The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After installing a new set of PR4's and then running mostly slab for 6000 miles on a round trip coast to coast trip earlier this month, through all sorts of weather and they still look to have lots of life left, I am really pleased with these tires so far. But to be fair, I have not had them on some good twisties for extended time (they did fine on the Dragon, but would like to run Spearfish canyon with no traffic as a 'control') Went through some down pours that had me looking for wood to build an arc, and did not feel like they were having any issues. They have my vote.

I first received my Gen 1 (2004) with new Metzler Z6s, but anxiety related to no wear indicators made me try Pirelli Angel GTs,

Have had 3 sets of those in 3 years, and now I am auditioning my first Michelin PR4 on the front.

Feels great so far, and based upon my experiences (aggressive/long trips/occasional 2-up rides), I will look to buy the Angel GTs or perhaps Michelin PR4s.

A couple of years ago I started a poll thread on what folks were finding the best tire to use on their FJRs. That data was pretty interesting, but time has marched on in the sport touring motorcycle tire industry. Newer choices are now available and some old ones are NLA.
Hey hey hey!!! Are you saying I'm old, outdated, and no longer relevant???

Well then, I.... guess you're right.
unsure.png

Nowadays I'm lucky enough to live where I belong, within an hour of the Blue Ridge Parkway. My hard-earned tax dollars are even being spent on something worthwhile for change, NCDOT is repaving a major section of two-lane backroad that covers about 40-minutes of that 60-minute journey.
punk.gif

There is a point to all this...

I don't have to get BOTH mileage and performance out of tires the way I used to "back in the day". So now I choose to spoon-on sport bike tires like Michelin Pilot Power (not Pilot Power-2, not Pilot Power-2CT, not Pilot Power-3CreditCard, just plain ole Pilot Powers.

Don't necessarily change both at the same time, but prefer to. I still have two sets of FJR wheels, so one set is almost always sitting mounted, balanced and ready for action. It also allows me the luxury of saving that 500-mile tire for a good day ride, while mounting up a brand new set to attend a special event or have a 3-day weekend with no worries about tire wear. Purchasing the second set of wheels was expensive, but that probably made the most significant positive change in my riding experience ever. Even owning two FJRs didn't make as much difference, because inevitably one always needs some type of maintenance that I didn't want to make time for.

Thought I should come back and add these notes...

Average mileage - 4,000 miles front, 2,200 rear (can you spell Chipshit Road Surfaces?)

Lowest real Miles(no donuts, burnouts or other such hooligan antics) - 1,200 rear

Most FUN miles - see Lowest Miles note above

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's been six months now since I re-opened this poll, and I think the results are quite interesting.

It shows that the Michelin PR4's are the crowd favorites for both the front and rear application, with the PR2's running second, but curiously the PR3s only do as well as the Bridgestones or Pirellis.

If you added up all 3 flavors of Pilot Roads, it shows that 65% of all FJRs are running Michelin Pilot Roads of some flavor, and that's not counting the folks running Pilot Powers, etc.

Nearly 50% of the respondents said their most important criteria was "Performance Value (best handling for the mileage and/or price), and yet the PR4's are the moist expensive tires out there. Does that mean that they are still a good value even at the higher price?

And while it is nearly a 50/50 split on those who spoon on their own tires vs. have their shop do it, and also a toss up on those who change the tires as pairs vs when they wear out, folks are predominantly running the same make/model of tire front and rear.

Hmmm...

I use to purchase the Pilot Road tires but they have become ridiculously expensive. I'm using Continental conti-motion tires which are very resonable priced, handle/stick really well and last a resonably long time. I got 7,500 on the rear tire and about 10K on the front before replacing them. In the future, I will replace as a set. Once I replaced the front tire, it felt like a new bike again.
I will take the time to both condone and condemn this choice. I know people who ran the Conti-motions on Gen-I and loved them. I ran several sets on my Gen-II and hated every minute. In fact, after I'd made my mind up to never buy them again, I ran one more set just to prove myself wrong. NOT!!!

The rear Conti-motion never seemed to handle the slightly longer geometry of the Gen-II. The rear was always stepping out and making me nervous, or at least aware that I was pushing the tire to its limit. I prefer to push the bike to its limit and not have to concern myself with whether or not the tire is up for the challenge.

All that said, I will restate that the Conti-motion seems to do very well on a Gen-I. And they are cheap!!!

If you added up all 3 flavors of Pilot Roads, it shows that 65% of all FJRs are running Michelin Pilot Roads of some flavor, and that's not counting the folks running Pilot Powers, etc.
I have a shrine with two Pirelli Diablo Stradas surrounded by candles and voodoo paraphernalia. If they come back to life, I WILL clone them somehow.

From what i read i see that in the US the Michelins are very popular there,instead in the Europe where the Bridgestones are more popular than the Michelins.

Especially the BT023 GT..Not the new T30 yet from what i see and hear..

I recently purchased a used FJR with a worn Dunlop Roadsmart (included a plug in it) and a worn Michelin Pilot Sport front. Rode it for a while and decided to replace them.I would rather replace a tire than a jacket etc. Went through this forum and talked to a lot of people. The overwhelming response for THIS motorcycle was a set of Michelins. I decided on the PR4GT The next 3-4 days will see a commute of 100 miles one way down US231 in Indiana and back daily. The first trip will be a "scrub in run" Then we will check on handling. To all of those that offered advice I say THANK YOU!.

This forum has been especially helpful with details about my new love. Thanks guys and gals!

Dave

I have a shrine with two Pirelli Diablo Stradas surrounded by candles and voodoo paraphernalia. If they come back to life, I WILL clone them somehow.
Gunny! I still think the Diablo Stradas were the best. The Angels aren't bad but nothing like the Stradas were.

Went for the "scrub in" run on the new PR4GT's today. 270 miles with about 15 in a monsoon and probably 40 on wet roads. Trip down this morning I took both hands off the bars at several different speeds. Nada. Rock steady. Turns into corners rather well. Wet traction is astonishing. I hit a rain filled groove that drenched both boots and noticed nothing in the way of hydroplane etc. At 60 mph. Running formation with the coal trucks at 65 on wet roads showed no issues at all involving a lot of corners. No severe lean angles yet. Does no good to pass a coal or logging truck. US 231 in Indy is full of them. There is just another ahead of that one. So I just roll with them. And roll they do! Very confidence inspiring in the wet. I kept tuned in to handling waiting for a slip somewhere because they are not broken in yet. Nada.Cant wait to make the same run after several hundred miles. I may see how many trucks I can pass. Bottom line: Expensive yes Worth it? Probably, tread life will answer that. Sure footed? Very good in the rain. Will push some in the near future and get impressions on dry road. Damn I love this bike!

I have about 1500 miles on a new Z6 front and a 190/55 PR4 rear (non GT) and they have seen wet. Similar experience, all stick well in the wet, and handle very well. So far I am impressed with the PR4.... heck, might even try a PR4 front next time. I'll be interested how they are near the end of life.

Wondering what the easiest/quickest tyres for turn in are?

Reading so far people say the Shinko turn in fast but then also the PR4.

Wondering what the easiest/quickest tyres for turn in are?
Reading so far people say the Shinko turn in fast but then also the PR4.
I've found that much of the hoopla expressed in forums has little to no bearing on my comfort, my bike's handling or the road conditions on which I ride.

You spend your money, you take your chances.

I just installed a Bridgestone T30 GT on the front of my 2014 ES, replacing the OEM BT023F after ~ 10k miles. The rear OE tire was replaced a while ago with a PR2. Just comparing the mounted profile shape of the T30 GT seems much steeper, with more of a triangular cross section than the BT023 GTs that I have prior experience with.

The T30 in the photo below is mounted and inflated, the old BT023F is pretty well shagged (sorry I have the tire rotations opposite each other)

IMG_0744.jpg

I haven't had a chance to scrub the tire in yet, but pased on that profile I am expecting the bike to turn in much quicker than with the rounder profile of some other tire.

I was hoping to contribute to this thread regarding the T30GT front/PR2rear combination but I've only got about 6K on that combo so far so no real data on longevity yet. (Damn FJ-09 is getting too much ride time) They are both wearing well, consistant with PR2 front and rear experience. I will say the the T30 Front is keeping its shape well. Not squaring off like the PR2 used to in its second half of life.

No handling issues with the T30, and it seems quieter (marginally) than the PR2 front. Good in rain, too.

Lovin these PR4GT's Cookin northbound on Indiana state road 39 with a CBR1000 chasing. Stopped in Monrovia for fuel and the Honda rider pulled in to check out the bike and the tires. He may or may not have been better in the corners but I know where the straights are. They are few and far between. Accelerate through the last corner with the Michelins holding just fine and let 'er eat. He never challenged on a straight. May have tried. FJR done a fine job. I'm keeping this bike forever. May try different tires someday but I don't see how they could be much better. For me and my riding. Mostly commute but when I heel her over these tires are confidence inspiring.

I guess we're supposed to post if we chose "other" for the brand.

I chose other. Admittedly, I don't try many different brands, but tend to go with the OEM tires for the particular bike.

I've used the stock Metzelers as my primary choice for FJRs.

However, on a whim, I recently had a pair of Michelin Pilot Powers installed.

Well, I've owned sport bikes, and have always pooh poohed the idea that an FJR could seriously be considered "sport bike like."

But I'm being schooled these days with these tires.

I expect that I will be lucky to get a thousand miles out of the set ... they're quite soft and the FJR is pretty doggone heavy.

But the thousand miles might be the most fun miles I'll ever see on an FJR.

I was hoping to contribute to this thread regarding the T30GT front/PR2rear combination but I've only got about 6K on that combo so far so no real data on longevity yet. (Damn FJ-09 is getting too much ride time) They are both wearing well, consistant with PR2 front and rear experience. I will say the the T30 Front is keeping its shape well. Not squaring off like the PR2 used to in its second half of life.
No handling issues with the T30, and it seems quieter (marginally) than the PR2 front. Good in rain, too.
I'm running the same combo (thanks to FredW and others) on mine for the last few thousand miles and very pleased with the handling characteristics (40psi front/42psi rear). Expecting excellent tread life based on what little I've seen so far. As long as they keep producing the PR2 rear so we can get fresh ones, I'll likely do this same reasonably-priced setup again when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.