The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're back!
grin.gif
Font, Size, Bold, Italics, Underline, It's all back.
lol.gif
Nothing there before no matter what I clicked, Jason u da man.
hyper.gif
Glad I could be of assistance.
Holy crap Z! I don't think my short ass could see over all of that!!! Nice setup and welcome to the FJR world.
Ah! Apparently the mystery continues. Seems that from the laptop at home every thing is there but the computer at work has nothing. Technology ???? :-(

I apologize for disrupting the OP's thread and I thank y'all for the advice and encouragement on the FJR. If for some weird reason you ended up with a Wing, old Katana, old Triumph or Norton and found yourself on a new forum trying to learn the ins and outs of your new ride that you are pumped about, you'd know where I'm coming from and where I'm at. I can loosely see where I want to go with this bike but am trying to avoid making the same mistakes that have been made before. This is the best platform I've ever had to build off of and want to do it right. There are things that are common knowledge to you FJR veterans that are Greek to me. I've got to try to narrow that gap.

011.jpg

Thanks for you patience and I'll get out of your hair for now as I still have a lot more reading to do.

I'll be back.

Z

They're back!
grin.gif
Font, Size, Bold, Italics, Underline, It's all back.
lol.gif
Nothing there before no matter what I clicked, Jason u da man.
hyper.gif
Glad I could be of assistance.
Holy crap Z! I don't think my short ass could see over all of that!!! Nice setup and welcome to the FJR world.
Ah! Apparently the mystery continues. Seems that from the laptop at home every thing is there but the computer at work has nothing. Technology ???? :-(
Updated the Browser. It works, woohoo!
yes2.gif

With the Christmas holidays over and all the company out of the house, I finally went out ot the garage today to sit, stare and fiddle with the new bike. Since we've had crap weather, I have no riding time. The only things I can add to what's been said here already are that the side panel things aren't as fiddly to adjust as I'd read and my suspension clickers have a lot more clicks in their adjustment range than the averages stated in the manual. I have 30 clicks in the fork and 32+ in the shock. The manual says to expect some differences but it says each end should have around 20 clicks +/-. Oh well...ymmv.

As has been said here, the whole dash thing is very intuitive to use and to program. In the 14 mile ride home last Saturday the cruise held its speed perfectly (the 80mph limit thing likely won't bother me much) and it already shifts very smoothly. Throttle is nice and light and in T mode is very easy to modulate, a big improvement over the abrupt on/off of the '06. Screen adjustment is indeed much faster and the footpegs are vibration free. I like the color of the bike but I think I like the dark grey color of the engine covers on the Gen II better. Black wheels are ok, back to Gen I there, no real preference on that. I kinda like the chrome strips on the bags, looks good with the grey color. I like its "fairing face" but didn't dislike the Gen II at all, a toss up although the new LED blinker/marker lights look better imho. I much prefer the dash of this Gen III and the fact you can operate it from the bars is nice.

Can't wait to get some miles on it but the forecast says that may be a while. So far, she looks to be a worthy upgrade imo.
coolsmiley02.gif

Damn you guys!
Well I never thought I would want to replace my 08 AE so soon. The Granite gray is my favorite FJR color and they don't offer an AE version any longer, but you guys have me jacked up and I may have to claim the first 2013 FJR at my local dealer. Thinking i'll have to stop by in the morning and goad them into uncrating and assembling it up for me.

I find it hard to say, but I think you'll find a pristine 08 AE with 15K coming up for sale soon. I'm going to sorely miss that sweet AE transmission. I love shifting my other bikes but the FJR finger shifter is the cat's ass!
Stopped in today under the guise of buying an oil filter for the my son's R6. My sales guy sees me at the parts counter and says they have their first and only FJR assembled and rolled out on the floor a couple hours before i got there. He asks if I'm interested, so I say maybe, depends on how much they have to have for it. He shoots me a price I wasn't ready to say no to and now #309 is mine.

Coming for reluctant sale soon, pristine 08 AE!

Stopped in today under the guise of buying an oil filter for the my son's R6. My sales guy sees me at the parts counter and says they have their first and only FJR assembled and rolled out on the floor a couple hours before i got there. He asks if I'm interested, so I say maybe, depends on how much they have to have for it. He shoots me a price I wasn't ready to say no to and now #309 is mine.
I resemble that remark. Went to look, they were way more reasonable on price than I expected.

I resemble that remark. Went to look, they were way more reasonable on price than I expected.
I sure wish the dealers in Texas were as reasonable. Although I have one on order that will be here in the February batch through a major Houston dealer I've done a lot of business with at a 10% discount plus $300 freight/prep ($14,600 plus TTL), I called around over the last month to dealers in all of the major Texas cities and they all had just one from the first batch and the best I could get was a 2% discount plus $600 freight/prep--pass. I don't understand why some dealers think they have to hold out for a premium on a new model--seems like they would just want to sell more bikes. I guess some people will pay MSRP+ just to be the first--not me, I'll just wait another month thank you.

I sure wish the dealers in Texas were as reasonable. Although I have one on order that will be here in the February batch through a major Houston dealer I've done a lot of business with at a 10% discount plus $300 freight/prep ($14,600 plus TTL), I called around over the last month to dealers in all of the major Texas cities and they all had just one from the first batch and the best I could get was a 2% discount plus $600 freight/prep--pass. I don't understand why some dealers think they have to hold out for a premium on a new model--seems like they would just want to sell more bikes. I guess some people will pay MSRP+ just to be the first--not me, I'll just wait another month thank you.
Sounds like you got a fair price but its two bad you have to wait till February. I'd like to feel bad for your wait cause I already have mine but its sort of winter here. All I can do is sit on it in the garage and look out the window at the snow and wait for my trip to Texas hill country for some riding in February. Whooo hoo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you got a fair price but its two bad you have to wait till Feruary. I'd like to feel bad for your wait cause I already have mine but its sort of winter here. All I can do is sit on it in the garage and look out the window at the snow and wait for my trip to Texas hill country for some riding in Feburary. Whooo hoo!
STOP- Farkle time!

(ta da da dum, da dum, da dum...)

Hey, some of us have to actually wear a liner in our jacket from time to time. It makes the jacket fit all snug and stuff and is uncomfortable. Plus it's so annoying to have to close a vent or two in the helmet. Those icy little drafts will drive you nuts. Makes me almost just want to park the bike for the winter.