"The Back Way" Ride -- Sat. 5/15

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My SPOT tracker, just in case! Password = Don

Bailing out early mananna, lots o' back road twisties in my immediate future!

I'm going riding, I'm going riding! :yahoo:

...For your pre-ride breakfast pleasure, here's an excellent, proximally located breakfast spot (1 of 4 places I go to breakfast in Auburn*):
Sweetpeas

13498 Luther Road (on the corner of Luther Road and Bowman Road)

Auburn, CA

(530) 823-1818
Ride Leader Rich,

Myself and a couple of the other pulchritudinous puds plan on plopping down at this place by about 0745 (or 0800),

for a leisurely breakfast.

(It had better be good, ...or we'll arrive at the ride-start all cranky and gassy.)

:D

Edit - Maybe Katrina's instead. Just read the reviews for both.

Yeah. Katrina's at 0745.

Will we hafta wait?

Last edited by a moderator:
My SPOT tracker, just in case! Password = Don
Bailing out early mananna, lots o' back road twisties in my immediate future!

I'm going riding, I'm going riding! :yahoo:
Early? Pfttt....There isn't even a single track on you yet.

It's 730a you should be halfway to Auburn by now. :p

I'm going riding, I'm going riding! :yahoo: Early? Pfttt....There isn't even a single track on you yet.

No shit, and what's up with having a password?. what a phag.

....and even worse, why aren't you on Spotwalla. Dude, you're really slipping since your 60th birthday.

Yeah, but now that the lucky bastage is rolling, it looks like he's going to molest some awful fine Sierra and Sierra foothills roads on his way north. :envy icon:

Yeah, but now that the lucky bastage is rolling, it looks like he's going to molest some awful fine Sierra and Sierra foothills roads on his way north. :envy icon:
Yeah no shit. Here I sit working though my piles of paper. Who's fooling who? :(

Don is on Sheep Ranch Road, I guess he is bringing the Dual Sport? :)

I wonder if he is heading towards Jesus Maria Road, let's see...

You mean I don't have to pay $150 to ride with some friends ? :rolleyes: Is there enough room on the wagon train for an old slow guy ? ;) I think I may join ya bums for a quick ride. :D

My parts are in. I'll be replacing the front stay tomorrow.

Y'all have fun.....and BE SAFE!

You mean I don't have to pay $150 to ride with some friends ? :rolleyes: Is there enough room on the wagon train for an old slow guy ? ;) I think I may join ya bums for a quick ride. :D
Oh my! There's a voice we haven't heard for awhile.

Dave, there will always be room for you on any ride.

Old slow guy??? ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, I'll be damned. Look who the cat dragged in!

Of course there's room for you, ya old slow guy. See ya before 9:30 a.m.

I'm going riding, I'm going riding! :yahoo: Early? Pfttt....There isn't even a single track on you yet.

No shit, and what's up with having a password?. what a phag.

....and even worse, why aren't you on Spotwalla. Dude, you're really slipping since your 60th birthday.
RJ - That Sheep Ranch Road was one goat trail you need to molest - just sayin'... I got some great pix for later..

Tell yah what, making the intitial route with Google Maps then downloading to the Zumo is the cat's meow.. I had 90% 2 lane goat road and perfect weather. Eat your heart out.. :yahoo:

Hey, that road is BusaNut's fantasy, take it easy, huh?

Dave, it would be GREAT to see you again! :yahoo:

Hey, that road is BusaNut's fantasy, take it easy, huh?
Glad you had a fun on Sheep Ranch Road. Very fun Goat Trail. I was just wondering if you were going to branch off to Jesus Maria Road, which is another fun trail which drops you onto Hwy 26. Although Railroad Flats is an awesome road in it's own rights, but not exactly a goat trail.

Well being that Dave is apparently going to be a part of this ....

I'm not going down to Auburn, but I'm about to head out and will attempt to intercept the backdoor boyz at the Donner Lake overlook

my no password protected SpotWalla tacking here CLICKY

Sorry, I got separated from the group. I stopped at Colfax to wave a couple of riders behind me on the right path, but then got stuck behind a fracking Truck with a boat trailer and lost sight of those two riders, they probably turned off onto Rollins Lake Road, but I didn't see them waiting at a turn - were you?

I missed that Rollins Lake turn and went pretty far down Hwy 174 before I realized I missed that turn and then turned around and found Rollins Lake Road and pretty much traced Old Highway 40 (I think anyway as I got lost and hit dead end roads a couple of times and then backtracked onto the right way, but damn it I was determined to trek the back roads for as long as I could!) all the way to Baxter from where I slabbed it to Hwy 89 and Truckee and I ran into a Pashnit group with that girl FJR rider who wears that high visibility suit, but our group was nowhere to be found, I think you guys stopped at the Donner Lake overlook but I didn't remember you guys were stopping there so I think I actually passed you guys by.

I called Patrick from Truckee and left a voicemail - at this point I was still thinking you guys were ahead of me, I rode to Tahoe City - still no sign of you guys, so I rode on and then left another voicemail with Patrick from South Lake Tahoe as he was the only one whose number I had from the group, pretty much told him I was doing my own ride and that not to worry for me I was doing fine and having fun! :)

I circled the lake ate lunch at Tahoe City and then took Mt. Rose Hwy into Reno and then beyond to see the King of Fernley.

Next time guys!

So that's what happened to you, Sam!!! Yep, you missed Rollins Lake Road. Those of us up front realized we had lost you at the overlook on Donner Pass Road (if you came east on 80 over the summit, we were south of you, behind Boreal Ridge Ski Area -- 40 goes through on that side of that mountain ridge from the Soda Springs exit). Rog and Deb said they saw you go by somewhere around Colfax and tried to wave you down, so we knew you were alright, but no one seemed to know how or why we lost you. That's the problem with a ride that starts with 12 bikes -- I can't count that high in my mirrors. If I only see 7, I know someone is missing, but if 11 of 12 are in the mirrors, it looks like the whole group is still there. Gotta get new Starcom headsets so I an use my bike to bike radio again.

Easy to see why you'd run into dead ends trying to find the route. You do have to know where to turn in a few critical places, especially from Gold Run east. The meet place (in case someone got lost) was the Chevron Station at the Donner Lake exit (first Truckee exit from the west). We figured we'd see you there, but when we didn't, we assumed you'd gone on to Fernley. Sorry to have missed you for much of the ride, but it was nice to finally meet you in the a.m.

Who is the King of Fernley, anyway? It can't be RenoJohn -- that miscreant showed up at the Donner Lake overlook on old 40. He hid his bike behind a snow bank and across a pond, so we didn't spot him until we'd already turned in -- too late to bolt. I offered to share a safety lecture with him, but he refused. :rolleyes:

Excellent day!

IMG_8690edit.jpg

Where the hell is Carver? He was supposed top follow me home but apparently got a better offer from Rsvlfeej aka Patrick. Last time I saw him he was getting off the freeway in Roseville behind Patrick while I frantically waved him to stay on the freeway. Anybody seen him since?

Mark