"The Back Way" Ride -- Sat. 5/15

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exskibum

~<>~<>~<>~<>~
Reaction score
Ride report here: Reno John's ride report

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I promised to lead a ride over Old Highway 40 (which is mostly in the I-80 corridor) this spring. What this will be is "the back way", the alternative to I-80 for all but about 15 miles from Auburn to Truckee. It is mostly what is left of historic Old Hwy 40 (a part of the Lincoln Highway), with a few exceptions. It is also a ride around Lake Tahoe before tourist season arrives -- LOTS of photo ops this time of year with clouds, blue sky, deep blue lake and snow on the mountain tops. Here's the plan:

Saturday, May 15, 2010, meet @ the Starbucks at 13345 Lincoln Way in Auburn, a hundred or so yards west of Foresthill Road where it crosses I-80. From the west on 80 eastbound, take Lincoln Way exit, make a left at stop sign and find Starbucks on left @ 0.25 miles. Or take next exit, Foresthill Road, and make 2 rights to double back on Lincoln Way, finding Starbucks on immediate right. Chevron, Arco, Shell and Beacon gasoline are available within 100 yards to a quarter mile along Lincoln Way, and a Raleys supermarket is on the S.E. corner across the intersection. Lincoln Way fronting this Starbucks is a part of the old Hwy. 40.

Kickstands up at 9:30 am.

The route will begin from Starbucks and proceed up Lincoln Way past Ikedas to the Bowman on-ramp onto 80 east, where we will slab it to the Dry Creek exit. From there, we'll take the back way to Baxter, then slab it again from Baxter to Cisco Grove, where we get back on old Hwy 40 from there to Truckee. First major stop will probably be at the overlook above Donner Lake, just below the picturesque old bridge.

From Truckee, we'll take 89 to Tahoe City, then go east along the north shore on 28 to Lakeshore Drive, which we'll take through Income Village, then down the east side of the Lake on 28 and 50 to South Lake Tahoe.

For those wishing to return on the more southerly Hwy 50 or 88 corridors, you may head west from (make a left at) the Wye in SLT and proceed either (1) over Echo Summit on 50, or (2) south on (make a left at) 89 from Myers over Luther Pass to 88 west over Carson Pass (which tees into 49 in Jackson.)

The remainder of the group may follow the blond and me north on Emerald Bay Road/Hwy 89 along the west shore of Lake Tahoe to Tahoe City, and retrace our morning route in reverse, with a couple exceptions. We will omit some of Ridge Road to take Main Street through historic Dutch Flat. A little further down the hill, we will omit much of Rollins Lake Road in favor of the old Norton Grade, which really was the Old Hwy 40 in that stretch. We will also divert off 174 through old town Colfax to ride Placer Hills Road through Meadow Vista, then through Clipper Gap on old Hwy 40 (from which we can observe the CHP's regular weekend LIDAR Revenue Collection Bonanza on I-80 just to our left) to re-enter I-80 west at the Dry Creek Road on-ramp.

If you're heading back to the Marysville area, you may want to make a right (north) on Dog Bar Road from Placer Hills Road, which is a pleasant back way route to where 20 west and 49 split/intersect in Grass Valley.

This is a full day's ride, and no crashing is allowed. You'll want to have warm gear just in case, but this is THE time of year to ride this route if we get good weather. Once school lets out, the Tahoe basin is full of tourists, and NO ONE is paying attention, much less looking for motorcycles. Our morning meeting place is at about 1,400 feet elevation. The highest place on these routes is at about 7,300 feet elevation, unless you're taking 88 west, in which case, Carson Summit is at almost 8,600 feet, but Hwy 88 is open all seasons. For further reference, lake elevation for Lake Tahoe is 6,223 to 6,229 feet.

Presently ( [SIZE=14pt]2[/SIZE] hours in advance of KU), Auburn weather is expected to be "mostly sunny", with a high of 80, a low of 53 and a 0% chance of precipitation. Donner Summit weather and Tahoe City weather show highs expected to be 61 degrees, with a 10% chance of precipitation and "mostly sunny" (very scenic) spring weather. Looks like we may have 7 to 9 mph breezes along the route. To view a current weather radar image, see: RADAR link

The Likely Confirmed Suspects:

me & the blond

Old Michael

puppychow

dcarver

Rog & Deb

RsvlFeej

Bluestreek et ux.

Bokerfork

tmc

flying junior

CordovaRider

HIGHLANDER

Khunajawdge

Uberkul & Mrs.

madmike2

SacramentoMike

Toecutter

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I bring my gun? In case I gotta kill something? ;)
OK by me, but no brandishing (OK?) and . . .

while we're in California, you do know that shooting from a roadway is pretty much universally illegal?

I kinda thought that the pic you have posted on your profile page looked like the mugshot of a crazed criminal.

So much for misjudging books by their covers. :rolleyes: :p :lol:

Can hardly wait! :hyper:

I might split off from you guys once we circumnavigate the lake and head to Fernley for the weekend.

...while we're in California, you do know that shooting from a roadway is pretty much universally illegal?
RenoJohn does it all the time. He says those rules apply only to criminals.

He's got this reloader thing in his tankbag and ....I'll let him give you the details.

Looking forward to the ride, amigo. It'll be good seeing all of those beautiful faces (and Roger's too) again.

fullmetaljacket.jpg

RenoJohn does it all the time.
[SIZE=12pt]Nothing[/SIZE] RenoJohn does "all the time" would surprise me, OM. :rolleyes:

I [SIZE=12pt]am[/SIZE] surprised that you continue to have your head turned by that hooligan, though. :huh:

What the hell happened to riding on Sundays? :blink: Sorry cant make it work calls......... would love to join you guys. Let me know if you plan on showing up to that Starbucks early...say 7:30 ish and Ill say high since its on my way to the shop.

Happy roadside hunting boys.

Zac

[SIZE=12pt]Nothing[/SIZE] RenoJohn does "all the time" would surprise me, OM. :rolleyes:

I [SIZE=12pt]am[/SIZE] surprised that you continue to have your head turned by that hooligan, though. :huh:

Rich -

I too must work (drive cage) all day Friday. Won't arrive home until O'Dark:30 Friday eve. I fear this one is a creek and a half short of a Dam Full for me.

See you after the passes open up?

Christy scored 3 day passes for the races at Infinion this weekend. I am now going to have to latterly transfer the fun I was going to have with you folks to the fun I am now going to have with my daughter Erin at the races.

Thanks for setting this up Rich and you guys have a great ride.

Hotel rec's for Auburn area? I'll be riding up Friday.
Wish I had even any floor space in this crowded condo for you. But as for motel recs: it's been a long time since I've stayed in one here, and some of this is going to be based upon past experiences, a little local knowledge and net reviews after the place was taken over by new management, but kinda in this order (with no guarantees about whether the prices are reasonable):

Best Western (530) 885-8611

Comfort Inn (530) 885-1800

Quality Inn (530) 885-7025

Holiday Inn (530) 887-8787

Whatever you do, don't stay at the Elmwood (unless you need to shoot some junk or bring a low rent prostitute back to the room). Foothills wasn't even operating a couple years ago and some of their background is a bit problematic, so unless I KNEW it was new ownership and renovated, I'd be sure to pass on that one, too. The Quality Inn motel has been part of a couple different chains over the last 25 years. It was once very clean, nice and well run, then much less so for a while, but under new management appears to have it back from the look of the outside and some of the reviews.

Looks like the Comfort Inn has best rate / quality. Anyone want to split a room? Woof up before Tuesday 10:00 AM if so. $94 for two queens looks like the best rate. If no replies, I'll snag a single king for $84.

I've got this down for sure, unless the bike blows up or--well, I hate to think about what else could happen, natural disasters, civil unrest. . .

So I'll plan to be there and learn this cool secret route you've been telling us about, Rich. Weather is looking better and better.

+ "all the time" is an exaggeration. "Never at dusk" -but that's the only exception.

Don't let these guyz bring you down Michael ....in fact "Keep On Truckin' " over to NV when you're done and we'll ride shoot and drink.

Hotel rec's for Auburn area? I'll be riding up Friday.
Ya, my place in Reno.

Jeeze, am I going to have to get the bike ready to rumble in time for this gig??

Jeeze, am I going to have to get the bike ready to rumble in time for this gig??
Oh good. If you're coming, then I have to get my half hour safety lecture ready. :rolleyes:

And I call BS on the shootin' invitation. First, you already know that OM isn't about to get near one of them dreadful firesticks. Second, you declined my suggestion about ventilating those Staintunes. :p

How much snow are we getting up there in the Sierra's? I heard that it is snowing and blowing in Reno/Fernley area like it is bloody Christmas...

Just wondering how it affects some of the roads we plan on traversing?

How much snow are we getting up there in the Sierra's? I heard that it is snowing and blowing in Reno/Fernley area like it is bloody Christmas...
Just wondering how it affects some of the roads we plan on traversing?
Coming home this evening it was snowing like a Mo-Fo, a couple inches built up on the side of the windshield where the wipers squishsed it all together.

...and now here at the house spitting snow, now dryer and smaller flakes.

Supposedly chain controls in the hills.

Nothing to keep a Gen1 inside, that's for sure.

the forecast for the weekend is what you should be looking at. lately here it's either been sunny and 80's or cloudy and snowing. A day typically changes everything.