The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to page 7 of this thread and couldn't stand it any longer (in a good way, tho). I haven't read yet (didn't find anything in a quick search, either) if.... The Fly By Wire thottle takes less pressure to twist than the other generations? Ajdustable?
OK, now I'm gonna dig back to find page 8 and continue reading. So far, it's reading like it may be time to go back to a new bike WITH a clutch handle! I think I remember how to work that left hand.... maybe...
Hey Rocket, no doubt in my mind....
bye.gif

I got to page 7 of this thread and couldn't stand it any longer (in a good way, tho). I haven't read yet (didn't find anything in a quick search, either) if.... The Fly By Wire thottle takes less pressure to twist than the other generations? Ajdustable?
OK, now I'm gonna dig back to find page 8 and continue reading. So far, it's reading like it may be time to go back to a new bike WITH a clutch handle! I think I remember how to work that left hand.... maybe...
I dont think its adjustable, but not sure. Nothing in the owners manual suggests it is. It definitely takes less force to twist. Feels pretty good.
It's not fly-by-wire...just really good cable routing.

Z
Well, except for that whole fly-by-wire thing.... :)

I dont think its adjustable, but not sure. Nothing in the owners manual suggests it is. It definitely takes less force to twist. Feels pretty good.
It's not fly-by-wire...just really good cable routing.

Z
Well, except for that whole fly-by-wire thing....
smile.png
Yet it is NOT truly fly-by-wire.......

There are the same throttle cables going from the grip to the side of the throttlebodies where they then attach to some kind of electrical gadgetry. So while not directly a mechanical set-up, and primarily throttle by wire, there are still throttle cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
That electrical gadgetry is a doodad that figures out where the grip is twisted to, which information the computer uses to send a signal to an actuator on the actual throttle. The very definition of fly-by-wire.

If that grip position sensor were actually up in the grip would it be "more like" fly-by-wire?

The fact that there are throttle cables is irrelevant. They don't directly control the throttle position, but conrol an input device for the computer to use. You're telling the computer how much throttle you'd like, and it complies, according to selected program mode and possible override from the traction control. Also, that "how much throttle you'd like" can come from the cruise control, not just the right-hand grip.

...If that grip position sensor were actually up in the grip would it be "more like" fly-by-wire?...
I don't know why Yamaha used cables down to the throttle bodies, but it does keep open farkle options. We can still replace the throttle tube, grips, add something like a G2 cam and perhaps any type of throttle lock to work around the poorly designed cruse control
wink.png

"The rider can "mechanically close" the throttles by simply closing the throttle twist grip."

Probably the reason why the cables were retained -- a safety issue. If the electrics go wonky you can overpower the servo and close the throttle valves.

I think the correct term is TPI (throttle position indicator). There are cables from the throttle, but they dont open the butterflys...the TPI does that. You can probably find more info on the yamaha site, but I am too lazy too look it up.

"The rider can "mechanically close" the throttles by simply closing the throttle twist grip."
Probably the reason why the cables were retained -- a safety issue. If the electrics go wonky you can overpower the servo and close the throttle valves.
Um? You haven't, ah, ridden a Gen III, have you? Set the CC and then let go? Because if I set the CC and let go of the right hand grip- the grip goes to what you would think of as the "closed" position. From that point on, actual throttle position (butterflies opening / closing) does nothing at the handgrip. If I roll the right grip forward, it disables CC.

So yeah, even having the cables is kind of a big WTF, except the hardware (throttle grip assembly & TPI) were already in place, and perfecting the feel of a throttle without that hardware is probably still being worked on.

...If that grip position sensor were actually up in the grip would it be "more like" fly-by-wire?...
I don't know why Yamaha used cables down to the throttle bodies, but it does keep open farkle options. We can still replace the throttle tube, grips, add something like a G2 cam and perhaps any type of throttle lock to work around the poorly designed cruse control
wink.png
Yeah that makes a lot of sense......this by far the nicest throttle action of any bike i have ever ridden...why would you replace the grip? do you not like heat?

R

Yeah that makes a lot of sense......this by far the nicest throttle action of any bike i have ever ridden...why would you replace the grip? do you not like heat?
Me likie heat, how ever, after reading a lot of weirdness from some Formites there is no telling what they may do. You never know when some guy that lives in Key West may prefer larger comfort grips instead of hard heated grips. There are a lot of heated grips that are in the 2-3 ohm range that could be swapped for the OEM grips that may offer different softness or over-all diameter. Anyway just pointing out something that a person could do, not saying that many or any would change the grips.

I really like the new features that the '13 has, even the 'wounded ware' cruse control. I'm probably going to sit out the first year but I'm stuffing my change jar in anticipation of updating to a Gen III at some point. The BMW we rode in October was similarly equipped and I really liked the way all the features were integrated into the operating system, I just didn't like the way BMW executed (pun?) the design.

Last edited by a moderator:
the poorly designed cruse control
wink.png
From what I've read, it's a very well designed cruise control. It's more that it was poorly implemented is all.

I'd love to change out the grips on my Gen II. These $300 grips are too hard and not grippy enough for me, but I'll be damned if I remove $600 worth of parts. It is one item of personalization that Yamaha has taken away.

The winkie in my post was intended to indicate a tongue-in-cheek comment. You said it the way I meant, poorly implemented, the cruise does work quite well within the design limits.

Furthermore, for the vast majority of the US (maybe the world) having a cruise control that only works at 82 mph and below isn't a very big handicap. In the entire eastern US, 65mph is the going speed limit, so setting a cruise control to anything north of 80 isn't very likely. You very well may ride at higher speeds, but not on cruise because you'll want to decelerate PDQ when the radar detector goes off signalling the impending loss of licensure.

The newest factory heated grips from Yamaha are much softer than the ones I had on my '06 FJR. Maybe they get harder with time and heating? Anyway, imho for the time being, the standard heated grips are very hard to top. and the 10 level adjustment range (choose your favorite 3) is just icing on the cake.

The winkie in my post was intended to indicate a tongue-in-cheek comment. You said it the way I meant, poorly implemented, the cruise does work quite well within the design limits.
Gotcha, sorry I missed that. The feature has taken a lot of heat I think. Seems like it'd be a simple fix for Yamaha though.

The newest factory heated grips from Yamaha are much softer than the ones I had on my '06 FJR. Maybe they get harder with time and heating? Anyway, imho for the time being, the standard heated grips are very hard to top. and the 10 level adjustment range (choose your favorite 3) is just icing on the cake.
Hrm, I'll have to take a closer look at the next '13 I see in person. I didn't notice the grips at all on the display unit at the motorcycle show. Most of my gloves work ok on the factory 07 grips, however my winter gloves I have to hang on harder as they tend to not be as grippy with them.

I find that grip puppies work fine with my heated grips and address most of those stated problems and at about ten bucks not a huge investment if you decided to return to the naked grips. Just my 2 cents.
smilingsmiley.gif

I find that grip puppies work fine with my heated grips and address most of those stated problems and at about ten bucks not a huge investment if you decided to return to the naked grips. Just my 2 cents.
smilingsmiley.gif

I might have to try the Grip Puppies. I have the Grip Buddies on there right now. I am not happy with them. They will be coming off soon.

I've been considering them myself. Might have to bite the bullet and give them a whirl. They are so expensive though!
biggrin.png