.....https://www.metzeler.com/site/com/products/tyres-catalogue/Roadtec-01.html
Just noticed those in the last few weeks. Kind of a Michelin PR3/4 wet weather biased tread pattern. Running B'stones T30's now but if I lived and rode where it was wet a lot more often, I'd probably run the Mich's or these new Metz.

In their January 13th edition, MCN’s Michael Neeves gives his initial verdict on the new Metzeler offering:

“We tested the new Metzeler Roadtec 01 rubber at Pirelli’s wet-weather circuit in Vizzola, Milan on a Honda CB1000R, in single-figure temperatures” explains Michael.

“The tight 0.62 mile track features different grades of tarmac to simulate high and low-grip surfaces and deep puddled sections to test how a tyre deals with aquaplaning. What impressed us both is how much grip and confidence they gave and how they clung to drenched tarmac. In a straight line I had to be ruthless with the front brake to get our test bike’s ABS to kick-in, and brutal on the throttle to make the rear tyre spin. It takes a while to get your head around the amount of grip you have and how much solid wet-weather lean it allows.”

There's a new player in the game, Metzeler Roadtec 01...... new tread pattern, etc... Z6 is dead it seems, a shame, I like those for the front. Not a fan of any Metzeler for the back.....https://www.metzeler.com/site/com/products/tyres-catalogue/Roadtec-01.html
I love the Metzelers on my cruisers the ME888 and 880 before it were great tires. Got better

performance and double the mileage of any other tire I tired on the cruisers.

I really want to try a set Metzelers on the FJR. But I hear so few good opinions on them. Maybe the

roadtec is a viable alternative.

I notice on the Metzeler site they have that tire in a (HWM)Heavy Weight Motorcycle version. I

guess that would compete with the PR4GT.

Just noticed those in the last few weeks. Kind of a Michelin PR3/4 wet weather biased tread pattern. Running B'stones T30's now but if I lived and rode where it was wet a lot more often, I'd probably run the Mich's or these new Metz.

In their January 13th edition, MCN’s Michael Neeves gives his initial verdict on the new Metzeler offering:

“We tested the new Metzeler Roadtec 01 rubber at Pirelli’s wet-weather circuit in Vizzola, Milan on a Honda CB1000R, in single-figure temperatures” explains Michael.

“The tight 0.62 mile track features different grades of tarmac to simulate high and low-grip surfaces and deep puddled sections to test how a tyre deals with aquaplaning. What impressed us both is how much grip and confidence they gave and how they clung to drenched tarmac. In a straight line I had to be ruthless with the front brake to get our test bike’s ABS to kick-in, and brutal on the throttle to make the rear tyre spin. It takes a while to get your head around the amount of grip you have and how much solid wet-weather lean it allows.”
Interesting...... sounds like softer compounds (like certain Metzelers are known for). The front is single compound and the rear is dual. What we need are more longer term tire tests that rate longevity, handling, etc. too.

I love the Metzelers on my cruisers the ME888 and 880 before it were great tires. Got better

performance and double the mileage of any other tire I tired on the cruisers.

I really want to try a set Metzelers on the FJR. But I hear so few good opinions on them. Maybe the

roadtec is a viable alternative.

I notice on the Metzeler site they have that tire in a (HWM)Heavy Weight Motorcycle version. I

guess that would compete with the PR4GT.
I don't share your enthusiasm for the 880's..... awful experiences on Goldwing, harder, very slippery in the wet when half worn (seemed a common opinion). I like the Z6 front, dual compound, good wet grip, wear reasonably but the sides will go first. I could not like the Z6 rear (too noisy starting early in life), Z8 was squirmy in the hot weather. I'll give the 01's a whirl maybe next year when I need tires.

AVON 3D Ultra Sport AV79/AV80

71xdpCUhjeL._SX466_.jpg

"Performance Value (best handling for the mileage and/or price)" WINNER!

120/70ZR-17 $65.99

180/55ZR-17 $75.99

Free shipping, Free Road Hazard Warranty, no tax. Use PB-5TIRES at MCSS checkout by 3/31/16 for additional 5% discount!

I used PayPal and received free financing, no payments for 6 months! $134.88 to my door!

"Truly amazing for a sport touring tire"

"I had ridden these tires 1300 miles on my '12 GSX-R1000 before I knew they were considered ST tires- and they're considered as such by the manufacturer. Typically, ST tires are rounded and have very lazy profiles. So they turn in slowly. These are sportbike tires that last a long time. They're incredibly pointy, and turn in very fast. Grip is amazing. Stability is amazing. Treadlife is amazing. I did 600 miles on the slab at 80+, and there isn't even the beginning of a flat spot."

"I put these on my BMW R1200ST for a sport/touring trip in Porterville, CA. I was very impressed with the grip and handling. I was able to power out of corners at extreme angles and not worry about the rear tire sliding. The front tire handled hard braking well. After over 500 hard miles both tires do show a little wear. Even so, it looks like I could get 4-5k miles out of the rear which is pretty good for the way I ride. I would recommend these for an aggressive sport or sport/touring rider."

"Very nice for the price"

"Never tried Avons before, but the sale that MCSS had on these was unbelievable (70% off!). I paid attention to the marking on the sidewall and mounted it indexing the valve stem. Not a gram of weight needed- perfect balance front and rear. Was down to about 1/8" to the edge of the tire within about 50 miles. Responsive and ride well. Very good sides for rain- not sure on the tread life, but if even average, it's well worth it."

0000-avon-3d-ultra-sport-av79-front-tire-blackwall-635859385146544835.jpg
avon_3d.jpg

Not getting a flat spot on a tire after 600 miles, is not indicative of a good wearing tire...not enough data in 600 miles to evaluate that.

I've run the AVONS before, never again. I apparently got a bad front tire, complained to Avon and requested some insight on probable causes. Not one reply.

Followed the AVONS with T30s, even wear, great traction. Mileage TBD.

I used to ride on their AV45/46 Azaro ST's. Back in the day, this tire was preferred by many FJR enthusiasts. I've ridden on their AV55/56 Storms also. Never had a complaint. I'm not willing to cough up the $ for their premium priced AV65/66 Storm 3D X-M ST tire or any other over priced, over rated sport touring tire.

I look forward to putting some miles on these Avon sport tires. I will provide a review shortly.

3d_ultra_sport_avon_neumatico_moto.jpg

Curious what the word will be on the upcoming T30 EVO GT. Supposed to have improved, but they always say that. About a $60 difference between that and the PR4GT.

I wonder what changes have happend with the Roadsmarts III's coming out. Hopefully free and last for over 100k miles and stick like glue to the road lol. Seriously tho my RS 2's have been good tires and with 4k miles so far looks like all get a total of 7 perhaps 8k out of them, was hoping for a wee bit more oh well.

Walter, getting 7 or 8 around here is pretty darn good! Too many good roads to twist the wrist with or engine brake on...

Curious what the word will be on the upcoming T30 EVO GT. Supposed to have improved, but they always say that. About a $60 difference between that and the PR4GT.
EVO GTs are supposed to have "improvements to the straight-line stability and wet grip required of a touring tire", according to the marketing department at Bridgestone. Significantly absent is any discussion of the new tire's wear characteristics. My take is that they will be stickier than the regular GT.

Interestingly, on their web site they appear to be phasing out the old T30 in favor of the newer EVO and EVO GT, but still list the BT023 as an option?

I think it is true the T30 is discontinued because my local dealer says they cannot be ordered anymore and Revzilla says the same. I was told the EVO won't be in warehouses until mid-April. I'm certainly inclined to stick with PR4 like I have on front, but for $60 less on the rear for a good tire? Gets me thinking.

I think it is true the T30 is discontinued because my local dealer says they cannot be ordered anymore and Revzilla says the same. I was told the EVO won't be in warehouses until mid-April. I'm certainly inclined to stick with PR4 like I have on front, but for $60 less on the rear for a good tire? Gets me thinking.
? I have a set of EVOs in mah garage.(Though not GTs.)

Status
Not open for further replies.